[Paintball] A Couple options

This forum is for the discussion of various gatherings, get-togethers and other social aspects held or undertaken by members of this community, including Gathering 2002. Please tag all threads with the location and month of the event, as shown here.
Instant Cash
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

[Paintball] A Couple options

Post by Instant Cash »

Ok so while sitting here on IRC, I found a field near GR that people might be interested in.

Option #1 :crack

Or people who actually have a cluse where some of the towns are can look through this list and see if you find anything that makes sens.

Option #2 :crack

So, what say you? Course I do not know why I am teasing myself like this, I do not know the next time I will be able to play with the house thing coming. Course doesn't mean I can't share the love. :D

:cool
I want to shoot one of these Church kids and ask them "Where is your god now!"
-Big Jim
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Well, <a href="http://www.riverfrontpaintball.com/">Option 1</a> has two fields. The first, <a href="http://www.gunlakepaintball.com/glmap.html">Gun Lake Paintball</a>, is south of Grand Rapids, by maybe 45 minutes. The second, <a href="http://www.gunlakepaintball.com/rfmap.html">River Front Paintball</a>, is apparently in downtown Grand Rapids, perhaps a mile [about ten blocks] from Teja's house.

Option 2, I'll look through in a minute.
Instant Cash

Post by Instant Cash »

Yeah, Riverfront is the indoor while gunlake is the outdoor, owned by the same people from what I can tell.

They had some really good prices.
-Big Jim
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

<a href="http://www.gunlakepaintball.com/fields.html">Gun Lake</a> has a <a href="http://www.gunlakepaintball.com/images/ ... g">groomed forest</a> field, as well as an <a href="http://www.gunlakepaintball.com/images/ ... airball</a> field. The downtown location, Riverfront, has an <a href="http://www.gunlakepaintball.com/images/rfpb.gif">indoor airball</a> field.
River Front Paintball wrote:Sitting right off the Grand river in downtown Grand Rapids and old three-story building that has been transformed into a great indoor airball location. Riverfront Paintball has everything from a large-area heater to 360-degree netting around the field. If you're looking for fast-paced tournament airball during the winter months, then look no further! Come and check out Riverfront Paintball!
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Option 2 has a couple of fields within an hour or so, one in Belding, one in Holland. There are several - /several/ - in mid-michigan, which might be nice as a central location, although I don't know if anyone /lives/ there. Paul lives closest to the center of the state, really.

Paul, do you remember which field we went to? I know Jared Crick used to go to Pinckey.

If I have time, later, I'll try to look some of these other ones up.
Instant Cash

Post by Instant Cash »

Here is another List of MI fields in case that other site missed a few.
-Big Jim
Toon
Bulldrek Junkie
Location: Stuck to the grate right outside the sewage treatment plant.

Post by Toon »

3278 wrote:Option 2 has a couple of fields within an hour or so, one in Belding, one in Holland.
Looing at the fields available... Here's my take on things.

Gun Lake paintball in Wayland:
Looks okay. Only 2 fields, Woodball and Airball. The Airball field looks like your standard tournament inflatable-bunker speedball environment. Woodball looks like it would be a nice place to play, andI already know I'd be wanting to spend almost the entire day there. $15 field fees, $10 rentals (Tippmann 98 Customs, includes air), $10 BYOP fee, field paint is low quality for $50 or high quality for $60, $3 all-day air for non-renters, Group rates that drop below $15 at 20 or more players.
Projected cost: $50 renters, $48 non-renters (assuming splitting cases between pairs)

Woodland Paintball in Belding:
Looks decent. 4 fields. Indoor Speedball; Hyperball; Woods Field; Mound Field. The one that stands out the most to me is the Hyperball, Woods Field looks fairly standard from what I'm seeing as does the Indoor Speedball. Pricing isn't bad. BYOP with no fee for people with their own equipment, Field Paint only in rentals. Field Paint is $45 for White Box (good for those renting guns) and $50 for the higher quality rounds. Field fee is $10 for a day, unlimited air included. Gun rentals are $5. Barrel socks only - plugs are not allowed. 3-round burst firing mode is allowed.
Projected cost: $37.50 renters (assuming splitting white box cases between pairs), $10 non-renters (not including paint; bring your own.)

M-40 Paintball in Holland:
Not that much information on their page. Indoor (16000 sqft of industrial building, divided out into rooms and corridors, and filled with bunkers) and outdoor (2.5 acres, partially wooded). Air tank refills are $2. It appears that rental and field fee combined is $20, but it is ambiguous. From reviews, BYOP has a $5 fee (if it's still allowed), Field Paint is $20 for 500 balls and is apparently low quality. Many of the reviews are not that favorable. The indoor course is reported to usually be very slippery due to paint on the floor and poorly lit. Most reviewers recomment Gun Lake or TC in Grand Rapids.
Projected cost: Unknown.

TC Paintball in Traverse City and Grand Rapids:
Apparently the Grand Rapids field is somewhat new. Not much in the way of info. $10 field fee, includes air. $10 rentals. Field/store paint only, $50 per case.
Projected cost: $45 renters, $35 non-renters (assuming splitting cases between pairs)

Excalibur Paintball in Battle Creek:
A bit further away, it's also a bit more expensive... And highly reviewed. The fields look amazing. Castle Fortress, Battle Field, Asian Villiage and Bunker Hill all look like amazing fun. Private game hours are available Saturday and Sunday from 9-1 or 2-6, require a minimum of 15 players and a $5 per player deposit. Costs: $10 Field fees (air not included, air price not given), rental $20 including field fees, air, 100 rounds of paint. Field paint only, $60 per case (Diablo Premium - about a $5-$15 markup over retail). Cannot find the cost of air for people with their own equipment.
Projected cost: $50 renters, $40 non-renters (assuming splitting cases between pairs, plus whatever they charge the non-renters for air)

And all projected costs are figured on the idea of each player using a half-case of paint. (1000 paintballs, not bad for a day of play.)

In my opinion, based on those 5 fields and a couple of the other semi-local fields I looked at, I'd vote for Woodland Paintball first (lowest cost and decent fields), followed by Excalibur Paintball (beautiful fields, looks like it could easily be the most fun, and the costs are fairly standard, just don't like $50 low-quality field paint and prefer BYOP) and Gun Lake (I like the Woodball field, and the prices aren't too bad, but I hate the $10 BYOP fee; makes BYOP not worth it, especially for people splitting cases). And TC Paintball in Grand Rapids could easily beat out Gun Lake, depending on what information can be gathered and what the fields may be like. Anyone in MI feel up to checking that oune out?

Also, I'm still not certain of what other fields from Option 2 would be within a decent radius, so other good fields could yet be found.
_There are some who say that Time is itself a hammer: that each slow second marks another tap that makes big rocks into little rocks, waterfalls into canyons, cliffs into beaches.
There are some who say that Time is instead a blade. They see the dance of its razored tip, poised like a venomous snake, forever ready to slay faster than the eye can see.
And there are some who say that Time is both hammer and blade.
They say the hammer is a sculptor's mallet, and the blade is a sculptor's chisel: that each stroke is a refinement, a perfecting, a discovery of truth and beauty within what would otherwise be blank and lifeless stone.
And I name this saying wisdom.
Instant Cash

Post by Instant Cash »

I tend to not enjoy indoor fields for the very reason the other people said. The fields are way slippery. Also you do not get much variety in play. It is either one or two speedball fields which are only fun once in awhile.

And I know I go through at least a case in a full day. the only times I went through less was when it was half a day.
-Big Jim
Bishop
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Bishop »

I played at Woodland in Belding couple years ago, on the outdoor course. Using the big cable wire spools and big 50 gallon drums for bunkers on the (I think) speedball course. Then the ones with the forts and such. They were both pretty neat, and fun fields to play on.
Pax Romana, Motherfucker.
Breaker of unbreakable things.
Toon
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Toon »

Instant Cash wrote:Here is another List of MI fields in case that other site missed a few.
From what I'm seeing, additional fields in the general area include:

Fantasy Paintball in Rockford (just outside GR, no operational website)

Colors Paintball in Fremont (NW of GR, pitiful info on their page)

68 Caliber in Kalamazoo (about an hour SE of GR, page is down, one airball field and one urban combat field.)

R&S Paintball in Kalamazoo (2 speedball, 2 woods fields, one attack/defend field, website down)
_There are some who say that Time is itself a hammer: that each slow second marks another tap that makes big rocks into little rocks, waterfalls into canyons, cliffs into beaches.
There are some who say that Time is instead a blade. They see the dance of its razored tip, poised like a venomous snake, forever ready to slay faster than the eye can see.
They say the hammer is a sculptor's mallet, and the blade is a sculptor's chisel: that each stroke is a refinement, a perfecting, a discovery of truth and beauty within what would otherwise be blank and lifeless stone.
sinsual

Post by sinsual »

BLAT
www.evieshope.com
No infant should have Eye Cancer...
Gunny
SMITE!™ Grand Master

Post by Gunny »

You tell 'em, sin!
<center><b><font size=1><font color="#FF9900">"Invaders blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubber pants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!" -Zim</font></font></b></center>
Toon
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Toon »

*looks at the paint on his monitor*

*wipes the paint off the screen*

Okay, that wasn't too bad of a shot... for a rental marker.
sinsual

Post by sinsual »

BLAT BLAT BLAT
www.evieshope.com
No infant should have Eye Cancer...
Toon
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by Toon »

I am definately itching to shoot more Bulldrekkers, err, I mean to play again.

Anyone have any more ideas on this? Location, date, etc.?