Making Me Feel Wanted [25-07-2003 03:44:29]

This forum is for the discussion of various gatherings, get-togethers and other social aspects held or undertaken by members of this community, including Gathering 2002. Please tag all threads with the location and month of the event, as shown here.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Making Me Feel Wanted [25-07-2003 03:44:29]

Post by DV8 »

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I'm a pretty lady! I'm a pretty lady!
Thanks for calling, guys. Thanks for the voicemail, Moo. It was just like being there for a moment. :)
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

No, though they did wake me up in the middle of the night. :)
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Warhoo!

We did miss you Deev - thus the screaming and the mooing and such. MooCow was near-death the next day.
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
Van Der Litreb
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Van Der Litreb »

It was great to hear from you guys, even if it was ass in the morning and I was hung over. :)
\m/
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Cazmonster wrote:We did miss you Deev - thus the screaming and the mooing and such. MooCow was near-death the next day.
Green with envy, Caz. Honestly, I wish I could've been there.
Van Der Litreb wrote:It was great to hear from you guys, even if it was ass in the morning and I was hung over. :)
Dude, it's very hard to find a time to call you when you're not hung over. Even your best friends would find it a daunting tast. Your family would be hard pressed. Your gir*...well, you know what I mean. :)
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

That was excellent - Veed's precise English combined with his feeling of 'what did I do to my liver tonight' was great.
Bishop
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Bishop »

No, it was probably trying to slink away, begging and crying for mercy.
Pax Romana, Motherfucker.
Breaker of unbreakable things.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Deev - there is always next year. And if I keep my shit straight, I'll be running games while I'm there.

Hell, Obsidian is freakin' cool. Maybe I can put an adventure in the Zone together.
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

Very, very cool.

Veed, that night we called you? I don't know if Megan told you when we all called, but we'd not only collected a waitress, in Deev's finest tradition... we'd collected the boss. (Who was called Chip. I didn't realize people were actually called Chip. But he's a gamer geek, so that's okay. :))

We have photos of the waitress with us, the manager, the bar tab - well, the actual rounds; all the shots were bought seperately - and of the random sleeping guy who didn't wake up despite having fifteen noisy drekkers clustered around him.
__
Jeff Hauze: Wow. I think Jestyr just fucking kicked my ass.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

* DV8 beats himself over the head with a stun-baton

I should've been there. I should've been there. I should've fucking been there.
Thorn
Wuffle Student

Post by Thorn »

Well yes, because then we could have pictures of you pretending to hump Random Sleeping Guy's head. And that would've been hilarious.

Of course, the state I was in that night? EVERYTHING was hilarious.
_<font color=red size=2>Just wait until I finish knitting this row.</font>
Liniah
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Liniah »

We collected people that night? Did I miss that? Oh, and we tried to call you again that evening too, Dennis. You're phone was all fuckey-fuckey.

At any rate, I had a /fabulous/ time that evening. Thanks to all that were there. You fucking rock. :rolling
<center><font face="monospace" color=#0099FF font size="-1">one more blue sunny day</font></center>
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

Amen. That was a fun, fun night. :)
__
Marius
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Marius »

Well yes, because then we could have pictures of you pretending to hump Random Sleeping Guy's head. And that would've been hilarious.
There's nothing hilarious about sexual assault.
There is then a need to guard against a temptation to overstate the economic evils of our own age, and to ignore the existence of similar, or worse, evils in earlier ages. Even though some exaggeration may, for the time, stimulate others, as well as ourselves, to a more intense resolve that the present evils should no longer exist, but it is not less wrong and generally it is much more foolish to palter with truth for good than for a selfish cause. The pessimistic descriptions of our own age, combined with the romantic exaggeration of the happiness of past ages must tend to setting aside the methods of progress, the work of which, if slow, is yet solid, and lead to the hasty adoption of others of greater promise, but which resemble the potent medicines of a charlatan, and while quickly effecting a little good sow the seeds of widespread and lasting decay. This impatient insincerity is an evil only less great than the moral torpor which can endure, that we with our modern resources and knowledge should look contentedly at the continued destruction of all that is worth having. There is an evil and an extreme impatience as well as an extreme patience with social ills.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Obviously, you weren't there. Sexual assault can be a riot, especially when it happens to Cash.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

...or in this case; Marius! :D
Bull
Tasty Human

Post by Bull »

Deev, Veed, Daki.. All you guys were missed. Next year, you ALL have to go!

Myself, I didn;t get to go out drinking with the drekkers. Mostly cause I went out drinking with the DUmpshock crew, for the most part, and got myself totally sloshed. :]

Was much teh fun, but being the mostly non-drinker I am, and knowing how much it takes to get me drunk, I'm giving myself a rest until next year, when we do it all again!

Bull
Bull's Place at Dumpshock!

"Order is Illusion! Chaos is Bliss! Got any Fours?"
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

Bull wrote:Myself, I didn;t get to go out drinking with the drekkers.
Now, if the Tourney was scheduled for a sensible time... :D

Actually, what's the beef with at least starting it a bit earlier? Say, 5pm-9pm or some such? That way everyone who plays can at least have a decent amount of time afterwards to socialize.
__
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Much goodness with the Deevy-Violater message and the "I come from a country that Brother Justice eats for breakfast" Veedage message and conversation. Drunken fun good....slacker poor Europeans not coming...bad.

Very much missed all around. But there's video of four-four time, so all is good. :D
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
Beady
Bulldrek Junkie
Location: On the other side of reality, just this side of fantasy.

Post by Beady »

Am I the only person who didn't understand a single word of that?
_
"Well, Your Worship, it looks like you arranged to keep me in your pants for a while longer." --Han
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

Beady. You're young. Give yourself a year then you will understand everything that BroJ (Jeff) just said... :)
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

Or show up to a Gathering or GenCon. Trial-by-fire method. :)

Wait, that'll be about a year away anyway. Never mind, carry on. :)
__
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Jeff Hauze wrote:Much goodness with the Deevy-Violater message and the "I come from a country that Brother Justice eats for breakfast" Veedage message and conversation. Drunken fun good....slacker poor Europeans not coming...bad.

Very much missed all around. But there's video of four-four time, so all is good. :D
Four four time was a treat to see. The look of demonaic glee is the real capper for me.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

You....all...

are....a....complete...dirty...whore.
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
Bull
Tasty Human

Post by Bull »

Jestyr: I'be attempted to break it down before, but basically, it's this.

Gen Con has several core "slots" that games get run within: 8-12, 10-2, 12:30-4:30, 2:30-6:30, and 7-11. Shorter games or longer games fit as best as they can within those slots.

Because of the number of GMs involved with the Tourney at any given time, we need to have that slot "free" of other SR events, otherwise it gets nigh impossible to schedule the GMs I need. We run a single One Shot opposite the tourney for players who don;t get regged for it or don't want to commit to a three day event, but that's all we can afford, and invariably, even then I'm scrambling to fit everyone into the schedule.

Likewise, because of the volume of players we have, scheduling against other major events is a consideration. These events include Booth Events like Pinnacle used to do, Guest of Honor and Autograph signings, and Seminars. Factor in, to a lesser extent, walk-up booth demoes of newer games, and you have a whole slew of events that usually run all day long, until about 6:00.

Plus, I need about an hour relatively "free" for the GMs to get together prior to the Tourney, discuss the previous round, diuscuss the upcoming round, discuss schedules, get last minute adjustments, etc. The "slots" got adjusted this year in the afternoon so that they started and ended at half past the hour instead of on the hour, so it means I have a couple GMs tied up till 6:30, but it still gives me time to meet up with everyone to catch up with everyone. The convention schedule at GC is so hectic that often, I only see my GMs during these meetings, and they've proven to be very important to the Tournament. Much as I wish it were otherwise, there are always last minute questions and minor adjustments and fixes to the plot and game that need dealt with, and everyone needs to be on the same page.

I did the Tourney during an earlier timeslot a couple years ago. We had a number of regulars not sign up because it conflicted with other events. The only thing we conflict with in the evening is LARPs and bar binges. The former is a minor concern, but a very minor one since few SR Tourney players have ever complained about conflicts with LARPs. The latter is a bit more of a concern for me, since it means I don;t get to hang out with y'all as much. But... <shrug>

I have a job to do. I had complaints the one year we held the tourney during teh day. Running the tourney earlier might be more convenient for a handful of drekkers that want to go out drinking early... But not for the majority of my players.

And generally speaking, the Tourney's done around 11:00 anyways, enough time to go drinking for a couple hours still.

I can't make apologies, much as I'd like to. The Tournament is in the best time slot for the players, myself, and the GMs, on the whole.

Bull

Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

I mentioned the 5-9 suggestion simply because I'd heard a few people bandy it around as a good idea. I realize you're trying to avoid conflicts with other events; I hadn't realized there were only certain blocks of time you could select, rather than choosing a starting time for yourself.
The convention schedule at GC is so hectic that often, I only see my GMs during these meetings, and they've proven to be very important to the Tournament.
I should hope so! :D

(Oh, wait. Did the 'they' mean the /meetings/? :))
I have a job to do. I had complaints the one year we held the tourney during teh day.
And you've had complaints the years you've run it during the night, too, haven't you?

Probably a case of 'you can't please everyone'.
And generally speaking, the Tourney's done around 11:00 anyways, enough time to go drinking for a couple hours still.
Not last year, when every night ran overtime - sometimes by 25% or more depending on the GM - and not when you consider that most players want to go back to their hotels and dump their books and stuff. By the time they get out to socialize, most are lucky to have an hour left.

I understand that you're doing a job, and that you're making the decisions that you feel are best. Ultimately, they may well turn out to be the best compromise between everyone's desires. That doesn't mean that everyone's going to be happy with it, though.
__
Bull
Tasty Human

Post by Bull »

Yeah, I know. Trust me, I've contemplated setting things earlier. I did set things earlier a couple years ago to see how that would work.

Earlier would be good for me in a few ways... Especially because I'm usually up and at the convention center halfway early, it would give me a chance to possibly get to bed halfway early. WOUldn;t happen, even then, but... :] I can dream. :]

But, also, like I said, it's a matter of scheduling. We do have mostly limited timeslots, and I have to work within/around the other events. That right there is the biggest limitation :/ I have 16-18 GMs for GC, and as it is 13 are tied up GMing already. ANd when you have 2-3 each night who can;t GM because they have meetings to go to or something (I try my damndest to be flexible with the GMs to make sure I can give them at least one night off and work around any other events tehy have)... Suddenly you have every available hand running already.

If, for example, I was able to get a game in the 5-9 slot, I would have not only 12 GMs running the Tourney, but at least 3 runnings demoes and one shots during the first part of the tourney (Possibly more, depending. We're looking to up the game load a tad next year), and at least one running a one shot in the latter part.

Hard to do, on a scheduling front.

<shrug> I'm justifying, I know. Can't be helped. I have an annoying desire to attempt to make everyone happy if I can, and I know I'm doomed to failure on that count. Plus it sucks that what I (very firmly) believe to be the best course of action is also the one that goes against the wishes of a number of my friends, and means I have limited hang out time with said friends :(

Bull

Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

Bull wrote:Earlier would be good for me in a few ways... Especially because I'm usually up and at the convention center halfway early, it would give me a chance to possibly get to bed halfway early. WOUldn;t happen, even then, but... :] I can dream. :]
Blasphemer...
We're looking to up the game load a tad next year
Wow. That's ambitious, given the Gordian knot of the current schedule!
__
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

Well, there are also people like me who would be happy to GM so long as its not Tourney duty :D I'd run demos everyday just for fun if they were available, though I'm thinking I can work that out already if I split work for GoO and FanPro again. I know a few people who would be okay on demo duty only, some of us just don't feel comfortable enough dealing with having to judge other people's rping and all.
_
"Are you alright?"
"I'm a little fucked up in general so its hard to tell."