Update: Gathering Rules

This forum is for the discussion of various gatherings, get-togethers and other social aspects held or undertaken by members of this community, including Gathering 2002. Please tag all threads with the location and month of the event, as shown here.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Just like last year, the purpose of the Gathering is getting together as a community, meeting, talking and hanging out. It is a great way to build friendships and get to know people who otherwise would just be a name on the screen. Last year was an amazing success and we all had a stupid amount of fun, ask anyone who was there. That’s why we’re doing it again this year. Between last year’s Gathering and the 2k2 event, there is one big difference:

Gathering 2002 will be held in a semi-public place, not owned by a member of the community, so we could theoretically get kicked out, fined by the owner, or even arrested in some cases.

Seeing as how we don’t want this to happen to anyone attending, we’ve laid down some very basic, very common sense rules.

Rules
  • No firearms.
  • The legal drinking age is 21.
  • There is a strict "no drugs" policy in regards to Mr. Hayes' resort and its property. While we cannot guarantee that /no one/ will use drugs, we do not endorse such behavior, and will not allow it on Hayes' property.
  • Don’t fight. You’re not there to be Joe Testosterone. Need to fight anyways? Leave the cabin site and come back to show us the bruises.
  • Pocket knives are fine, legal size is the width of your palm. Be sensible. A machete is not a pocket knife.
  • Paintball guns stay locked in your trunk until you are on the playing field. Paint and tanks can be kept in the cabin to keep from melting/exploding.
  • Swords, axes, bows, etc., stay locked in your trunk until you need them for your RenFaire costume or something comparable.
  • No fireworks allowed. It breaks down like this: it's legal to buy it, it's legal to own it and if you're the proprietor of a fireworks bar, it's legal to sell it. It's legal to carry it, which doesn't really matter 'cause - get a load of this - if the Caz stops you, it's legal for him to stick you in a box and FedEx you home.
  • There is a "You break it, you buy it" policy regarding all Hayes property.
  • Long-distance phone calls are made from a pay phone, not from the cabin. You want to do the accounting afterwards?
All rules posted above will be enforced. Failure to comply will result in you being asked to leave.

These are the rules. Thanks for helping us make the Gathering run smoothly.
Last edited by 3278 on Thu May 16, 2002 11:20 am, edited 4 times in total.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Kick ass, 32!
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

Extremely fair rules, 32. But only problem is drinking age :D You see..>I'm 6 months before I can drink by then. The curse of being 20 years old :)
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
Instant Cash
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Instant Cash »

Flame:: Trust us, we hate the rules also. however since it isnt our house we are playing at, we have to abid by the house rules.

WE dont like it, but there isnt much we can do next to overthrowing the governement.
I want to shoot one of these Church kids and ask them "Where is your god now!"
-Big Jim
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

...which we looked into.
Van Der Litreb
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Van Der Litreb »

...and it turns out they're doing a fine job, themselves.
EvanMoore
Wuffle Trainer

Post by EvanMoore »

...yes, but who would take it back when we were finished with it?

Evan
---------------------------------------------------------------------
[blur]It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. --Andre Gide[/blur]
Instant Cash

Post by Instant Cash »

That and I dont think even WI has enough cheese to support us all.
-Big Jim
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

ICE: you misunderstand. I don't hate the rule. We need it, because getting in trouble on the first day is the last thing that I want to happen to us. Also, I understand the laws, and I don't intend to drink at all...because I want to win at those board games because most of others would be too drunk to see what is hell is going on and why I'm so good with cards :)

And hey, why don't we overtake Dutch government? I mean, there's so many vacant seats? I mean, we can rename Netherlands "Bulldrekia"
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

I'm down. I want to be Minister of Oppression, though
Instant Cash

Post by Instant Cash »

FlameBlade wrote: ICE: you misunderstand. I don't hate the rule. We need it, because getting in trouble on the first day is the last thing that I want to happen to us. Also, I understand the laws, and I don't intend to drink at all...because I want to win at those board games because most of others would be too drunk to see what is hell is going on and why I'm so good with cards :)
Actually Flame I wasn't commin down on you. I was just telling everyone the reasoning we had behind that statement. Don't worry, I remember you being very responsible at the last gathering and I am sure it will happen again. :)

Just answering questions as they come up is all, no worries :cool
-Big Jim
JohnnyRico
Wuffle Student

Post by JohnnyRico »

3278 wrote: Rules
  • No firearms.
  • The legal drinking age is 21.
  • There is a strict "no drugs" policy in regards to Mr. Hayes' resort and its property. While we cannot guarantee that /no one/ will use drugs, we do not endorse such behavior, and will not allow it on Hayes' property.
  • Don’t fight. You’re not there to be Joe Testosterone. Need to fight anyways? Leave the cabin site and come back to show us the bruises.
  • Pocket knives are fine, legal size is the width of your palm. Be sensible. A machete is not a pocket knife.
  • Paintball guns stay locked in your trunk until you are on the playing field. Paint and tanks can be kept in the cabin to keep from melting/exploding.
  • Swords, axes, bows, etc., stay locked in your trunk until you need them for your RenFaire costume or something comparable.
  • There is a "You break it, you buy it" policy regarding all Hayes property.
  • Long-distance phone calls are made from a pay phone, not from the cabin. You want to do the accounting afterwards?
All rules posted above will be enforced. Failure to comply will result in you being asked to leave.

These are the rules. Thanks for helping us make the Gathering run smoothly.
Ok, question on the Paintball gun rule. Can one concievably swap the placement of the tank & paint with the marker in the trunk for the purposes of showing off said marker to other paintball enthusiasts?
"I have a conundrum for you. A riddle if you will. What's the difference between you, and malard with a cold? I don't remember how it ends, but your mothers a whore." -"Sean Connery" Celebrity Jeopardy- SNL
Instant Cash

Post by Instant Cash »

Show it at the trunk

We are just trying to keep the minimum amount of projectial devices away from people and prying eyes.

Hell, I will probably even check it out, but it will only be breifly. Been awhile since I checked out a tippman, I have been after an autococker for way to long.
-Big Jim
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

Question: What about dishes/clean up duties? Will it be on rotating basis? We gotta clean up after ourselves. They would be more inclined to accept us again if we keep the place cleaner before when we got in...at least, that's what I hear.
EvanMoore
Wuffle Trainer

Post by EvanMoore »

I'll check with my wife, but I might pimp her cleaning skills out... <chuckles>

Not *mine* of course, because I don't *have* any....

Evan
[blur]It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. --Andre Gide[/blur]
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Cleaning Duties

Post by Cazmonster »

This was an ugly topic previously. How about we table this discussion until a later date?

Cazmonster moves to table the current topic.
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

Seconded.
EvanMoore
Wuffle Trainer

Post by EvanMoore »

My wife said that when we show up, she'd be happy to help clean up any existing messes. Our girls are really good at that, too.

That can be part of our contribution.

Evan
Thorn
Wuffle Student

Post by Thorn »

Evan, while that's a seriously lovely offer from your wife (does she actually /know/ what she's offering even?!), I personally will have an aneurysm if I see her cleaning up after a bunch of people perfectly capable of cleaning up after themselves. It's a weird peeve of mine, I admit, but... I just can't stomach the idea of her coming all that way just to scrub our scummy dishes.
_<font color=red size=2>Just wait until I finish knitting this row.</font>
EvanMoore
Wuffle Trainer

Post by EvanMoore »

Thorn,
My wife, when I asked said to me, "Of course I would! I can't believe you actually asked me! I do that everywhere I go!"

If there's a mess, she'll tackle it--or help whoever is tackling it. She's just that way.

Evan
Thorn
Wuffle Student

Post by Thorn »

I'll be sure to locate an emergency provider that's covered by my insurance ahead of time then....
Kwyndig
Grand Marshall of the Imperium
Location: The Orbiting Volcano Lair, high above the surface of Bulldrek

Post by Kwyndig »

That's funny, my mom sometimes does my dishes when she comes out to visit Image
kwyndig@yahoo.com This sig for rent, reasonable rates
Thorn
Wuffle Student

Post by Thorn »

Most people's mom's do that. And that's cool.

But Evan's wife isn't mom to any of us. She shouldn't have to clean up after us. We're all ostensibly grown-ups, or close enough to it to make arguments about "age being an arbitrary measure, and people really should make judgments about other people based on how /mature/ they are", so picking up our own shit shouldn't be beyond our abilities.

If Evan and family pay a visit to the Gather-ers, they should be able to just hang out. Sure, if we're making dinner and Evan's wife wants to pitch in, that's dandy. But if Evan's wife is in some cabin doing dishes while everyone else is outside goofing off... Why look! There's the Angry Button!

If we want someone to come clean up after us, everyone chip in $5 and put in a call to Merry Maids or something.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

I think that everyone is sensible enough to pitch in where needed. If you don't, you'll become a social pariah and we'll hate you forever. There, settled.
EvanMoore
Wuffle Trainer

Post by EvanMoore »

Ooo! Then others can be a social pariah just like me!!

<grin>

Evan
Eva
Baron of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eva »

DV8 wrote: I think that everyone is sensible enough to pitch in where needed. If you don't, you'll become a social pariah and we'll hate you forever. There, settled.
Every now and then I get reminded of why I love you madly. Thank you.
One time I built a matter transporter, but things got screwed up (long story, lol) and I ended up turning into a kind of half-human, half-housefly monstrosity.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Thorn:: Nice to see that the '50's are alive and kicking, eh? :)
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

Like I said on the cleaning subject before, I'll keep the bathroom clean for as long as I'm there (until wednesday). I'll even take care of all three bathrooms. I know that's not a fun job for most people, and while I wouldn't say I enjoy it, it bothers me none. I spent 3 seasons cleaning public restrooms at an amusment park. While I realize that you all are an exceptionally creative bunch, I'm pretty sure there won't be any mess I haven't tackled before.

MooCow
The cleaning cow
Eva

Post by Eva »

Evan: how old are your girls?
One time I built a matter transporter, but things got screwed up (long story, lol) and I ended up turning into a kind of half-human, half-housefly monstrosity.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

DV8 wrote:I think that everyone is sensible enough to pitch in where needed. If you don't, you'll become a social pariah and we'll hate you forever. There, settled.
Oh, good. Dennis found a way to say this tactfully. What /I/ was going to say was, "We'll handle it this way: Don't be a fucking asshole."

It's dishes and cleaning, people. Seriously. Don't be a fucking asshole.
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

I play too much in the SCA. If I leave site and it isn't cleaner than when I got there, something is definiety wrong.

I'm good with the sweeping thing (which for some odd reason, no one ever wants to do, I think its fun), and dishes are cool, too...not good with taking out trash much, but am good with clutter cleanup...

Here's a question, do the cabins have things like garbage bags, brooms, dish drying racks and towels, or should be arrange to bring some?
Thorn
Wuffle Student

Post by Thorn »

AFAIK, all cabins have dishwashing machines. All linens, also afaik, need to be brought. Of course, when I had a big wad of dish towels that could have gotten thrown away, I shoved them aside, for exactly this. ;)
EvanMoore
Wuffle Trainer

Post by EvanMoore »

Eva wrote: Evan: how old are your girls?
Victoria is 6 going on 24. She reads at a 5th grade level. She's Bex's "righ hand girl". Aside from being young and immature in general she conducts herself quite well. Many times I expect more out of her than I should because she's capable of so much. Victoria has a brilliance and an elegance that must come from her mother. Her greatest desire is to be a princess or a queen. Please do not mention if you know a country lacking one of these, she will pester me to move there. Victoria is polite and talks to just about anyone--but aloof even with close friends (even her father, sometimes!).

Rene'e is 4 going on ... well ... 4. She wishes she was a little baby, still. Middle child syndrome? <shrug> I don't know. She chose not to speak till she was nearly 3 1/2. She is the only child we have who sucks her thumb--and she still does it. She can be utterly delightful one moment and the next jam her feet so firmly into the soil that she becomes the proverbial "immoveable object". It will take Rene'e a little time to warm up to anyone--but once she does, you will be a friend for life.

Naomi will be 2 by the time you meet her--July 26th is her birthday. She is much like Victoria in her achievements. She decided to potty train herself at 19 months. She's not perfect with it, but she's actually better than Rene'e about not wetting the bed. She is one smart cookie. She also despises the word "no" and will pout--jutting out her lower lip and everything--when she hears it. Naomi picks whom she likes very quickly and that person will be her buddy. Others may be accepted later, but she will have her buddy(s) chosen within minutes.

We usually get compliments on how well behaved the girls are--and we also keep our eyes on them very closely. However, if you see them doing something you do not approve of, you do not need to ask my permission to be the adult in the situation. We have chosen to "house proof" our children--however, in a new situation, they will need to know the boundaries.

Bex is a food nazi with the girls (and herself), so be aware that giving candy, chips, soda, hot-dogs, marshmallows, etc. to the girls will annoy her (you would never know if it I didn't tell you). I, on the other hand (as you shall see when you meet me), am not a food nazi.

What was this thread about again? <scratching head>

Evan

P.S. Wife: Bex. Daughters: Victoria, Rene'e, Naomi.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Thorn wrote:AFAIK, all cabins have dishwashing machines. All linens, also afaik, need to be brought. Of course, when I had a big wad of dish towels that could have gotten thrown away, I shoved them aside, for exactly this. ;)
Thank you for reminding me: I'll have some more information on what the cabins do and do not include soon. Well, I have the information, but I have to do some typing. :)
Kwyndig
Location: The Orbiting Volcano Lair, high above the surface of Bulldrek

Post by Kwyndig »

*Cracks a whip over 3278's head.*

Oh, erm, sorry.
kwyndig@yahoo.com This sig for rent, reasonable rates
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

You're so cool Thorn. You think of everything....

Okay, I'll wait until we get a list of what the cabins do and don't have and then see if we need to bring/buy anything, like oh, say dishwashing detergent if there are in fact diswashers :)
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

Does it have bathroom? :D
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

[grandpa]Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to use the outhouse.[/grandpa] *leaves*

[marge]But we don't have an outhouse...[/marge]

[homer]My toolshed!!![/homer]
</font>
Eva

Post by Eva »

3278 wrote: Thank you for reminding me: I'll have some more information on what the cabins do and do not include soon. Well, I have the information, but I have to do some typing. :)
That post will likely include some info on what Planning is providing and a To Bring list for attendees. More later!
Szechuan
No-Life Loser

Post by Szechuan »

About the paintball guns:
Me and Rag should be able to rent/borrow some from the field, right?
Because quite frankly there is no fucking way I'm going to try and get a paintball gun across the border. :|
Eva

Post by Eva »

Clever monkey. :o)
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Prophecy rip-off...but a cool one. :)
Instant Cash

Post by Instant Cash »

Alll paintbal fields I have been to you can rent guns. I mean if your an owner of a field, and you can make even more money renting guns, wouldn't you?
-Big Jim
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

That is correct. Depending on the field and the package bought, you'll either get pumps *shudder* or semi-autos, most likely Tippmans
</font>
Eva

Post by Eva »

DV8 wrote: Prophecy rip-off...but a cool one. :)
For the longest time I had no idea what you meant by this, but now I do. Actually, it's an Elf thing, but for now, Christopher Walken will do. Or Viggo Mortensen, I'm egal really. ;o)
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

One of my alltime favorite scenes in a movie...

Christopher Walken as Gabriel, preventing a human from dying. Her waking up and him looking down at her with a big smile, "Hi!"

And re: paintball, all courses (except a few pro ones) have guns for rent. It's where they make most of their profits.
Bishop

Post by Bishop »

As far as cleaning goes, I do anything but bathrooms. I clean a commercial kitchen 5-6 nights a week....cleaning up after Bullldrekkers should be much the same. And as far as the rules go.......Does that mean, 32, no Katana? ;)
Pax Romana, Motherfucker.
Breaker of unbreakable things.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Bishop wrote:And as far as the rules go.......Does that mean, 32, no Katana? ;)
For everyone else: yes, but it stays in the trunk. For you: NO! :D