Housing Suggestion [Gathering, 2003]

This forum is for the discussion of various gatherings, get-togethers and other social aspects held or undertaken by members of this community, including Gathering 2002. Please tag all threads with the location and month of the event, as shown here.
No-Life Loser

Housing Suggestion [Gathering, 2003]

Post by 3278 »

Something you planning suckers [giggle!] might want to consider is the possibility of looking for a one-month lease on a house or condo for the Gathering, which is made possible by the location of this year's Gathering.

Let's say the house costs US$2,000 for the month. [This is provided you can find /anyone/ willing to rent for a month, which is not impossible. Recommend you /don't/ tell them what you're planning on doing. Lie, in other words.] If 20 people go to the Gathering, everyone's cost is US$100 for Gathering housing. If that's 5 nights, you're looking at an average cost of US$20 per night, which is cheaper than a hotel, and your facilities would be a lot nicer, too. A US$2,000 a month house is...well, it's going to be pretty damned nice.

Just a thought. I'd looked into it for 2002, but it just never came together.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

I did a search on apartments.com for places in Indianapolis that did short-term rentals, and turned uptheseresults.

[Actually, those aren't the results; it's the raw search page of Indy. So if you check all the appropriate boxes, you'll get the results. I figured it'd be easier for you if I linked the search page, so you could look for other stuff, too.]
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

Very good thought. I can look into that if the major planners want.
_
"Are you alright?"
"I'm a little fucked up in general so its hard to tell."
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

Definitely a thought, and thankyou Wildfire for volunteering to help.

We're also getting a surprising amount of love from the GenCon hotels lady, who's being very nice and helpful (and kudos to Ampere, who got in touch with her in the first place). So a block of hotel suites in Indy itself might not be out of the question just yet, either. :)
__
Jeff Hauze: Wow. I think Jestyr just fucking kicked my ass.
Ka0s 0verdrive
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Ka0s 0verdrive »

oh god.. I can see the hotel now.. the top three floors run by bulldrekkers. *laughs*

seriously though.. it'd be a kick ass idea to have a house or set of appartments near the Con...
<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="100%" height="90" src="http://www.winternightex.com/Stuff/kaos ... "></iframe>
Ka0s 0verdrive
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Ka0s 0verdrive »

wow.. sorry to double post... but I found This place... It looks quite nice... 3 bedroom executive suite... top floor. :)

oops... 6month lease minimum...

[Edit: Fixed link, added comment]
<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="100%" height="90" src="http://www.winternightex.com/Stuff/kaos ... "></iframe>
Ampere
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Ampere »

Even though that last one required a 6 month lease, the idea was good (posting ideas you come across here.)

If folks come across a place that can hold 20-25 people (roughly) for a few days: like cabins, hotels, etc...Please share with the group. There are too many places out there for three fully employed people to find. So...if you come across something, let us know.
Szechuan
No-Life Loser

Post by Szechuan »

EXECUTIVE HOME for lease 7525 Prarie View Dr. 4BR 2.5BA, walk-out bsmnt, 2C gar. $2100. Call Michelle at RE/MAX 216-5741/819-1900 X173

Foreclosure! Buy a 3br home for $4,500. For list 800-319-3323 x R753

SOUTH Foreclosure 3br home buy for $6,000 For list 800-319-3323 x R722

I'm afraid that due to my location and situation, it's a very bad idea for me to be the one calling these people. :)

Edit: Afterwards, I found these:

4-bedrooms, under $2000 american per month!

There are more. but the internet went fucky fucky on me. I'll post them when I get it working.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Foreclosure! Buy a 3br home for $4,500. For list 800-319-3323 x R753
And how bad is that section of town?
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Chuckles
Tasty Human

Post by Chuckles »

The state of Indiana has, unfortunatly, the highest rate of morgate forclosures in the nation. And there are some areas of Indianapolis and Marion county in General that you folks don't want to be in. Take it from a local.

If you're looking close to Indy, check out subleases in college towns. Most are only an hour away. There are also several universities in Indy (IUPUI, Butler) that might be good places to check into.

... not in my yard you don't ...

Post by NeoJudas »

Chuckles wrote:The state of Indiana has, unfortunatly, the highest rate of morgate forclosures in the nation. And there are some areas of Indianapolis and Marion county in General that you folks don't want to be in. Take it from a local.
Indiana is??? Wow ... and just imagine the hell of confusion when they check out the areas outside of Indy/Marion-County. Should just befuddle more than just average minds.
Chuckles wrote:If you're looking close to Indy, check out subleases in college towns. Most are only an hour away. There are also several universities in Indy (IUPUI, Butler) that might be good places to check into.
Chuckles ... there is a small part of me that is almost concerned you were suggesting something on this level. I have baaaaad images of my yard at some point for some reason (sorry, personal stress/paranoia are abominably high).

His idea does have some merit though. Subleases and short terms do exist, but some of the mid-radius hotels can be nearly as competitive depending upon how long you are looking into getting how much space.

I know what Chuckles ... the 'drekkers could descend upon a certain married couple's apartment that I know of. :cute
I have found the Rage
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

Argh. I am reminded again to check on the dorm policies for the summer.
_
"Are you alright?"
"I'm a little fucked up in general so its hard to tell."
Chuckles
Tasty Human

Re: ... not in my yard you don't ...

Post by Chuckles »

I know what Chuckles ... the 'drekkers could descend upon a certain married couple's apartment that I know of. :cute
Someone's house has far more space than my apartment... :p

Post by Cazmonster »

I call dib's on Chuckles tub!
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
Chuckles
Tasty Human

Post by Chuckles »

...curses...
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Dibs on his sink!!! Who's claimed his toilet? Maelwys?
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Twisted Sister
Wuffle Student

Post by Twisted Sister »

*sigh* don't mind me.
"Like hello, just because I am not using my arms, doesn't mean I am not working." - Jayson
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

Oh, we don't, sweetie, we don't.

*runs away*
__
Jeff Hauze: Wow. I think Jestyr just fucking kicked my ass.
Twisted Sister
Wuffle Student

Post by Twisted Sister »

Bitka. :oB
"Like hello, just because I am not using my arms, doesn't mean I am not working." - Jayson
NeoJudas
Tasty Human

About some Travel Arrangements/Assistance

Post by NeoJudas »

Okay, I've spoken with Rachel here in Lafalot (north of Indy). If anyone would like to have assistance from a travel service agent that is more local to the area, get in touch with her. I've worked with her in the past and have really appreciated her help.

I have informed her that a group of people I know are descending upon Indianapolis in July of 2003 and are coming from potentially many locations around the globe. She has information on hotels, suites, and I believe time-share like properties as well as transportation needs etc (renting a car type stuff, airline fares, busing, rail, etc).

She is used to working with people that travel from Indiana/US to all parts of the globe, so I believe she really does have a good grasp on situations but working with her professionally would always be cool too.

I also told her the group would, if any choose to do so, call her under the group name of "Bulldrek" (yes, I had to repeat the 'drek' part but she chuckled afterwards when I tried to explain it in under 30 seconds). She is also of course accepting email-based inquiries, with her information on the scan of her card here below.

Just let her know you are with the "Bulldrek Group" and that "Keith @ THREEH.COM" referred you (and no, I don't get anything out of this) so she can help keep things somewhat organized for those who like that sort of thing.
I have found the Rage
NeoJudas
Tasty Human

Post by NeoJudas »

One last note... the people who did Rachel's cards f'ed one item. The zip code I believe should be 47906, not 47996.
I have found the Rage
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Rock on, K.
</font>