Another Bonfire, this one is for real.

This forum is for the discussion of various gatherings, get-togethers and other social aspects held or undertaken by members of this community, including Gathering 2002. Please tag all threads with the location and month of the event, as shown here.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Four Four Time kicks more ass than should be allowed by law.
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

I don't know, I'm sort of partial to 12/8, myself. Wut?
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

*displays wutchuck*

Trust me.... Four-four time cannot be explained. It can only be demonstrated.
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Big Jim
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Big Jim »

Now we just need to talk Caz and Thorn into making the trip.
And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

By the way, AK, if you don't come to the event, we'll be roasting a doll of you in effigy. Which is my way of saying I really hope you can make it. Are you still lacking for a ride? If so, I can try to help arrange something, and if all else fails, I have no real problem driving over to get you. I've been looking forward to meeting you for some years now.
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

Yeah, same here, 32. I need to put a real name on this restraining order. :D

If no one else raises a hand, I'll check my schedule again (no college, no job interviews? check!) and PM ya.

So basically, a sleeping bag and/or a pup tent, huh? Don't seem too difficult.
"There is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the present moment. A man's whole life is a succession of moment after moment. If one fully understands the present moment, there will be nothing else to do, and nothing left to pursue." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Thorn
Wuffle Student

Post by Thorn »

Big Jim wrote:Now we just need to talk Caz and Thorn into making the trip.
Oh, you dirty, dirty All-American Boy, you.....

I've been reading this and resisting the... never mind. The nothing. Nothing at all to be resisted, as there is nothing resist-worthy... or... um... fuuuuuuuuuuck.

Oooh! I'm saved! I'm saved! Caz is asleep! I can't talk to him about this! Now I can stop contemplating utterly destroying what little sanity I'm trying to build into my life right now. Really. I'll stop contemplating it.... Now! Or.... NOW! Dammit.
_<font color=red size=2>Just wait until I finish knitting this row.</font>
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

You guys should really make the trip. You could leave in the morning, be there afternoon and evening, and leave the next morning. It'd be a day and a half, plus a nice drive through autumnal Michigan, which in my eyes rivals anything New England can produce.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

ak404 wrote:If no one else raises a hand, I'll check my schedule again (no college, no job interviews? check!) and PM ya.
Cool. We'll figure something out, I'm sure.
ak404 wrote:So basically, a sleeping bag and/or a pup tent, huh? Don't seem too difficult.
Now, for those of you who /aren't/ from Michigan, a reality check: the average high for the beginning of November is around 48, with lows around the low 30s. Yes, it's quite possible that it will be snowing. Well, it hasn't done it for several years, but the sun's getting warmer, so we're coming out of that little ice age that caused us to invent chimneys. Anyhow, it's likely to be pretty damned cold outside. I know I've said it before, but it bears repeating for those of you with delicate constitutions.

Next week, I'm going to help Paul clean up the top floor of their house, and lots of people have offered to bring space heaters of various kinds. There'll be the fire outside, so people should be able to curl up around it if they're hardier sorts. So there shouldn't be a shortage of decently comfortable places, but I don't want people thinking they'll get by just fine with a blanket or a sweater; really, a sleeping bag or a nice comforter's going to be a good idea. Unless, of course, it just ends up being gorgeous outside like it is now. You never know in Michigan.
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

3278 wrote:Unless, of course, it just ends up being gorgeous outside like it is now. You never know in Michigan.
Like the day in December two years ago, of which I saved the day's particular page from my old planner. One December Wednesday, it was seventy-two degrees outside. I found it odd, so I wrote it down. The next day, in big red letters, is written "SNOW". That would be Michigan for you. Unpredictable, at best.
To the entire world, you may be one single person, but to one person, you may be the entire world.
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

the average high for the beginning of November is around 48, with lows around the low 30s. Yes, it's quite possible that it will be snowing.
I certainly hope so. There is nothing cooler then waking up in the morning, stepping out of your tent into a snow bank, and freezing your balls off trying to take a piss. Or is it just me that feels that? :D
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

I hate you all for liiving so very far away. Just thought I'd share :)
_
"Are you alright?"
"I'm a little fucked up in general so its hard to tell."
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

YOU hate them all for living so far away? Hah.
__
Jeff Hauze: Wow. I think Jestyr just fucking kicked my ass.
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Ah, sod it. If I can get the tine and flights look half decent, then you'll probably be seeing my ugly mug somewhere along the line. :)
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

:cry

Why can't you all come to Australia for a change?!
__
Thorn
Wuffle Student

Post by Thorn »

Because just flying there and back would eat up most of the vacation time Americans get, honey. Sorry.

If I win the lottery ever, though - Australia's the first place we'll get plane tickets for. Honest. (Well, unless we decide to pop into Italy first, but that'll just be a pit stop on the way to our true destination, really!! ;) )
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

Thorn wrote:Because just flying there and back would eat up most of the vacation time Americans get, honey. Sorry.
Pffft. It's only about fourteen hours, and that's flying via Auckland... :)
__
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Ah but the average American receives 13 days of Vacation. we suck.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Serious Paul wrote:Ah but the average American receives 13 days of Vacation. we suck.
But in return you get the highest Gross National Product per head. So shut it.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Fair enough. besides I took 56 days last year.
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

Though that GNP is an average, Deev, and not a reflection of the reality of that distribution. Anyway, American vacations are to be appreciated, yes.

Oh, and does 32 ever check his PMs?
"There is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the present moment. A man's whole life is a succession of moment after moment. If one fully understands the present moment, there will be nothing else to do, and nothing left to pursue." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Bishop
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Bishop »

He checks. He just never respondes.
Pax Romana, Motherfucker.
Breaker of unbreakable things.
Szechuan
No-Life Loser

Post by Szechuan »

DV8 wrote:
Serious Paul wrote:Ah but the average American receives 13 days of Vacation. we suck.
I thought that was Switzerland or Luxembourg?
Marius
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Marius »

Just for the record, I can't come to your bloody bonfire because of med student stuff. We're done digging in corpses on Halloween, and I've got responsibilities that Saturday that, predictably, involve shepherding folks into deep intoxication.

Have another damn bonfire later.
There is then a need to guard against a temptation to overstate the economic evils of our own age, and to ignore the existence of similar, or worse, evils in earlier ages. Even though some exaggeration may, for the time, stimulate others, as well as ourselves, to a more intense resolve that the present evils should no longer exist, but it is not less wrong and generally it is much more foolish to palter with truth for good than for a selfish cause. The pessimistic descriptions of our own age, combined with the romantic exaggeration of the happiness of past ages must tend to setting aside the methods of progress, the work of which, if slow, is yet solid, and lead to the hasty adoption of others of greater promise, but which resemble the potent medicines of a charlatan, and while quickly effecting a little good sow the seeds of widespread and lasting decay. This impatient insincerity is an evil only less great than the moral torpor which can endure, that we with our modern resources and knowledge should look contentedly at the continued destruction of all that is worth having. There is an evil and an extreme impatience as well as an extreme patience with social ills.
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

Bishop wrote:He checks. He just never respondes.
Ah, crap. Then how am I supposed to know he's got my PMs?
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Szechuan wrote:
DV8 wrote:
.us: $33,900 (1999 est.)
.lu: $34,200 (1999 est.)
.ch: $27,100 (1999 est.)

It seems you were right. It's Luxembourg. You learn something new every day. :)
Big Jim
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Big Jim »

Oh, you dirty, dirty All-American Boy, you.....

I've been reading this and resisting the... never mind. The nothing. Nothing at all to be resisted, as there is nothing resist-worthy... or... um... fuuuuuuuuuuck.

Oooh! I'm saved! I'm saved! Caz is asleep! I can't talk to him about this! Now I can stop contemplating utterly destroying what little sanity I'm trying to build into my life right now. Really. I'll stop contemplating it.... Now! Or.... NOW! Dammit.
Yeah, yeah...so, are you guys coming?
And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

DV8 wrote:
Szechuan wrote:
DV8 wrote:

Wow. I wonder what kind of place Luxembourg is to live, and is it really the smallest country in the world, or is that still the Vatican?
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Alright, last call, everyone! Is there anyone coming from or going through the east side of the state that could pick up AK404 on the way? If not, I'll just swing over and pick him up, but if there's a more efficient way, we'd love to find it.

And I got it, AK; I'm just slow. :)
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

Heheh. Just wanted to verify, 32. Give me an email if nobody else wants a Filipino in the car.

Oh yeah, while yer at it, check the art section. Finally put the pic you requested up.
Toon
Bulldrek Junkie
Location: Stuck to the grate right outside the sewage treatment plant.

Post by Toon »

If I hadn't just pretty much totalled my van earlier this week, I could've volunteered to shove another person in the back on my way through Eastern MI. As it is, it looks like it's going to be Lilith, Sludig, Offie and I all making the ride there from Cincinnati in Sludig's Dodge Neon. Weeeee!
_There are some who say that Time is itself a hammer: that each slow second marks another tap that makes big rocks into little rocks, waterfalls into canyons, cliffs into beaches.
There are some who say that Time is instead a blade. They see the dance of its razored tip, poised like a venomous snake, forever ready to slay faster than the eye can see.
And there are some who say that Time is both hammer and blade.
They say the hammer is a sculptor's mallet, and the blade is a sculptor's chisel: that each stroke is a refinement, a perfecting, a discovery of truth and beauty within what would otherwise be blank and lifeless stone.
And I name this saying wisdom.
NytShade
Tasty Human

Post by NytShade »

Looks like I can make it. My nearest show date is on the 3rd so I should have enough downtime to endulge in some frivelous drinking and social time.
I sell the shadow to support the substance.
sinsual
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by sinsual »

ak404 wrote:Heheh. Just wanted to verify, 32. Give me an email if nobody else wants a Filipino in the car.
Lumpia for bribe?
www.evieshope.com
No infant should have Eye Cancer...
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

Ak, I'd swing down to get ya, but I am currently going to be in Central-Northern MI taking the sis out trick-or-treating prior to heading to Paul and Meri's. If anything changes before then, though, keeping me in Saginaw, I'll let ya know ASAP.
To the entire world, you may be one single person, but to one person, you may be the entire world.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Teja:: Take her with you. :D

Teja's sis:: "Trick or Treat!"
*A bunch of bulldrekkers drop things in the candy bag*
Teja's sis:: "Bottles of beer?!?"
DV8 wrote:
Szechuan wrote:
DV8 wrote:

Dude, you've told me that before. ;)
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

Teja's sis:: "Trick or Treat!"
*A bunch of bulldrekkers drop things in the candy bag*
Teja's sis:: "Bottles of beer?!?"
I've done that, sorta.

At OSU, in the dorms, they used to get inner city kids in and take them through the dorms to trick or treat (why this was a good idea I'll never understand. why can't they just take them to the rich neighborhood?). One year, some friends of mine and I volunteered to help. We got some shot glasses, and traveled around with one group of kids, trick or treating with them. When we knocked on a door, everyone yelled "Trick or Treat".... They held out their bags, and we held out our shot glasses. We got /so/ drunk.

I think it was one of the reasons the Hall Director hated me. That and he was a fucktard.
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
Thorn
Wuffle Student

Post by Thorn »

ak404 wrote:
Bishop wrote:He checks. He just never respondes.
Ah, crap. Then how am I supposed to know he's got my PMs?
If the message is still in your "Outbox" then he hasn't read it yet. If it's in your "Sent Mail" box, then he's read it. Nice and easy. Like hair dye.
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

Sorry, Thorn. The magic of hair dye continues to elude me.
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

Sorry, Thorn. The magic of hair dye continues to elude me.
Well ya know, we could change that at The BBQ......
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

Thorn wrote:If the message is still in your "Outbox" then he hasn't read it yet. If it's in your "Sent Mail" box, then he's read it.
Whoa, neat. I didn't know that.
__
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

ak404 wrote:Wow. I wonder what kind of place Luxembourg is to live, and is it really the smallest country in the world, or is that still the Vatican?
It's one of the few places in the world - and the only place in Europe - that still has anonymous, numbered bank accounts. It's in the middle of the Ardennes, so it's forested, with very few real cities, considering their half a million population, that's not strange. Oh, and there are a lot of pretty rich people in financing there, as you might expect.

And yes, as far as I'm aware, the Vatican is still the smallest, autonomous country in the world.
Cash wrote:Dude, you've told me that before. ;)
It's the Alzheimer's. Sorry. :)
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

*pat*pat* There, there. You're old. :D
</font>
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

DV8 wrote:
ak404 wrote:Wow. I wonder what kind of place Luxembourg is to live, and is it really the smallest country in the world, or is that still the Vatican?
It's one of the few places in the world - and the only place in Europe - that still has anonymous, numbered bank accounts. It's in the middle of the Ardennes, so it's forested, with very few real cities, considering their half a million population, that's not strange. Oh, and there are a lot of pretty rich people in financing there, as you might expect.
Sounds like a fun place to live. What's the cost of living there?
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Okay, just to recheck if I'm able to make it, is there still room in the attic/whatever or is it really just camping out at this stage?
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
Instant Cash
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Instant Cash »

Spend the $35 and get a hotel room :)
I want to shoot one of these Church kids and ask them "Where is your god now!"
-Big Jim
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

Spend the $35 and get a hotel room
Seriously pondering that. How far away is the hotel from Paul's?
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

FlakJacket wrote:Okay, just to recheck if I'm able to make it, is there still room in the attic/whatever or is it really just camping out at this stage?
It looks like there should be plenty of room, unless we have more than, say, 20 people sleeping over, which I don't think we will. Instead of opening up the upstairs, we're opening up the porch area, which is large and pretty comfortable. Additionally, the upstairs is spacious and can sleep a /ton/ of people; it's just a little messy. It doesn't bother /me,/ but, you know. Anyhow, there should be more than enough room for everyone.

The hotel, Moo, is 5 miles away, if that.
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

I still hate you all.
__
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

FlakJacket wrote:Okay, just to recheck if I'm able to make it, is there still room in the attic/whatever or is it really just camping out at this stage?
And I didn't want to say anything because I don't want to pressure you into coming if it's impractical - you really shouldn't - but it's unimaginable how cool it would be if you could make it, Simon.