Six Flags Great America?

This forum is for the discussion of various gatherings, get-togethers and other social aspects held or undertaken by members of this community, including Gathering 2002. Please tag all threads with the location and month of the event, as shown here.
Thorn
Wuffle Student

Six Flags Great America?

Post by Thorn »

So hey - while roadtripping this weekend Caz and I drove past Six Flags Great America, which is a few hours' drive from Fox Lake (according to Mapquest, just under three hours). Regular admission is US$39.99, though if we can put a group of 20 together and pre-order by three days, we would pay US$28.75 (as well as receiving an additional free ticket - so really a group of 21 would be in order). It's kind of expensive, but if folks are interested in an amusement park, it's the best bet in the area.

I'm cool with skipping it, but then, I live relatively nearby. If there are people dying to go, though, it's an option. Just thought I'd throw it out there.
_<font color=red size=2>Just wait until I finish knitting this row.</font>
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

If they have massive, fuck-off large rollercoasters and things that make you withstand 6 or 7 G's, then I'm down.
Reika
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Reika »

Eh, I dunno, I'm sorta going to be strapped for cash since I'm thinking of trying to hit GenCon, and really, folks can go to amusement parks at any time. If we're going to have a big outing, I'd rather try paintball, just better make sure there's a hospital nearby because I'm likely to damage myself. :D
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

DV8 wrote:If they have massive, fuck-off large rollercoasters and things that make you withstand 6 or 7 G's, then I'm down.
Um, Dennis? Just look at the great big fuck off rollercoaster shown right on the front page. If that's not enough,
Déjà Vu™
Déjà Vu™ combines state-of-the-art thrill ride technology with a brand new twist - riders fly forwards AND backwards over twisting, looping inverted steel track.

Vertical Velocity™
Strap in and fly the fast track this summer aboard Midwest's Most Extreme Thrill Ride Ever! A spiraling corkscrew atop the first vertical tower gives you a wicked whirl just as you reach its already dizzying heights.

Raging Bull™
Six Flags Great America's tallest, fastest, longest roller coaster is the first of its kind in the world.

Batman the Ride
The world's first inverted, outside-looping coaster features state-of-the-art technology as you flash through Gotham City!
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
Silent Sniper
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Silent Sniper »

You know, as the planning continues, I am getting more and more mad that I can't go to the Gathering this year. :(
_
The Duke of Slack
Wielder of the Axe of Mass Destruction
Keeper of the Food Loaf

Quote of the random period of time:
Beware, naughty children, for the bells herald Santa's dark harvest of souls...
Eliahad
Squire of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eliahad »

You and me both.
Chocolate sauce on a buttery nipple. *Bliss*
Thorn
Wuffle Student

Post by Thorn »

Yep. Massive fuck-off, large rollercoasters galore. Some of them I can't vouch for, but Shockwave kicks ass, and so does Batman. I looooove the outside-looping coasters.

[EDIT: Just a side note - the crowds are of course worse on weekends, so planning a trip during the "work" week might be best. But hey, I have no real opinion there. Also, it isn't much, but if a group of 20 can't be put together, typically Coca-Cola does a deal where if you bring in one of their specially marked cans, you get $5 off or something. I'll keep my eyes open.]
Kwyndig
Grand Marshall of the Imperium
Location: The Orbiting Volcano Lair, high above the surface of Bulldrek

Post by Kwyndig »

Funny you should mention this Thorn, the last couple of years my employer has been giving me coupons for discount admission to the Six Flags park (Great America is north of Chicago correct?) I've been to the one upstate, and as a much younger kitten to the one in Saint Louis.

If they do give me some coupons or some such again this year, I'll let you know.
kwyndig@yahoo.com This sig for rent, reasonable rates
Thorn
Wuffle Student

Post by Thorn »

Thanks Kwyn!! That'd be great!!
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

DV8 wrote:If they have massive, fuck-off large rollercoasters and things that make you withstand 6 or 7 G's, then I'm down.
Hell yeah!!!

-[edit]-
The days in order of busiest to quietest tend to run Sun, Fri, Sat, Mon, Thur, Tues and Wed (both are about the same)..
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Mu Heh, water rides and coasters...
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

There's water rides???
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

As memory serves there's a giant innertube ride and a flume ride and the best part about the flume ride is at the end. There's a bridge over the final drop and you can stand there and get the crap blasted out of you every 5 or so minutes. We'd better tell Dennis not to wear is expensive italian leather shoes.
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

I'd go I suppose if everyone else is going, although I have no great desire to drive 3 hours to go to something that normally takes me 30 minutes to get to. But then I still haven't been to Six Flags yet, so it's a new XP. Whatever... cows....

MooCow
The waffling cow
Eva
Baron of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eva »

I don't think I'll be going. Don't get me wrong, I love rollercoasters and water rides as much as the next Caz, but 1. it's 3 hours away, 2. it's $40,- and 3. I can do this type of stuff at home.
One time I built a matter transporter, but things got screwed up (long story, lol) and I ended up turning into a kind of half-human, half-housefly monstrosity.
Sorrow
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Sorrow »

Caz's memory is right ... the flume ride is awesome.
<hr size=1 color=#5c7898><font face=font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" color=#6600FF>The more I overcome, the stronger I become
- Angel of Ruin<a href=http:\/www.chaosengine.com>.</a></font>
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

While I'm /certain/ Six Flags would be a very fun time, it has been my experience that when Bulldrekkers get together, the thing they lack the most is "enough time to just sit and talk to each other." While /doing/ things is fun, what we need most is just raw, unrestricted access to each other to talk and swap stories and drink beers. [Or whatever.] I spent a good portion of time with Caz and Thorn this weekend, and the thing that struck me most was how fun it was to sit and talk to them, to listen to Thorn's family life and marvel at the similarity to my own, and watch Caz try to get a word in edgewise between Thorn and I. :)

Anyway, the point is this: don't worry too much about things to do, anyone. At the end of it, we'll all be thinking, "Man, I wish I'd had more time to sit and talk to _____." No one will be thinking, "Man, I wish I'd gone on Splash Mountain one more time."

Still, I /am/ partial to waterparks...
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

3278 wrote:...it has been my experience that when Bulldrekkers get together...
Funny. In my experience, when Bulldrekkers get together, security really earns that paycheck. :D
</font>
Bethyaga
Knight of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Bethyaga »

I'm really in the I-just-wanna-spend-time-with-you-guys camp here. A three hour drive means six hours of driving, which means one entire day of the Gathering is used up on an amusement park. I have maybe three whole days to spend with you, and I don't want one of them lost to an amusement park.

Not that I wouldn't enjoy it... I would. I would have a great time, but I think my time is better spent in other ways.

If everyone decides to go to Six Flags, I will pioneer the Stuffy Old Codgers Brigade, and the few of us will sit around the empty cabin talking old times while you young whippersnappers go out and have fun with your fancy "roller coasters".
_Whoever invented that brush that goes next to the toilet is an idiot, cuz that thing hurts.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Bethyaga wrote:If everyone decides to go to Six Flags, I will pioneer the Stuffy Old Codgers Brigade, and the few of us will sit around the empty cabin talking old times while you young whippersnappers go out and have fun with your fancy "roller coasters".
I'm with you, old man. Two words for you: Fucking Pontoon Boat. We'll sail the waters of the massive Fox Lake, modern pirates searching for booty, ramming fishing boats and waving our canes, the old dogs of the sea, spearing jetskiers with stolen fishing poles, rasing the Jolly Roger and a pint, buccaneers of the old school. While Eva and Mrs. Bethy shake their heads and compare notes on marriage to lunatics.
Bishop

Post by Bishop »

3278 wrote:
I'm with you, old man. Two words for you: Fucking Pontoon Boat. We'll sail the waters of the massive Fox Lake, modern pirates searching for booty, ramming fishing boats and waving our canes, the old dogs of the sea, spearing jetskiers with stolen fishing poles, rasing the Jolly Roger and a pint, buccaneers of the old school. While Eva and Mrs. Bethy shake their heads and compare notes on marriage to lunatics.

2 words: I'm fucking driving. :withstupid
Pax Romana, Motherfucker.
Breaker of unbreakable things.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Fucking A.
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

I'm for the just hanging. That's what I loved most about the last one was just sitting and listening to people talk for hours on end, get to hear lots of cool stuff, occasionally tell as tory, just chill.

Well, that and I can't afford $30 on top of what I'm already spending on this. :7
_
"Are you alright?"
"I'm a little fucked up in general so its hard to tell."
Thorn
Wuffle Student

Post by Thorn »

and watch Caz try to get a word in edgewise between Thorn and I.
Poor guy never stood a chance, did he? ;)
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Not really.
Salvation122

Post by Salvation122 »

3278 wrote:Two words for you: Fucking Pontoon Boat.
The mathematician can't count...
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Salvation122 wrote:
3278 wrote:Two words for you: Fucking Pontoon Boat.
The mathematician can't count...
See? Some people laugh, and the others need an explanation. Get this...
Bethyaga
Knight of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Bethyaga »

3278 wrote:See? Some people laugh, and the others need an explanation. Get this...
Whippets.
_Whoever invented that brush that goes next to the toilet is an idiot, cuz that thing hurts.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

I love whipped cream from a can.
Kwyndig
Location: The Orbiting Volcano Lair, high above the surface of Bulldrek

Post by Kwyndig »

*Wishes he had a rolling eyes kitty smiley right now.*

Anyway, if this does indeed happen, I suppose I'll just be hanging out with the Old Codgers. Not from lack of funds or anything, I just hate roller coasters and whatnot.

Little thing you probably didn't know about me: I'm deathly afraid of heights.
kwyndig@yahoo.com This sig for rent, reasonable rates
Bull
Tasty Human

Post by Bull »

Hoestly, I'm not much on amusement parks. The overall idea isn;t bad, but in August, in the summer like this, even on a weekday you're going to spemnd an hour in line for half the rides.

I loath standing in lines. Especially for something I don't really enjoy all that much and lasts for a grand total of a minute. <shrug>

If you guys really want to do an amusement park sometime, first off, fuck 6 flags, you want Cedar Point up in Sandusky, Ohio, about an hour west of Cleveland. Makes Flaggy look like a bunch of pikers. Second, we'll go in like late september/early october on a tuesday orr wednesday morning. The park is EMPTY then.

But yeah, overall, I'm cool with hanging out at the camp, just having talk and game time there. But for those that want to go, more power to you. Take sun screen with you :]

Bull
Bull's Place at Dumpshock!

"Order is Illusion! Chaos is Bliss! Got any Fours?"
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

If we do go, can I burn the place down on the way out?

I'm all for the staying at the cabin and playing games thing. And BBQing my relatives. BBQing *LOTS* of my relatives. Specifically young ones, who were cut off in the prime of their lives, killed in horribly excruciating pain, while their mothers watched. It gives the meat a really nice tang..... :)

MooCow
The Pyro cow
Instant Cash
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Instant Cash »

You really need to get laid Moo.

Too much angst
I want to shoot one of these Church kids and ask them "Where is your god now!"
-Big Jim
Jaded
Tasty Human

Post by Jaded »

DV8 wrote:I love whipped cream from a can.
I thought you disliked whipped cream...oh, never mind!

:conf