Barbeque Essentials, or the what to bring guide...

This forum is for the discussion of various gatherings, get-togethers and other social aspects held or undertaken by members of this community, including Gathering 2002. Please tag all threads with the location and month of the event, as shown here.
Serious Paul
Devil

Barbeque Essentials, or the what to bring guide...

Post by Serious Paul »

Okay a lot of people have asked should they bring something. In my attempts to keep this cheap, and cost efficient I haven't said much, but then I decided maybe with some input from me aand our other attendees we could save even more money.

Meri and I will be buying some hotdogs and Hamburger, based on what we get for final numbers during this week. I will likely buy some potatoe chips as well.

Now Bishop mentioned bringing some steaks, but I haven't tlaked to him for a while.

So what you should bring if you feel the need, and by no means feel obligated, this is meant to be a cheap fun gathering of friends. I don't want you people to break yourselves getting here. Or while trying to have fun. So here are some ideas:

Dishs to pass-anything we can fit in the fridge or scoop out of a can-always an easy fix, and just as tasty.

Cheese, fruit or veggies. Hey you can dip 'em, spread 'em on crackers and perform strange sex acts with 'em. What more do we need?

Beyond that what do you think? If you are bringing something feel free to post it here so others can figure out what they want, but again, I say don't sweat it too much. besides we should all be real drunk, and who eats when they are trashed right??? :D
Instant Cash
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Instant Cash »

I will bring some booze

um

Maybe some cheese

I will see what I can dig up at Sams club
I want to shoot one of these Church kids and ask them "Where is your god now!"
-Big Jim
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

If I'm able to make it - should be knowing for certain by this Friday evening - I should be passing through duty-free territory on the trip. That coupled with a pretty good exchange rate equals booze. Which reminds me, how much of the stuff can you bring in before taxation? And do they enforce it that much - I mean are they real nazi's or is it a case of as long as you don't clink when walking too loudly they don't mind?
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
Instant Cash

Post by Instant Cash »

FlakJacket wrote:If I'm able to make it - should be knowing for certain by this Friday evening - I should be passing through duty-free territory on the trip. That coupled with a pretty good exchange rate equals booze. Which reminds me, how much of the stuff can you bring in before taxation? And do they enforce it that much - I mean are they real nazi's or is it a case of as long as you don't clink when walking too loudly they don't mind?
Usually they state how much of it you can buy. I know they do on cigarettes. Maximum of two cartons.
-Big Jim
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

I mentioned this before, but if people will reimburse me I'll pick up meat, chips, etc at Sam's Club. It's cheaper then normal if people want to save money. You can PM me if you want in on that.
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

I'm supplying the hotdog and hamburger buns and probably other stuff. Might cook some goodies. We'll see.
To the entire world, you may be one single person, but to one person, you may be the entire world.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

MooCow wrote:I mentioned this before, but if people will reimburse me I'll pick up meat, chips, etc at Sam's Club. It's cheaper then normal if people want to save money. You can PM me if you want in on that.
You're just asking for trouble with this one. How are you going to keep track of the food that you and those who've gone in on this with you have purchased, versus what other people have? I'm just remembering Reika at the last Gathering, and how much trouble she had getting money from people. It's simpler to just have everyone bring a little bit of stuff, and not worry about reimbursement. Anyhow, it's up to you; this is just my cautionary input.
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

You're just asking for trouble with this one. How are you going to keep track of the food that you and those who've gone in on this with you have purchased, versus what other people have?
How is this any different then keeping track of food I brought versus food other people brought? Under these circumstances, I assume all food brought is up for public grabs.
I'm just remembering Reika at the last Gathering, and how much trouble she had getting money from people.
I don't know how she handled it. My plan is to buy food for people that they ask me too. IE, Someone says they'll chip in for 2 packs of hot dogs and buns. I'll buy that for them, and they'll pay me back.

I'm not planning to just go buy a bunch of stuff and expect people to pay me X% of the cost. That never works, I agree.

I just have access to cheap food, and I'm offering to make use of that access for peoples benefit.
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

MooCow wrote:How is this any different then keeping track of food I brought versus food other people brought? Under these circumstances, I assume all food brought is up for public grabs.
O-kay. Now I get it. That doesn't seem like a problem at all; my misunderstanding.
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

I just thought of something else, which I can supply. Most people don't think about stuff like this beforehand, however - large amounts of toilet paper, paper plates, plastic silverware, etc. might come in handy.

I will go ahead and get some flatware, plates, toilet paper, buns and anything else I can think of. Woot. This is gonna be such a good time. :D
To the entire world, you may be one single person, but to one person, you may be the entire world.
Adam
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Adam »

Hell, the pre-gathering shopping trip that Eva, Earl, Thorn, Caz, and I went on was good fun in itself as we tried to get the most amount of stuff for the least amount of cash. ;-)
Bishop
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Bishop »

Teja, let's spread it out a bit. I'll grab the paper shit....flatware, paper plates, T.P. and paper towel. If you don't mind. No reason you should but it all. And as far as steaks, Paul, I /might/ be able to do it, bit it'd be iffy. AS far as burgers go, however, I can get those rather cheaply, and they're good burgers, too. Just tell me how many you think we're gonna need, and I'll have my K.M. order some extra that week for me. We get 24 in a case, and they're only like $20 a case. Preformed and everything.
Pax Romana, Motherfucker.
Breaker of unbreakable things.
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

Dude Bish. You just took, like, my entire shopping list. I'm going to get buns, but I'll take back the paper towels and toilet paper. You can still get the eating stuff (paper plates, cutlery, napkins, etc.). Thanks for suggesting it, but I wouldn't have offered if I couldn't contribute it all. I am able to help in that arena, so I'd like to. :)
Bishop
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Bishop »

You mean people actually use napkins? ;) Ok, sounds good to me.
Pax Romana, Motherfucker.
Breaker of unbreakable things.
Lilith
Bulldrekker

Post by Lilith »

I'd like to bring something too, but we're coming from Cincinnati, and I don't want to risk anything perishable... Suggestions? We can do pop or juice if someone wants non-alcoholic drinking items... Or more wood or something...
_
Pretty Hate Machine
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

I don't think you could go wrong with a bunch of 2 liters. Of Mountain Dew. Nothing else. Just Mountain Dew. That'll be fine. Or you could get a variety. But it'd be better if you just brought Mountain Dew. For me.
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

But just the regular kind. None of that flavoured crap. Muchos annoying to be nicking Earl's drink and finding out it tastes like crap.
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
Lilith
Bulldrekker

Post by Lilith »

Okay, how's a couple of cases of Mt. Dew, a case or two of Code Red, and a couple of twelve packs of Livewire grab everyone?
_
Pretty Hate Machine
sinsual

Post by sinsual »

Adam wrote:Hell, the pre-gathering shopping trip that Eva, Earl, Thorn, Caz, and I went on was good fun in itself as we tried to get the most amount of stuff for the least amount of cash. ;-)
You can't get much for a Cash now adays can you. It must be that short stature and well used look of his.
www.evieshope.com
No infant should have Eye Cancer...
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Lilith wrote:Okay, how's a couple of cases of Mt. Dew, a case or two of Code Red, and a couple of twelve packs of Livewire grab everyone?
You might want to consider - my joking aside - bringing some non-Dew pop, particularly the non-caffeine variety for those so inclined. Paul's preferential to root beer, for whatever that's worth. And everyone likes Hawaiian Punch. [Sadly, I had to check my own {charitably donated by someone kind} bottle to get the spelling of "Hawaiian" right.]
Lilith
Bulldrekker

Post by Lilith »

*nod* I'll see what I can do. Working at a grocery store has its benefits.
_
Pretty Hate Machine
sinsual

Post by sinsual »

I am preferential to classic coke myself. I will however be bringing atleast 2 12 packs with me :D
www.evieshope.com
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Okay I have the burger cover Josh-its cheaper here, plus the meat we buy is ground right there in front of us. We won't turn your burger down, but keep in mind its cheaper here. :D Plus seasoning is easier with raw burger versus preformed.

Keep in mind we have stores, if we need stuff that badly we can get it. No rush to crowd your car, plus I bet Meijers will be having a sale on pop for halloween.

Most of all just have fun.
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

Okay, like I said in the other thread. I got paper towels, toilet paper, and some random snacks (even smores). I am making brownies, too. I forgot the buns. I still plan on getting some but if anyone wants to grab those, its cool.
Thorn
Wuffle Student

Post by Thorn »

Oh good, I'm not the only one to put her shopping list in the wrong thread. ;)

We'll bring cheese (and crackers, thinking about it - only fair) and maybe some summer sausage too, we'll see what we can find. And if we can think of anything else very cool, we'll bring that as well.
_<font color=red size=2>Just wait until I finish knitting this row.</font>
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Instant Cash wrote:I will bring some booze
1800!
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

Meri, Thorn, Lil, Jaded: I just thought of something and wanted to run it past you guys. I've been doing some spring cleaning - even though it isn't spring :p - and decided to bombard my closet. I'm a semi-pack-rat when it comes to clothing and ever so often I have to raid the stash and filter out what I haven't been wearing. Anyways - this time I have gotten rather fed up with my need for mass amounts of clothing and have set aside MANY articles to get rid of.

So - usually I just take them down to Goodwill, but I wanted to pose this - if any of you are interested in rummaging through the boxes, let me know and I'll stick them in the back of the truck and bring them to the BBQ. I'm not trying to insinuate anyone as a charity case or anything - I've just got a ton of clothes, most in great or very good condition, quite a few name brand, quite a range in sizes, etc., and if any of you are interested, drop me a PM or post or something. If I don't hear anything in the next day or so, I'll just take and donate em. Okie dokie. :)
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

Meri, Thorn, Lil, Jaded:
Hey! What about the rest of us?!?! :p
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

Well, if I forgot any of the ladies, I apologize. I guess I just didn't include you men, assuming that you wouldn't want to stock up on female clothing. LOL But if you want to be included, be my guest. Heck, for that matter Moo - you could take some to give a change of clothes to the girls you lock in your basement so they don't start to stink. LOL :D
sinsual

Post by sinsual »

DV8 wrote:
1800!
Covered...Got Lime?
www.evieshope.com
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

I picked up a number of packages of hamburger buns today, and the rest of the stuff is already out to Paul & Meri's, but I think I've tapped out my resources. If we're grilling hot dogs at all, I'm gonna have to ask if anyone else can please pick those up. Thanks.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

sinsual wrote:
DV8 wrote:
1800!
Covered...Got Lime?
Lime is for pussies. Ice knows how to drink 1800 properly. :)
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Okay, so if I'm passing through duty-free land I might be able to pick some half-decent booze up. Anyone care to suggest some choices, either generic e.g. tequila, or specific stuff? :roll
The 86 Rules of Boozing

Thorn
Wuffle Student

Post by Thorn »

Would anyone be interested in real Wis-Con-Sin bratwurst? We can grab some before we head out if you like (and they'd fill those hot dog buns fairly well, too).

Otherwise, we bought cheese last night so we'll bring that and, well... who knows. If something strikes our fancy, we'll bring it.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Thorn I personally love Brats. So of course I am in favor!

Flak: Bring whatever you shall, for we welcome you with open arms.
Thorn
Wuffle Student

Post by Thorn »

*Thorn scribbles "Brats" on her grocery list.*

Exxxxxxcellent. ;)
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

Dammnit! A BBQ with Brats and cheese from Wisconsin, and I can't make it....AUGGGGGGGGGGH!

ME SMASH!
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

Thorn: I got burger buns, not hotdog buns :(
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Thorn wrote:Otherwise, we bought cheese last night so we'll bring that and, well... who knows. If something strikes our fancy, we'll bring it.
Oh Christ, you're not bringing cheese curds or squeaky cheese are you? I'm fairly sure that it's illegal to take that stuff across state lines. :p
The 86 Rules of Boozing

Thorn
Wuffle Student

Post by Thorn »

Cheese curds, when fresh, /are/ squeaky cheese.

But fear not, we have no opportunity to pick up fresh ones, so we're not going to worry about it. No fetal cheese this time.

Teja: Oh! I just read your post properly now. That's okay, we'll grab buns too then. What the heck. ;)
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

FlakJacket wrote:
Thorn wrote:Otherwise, we bought cheese last night so we'll bring that and, well... who knows. If something strikes our fancy, we'll bring it.
Oh Christ, you're not bringing cheese curds or squeaky cheese are you? I'm fairly sure that it's illegal to take that stuff across state lines. :p
Testify! Cheese curds suck! :)
Instant Cash

Post by Instant Cash »

Thorn wrote:*Thorn scribbles "Brats" on her grocery list.*

Exxxxxxcellent. ;)
w00t

If someone brings an onion, I have mad Brat cooking skills.
-Big Jim
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Cazmonster pounds away furiously on his All Flesh game.

Aww Yeah, the scary, got to bring the scary.
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Meri and I can cover onion and whatever fresh veggies we end up needing to cook with.
Instant Cash

Post by Instant Cash »

Serious Paul wrote:Meri and I can cover onion and whatever fresh veggies we end up needing to cook with.
then mark me down for cookin up the brats
-Big Jim
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Deal. I will have both a gas grill and a charcoal grill. I have a haibachi we could use if needed as well.
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Oh and if it's not too much trouble, could someone bring a rabid warthog as well? Thanks. :roll
The 86 Rules of Boozing

Anguirel
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Anguirel »

FlakJacket wrote:Oh and if it's not too much trouble, could someone bring a rabid warthog as well? Thanks. :roll
Rabid Warthog. Check. I've got one of those out back. If it's not too much trouble, could someone bring me? :cute

Have fun and be sure to take lots of pictures. And someone needs to set MooCow on fire for me. :D
complete. dirty. whore.
_Patience said: Ang, you are truly a font of varied and useful information.
IRC Fun:
<Reika> What a glorious way to die.
<Jackal> What are you, Klingon?
<Reika> Worse, a paladin.
<Jackal> We're all fucked.
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Serious Paul wrote:Okay I have decided I want to play with a Live Journal for a bit. What I don't have is one of those little code thingies. Does any one feel like sharing? I am willing to offer myself up for heinous sex acts in exchange.
Time for Paulie to pay the piper. :)
The 86 Rules of Boozing

sinsual

Post by sinsual »

Thorn wrote:Would anyone be interested in real Wis-Con-Sin bratwurst? We can grab some before we head out if you like
No you can't cook my Bratwurst even though it will fill a hotdog bun nicely but if you want to bring the otherstuff that would be cool ;)
www.evieshope.com