So what about GenCon?

This forum is for the discussion of various gatherings, get-togethers and other social aspects held or undertaken by members of this community, including Gathering 2002. Please tag all threads with the location and month of the event, as shown here.

GenCon?

I plan to attend all 4 days
63%
I plan to attend only a few days
13%
I'm only interested in attending a single day
3%
I'm not really interested, but might go if everyone else is
3%
I'm not really interested
17%

Total votes: 30
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

So what about GenCon?

Post by MooCow »

We're trying to get an idea of what people's plans are in regards to
GenCon.
Eva
Baron of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eva »

Sidenote: although I voted 'One day only' I know that Earl and I will be in Indy for four days, but only for the social part of GenCon. It worked out /really/ well this year. So 'One day of GenCon' doesn't necessarily mean 'One night in a hotel in Indy'. Just here to complicate things with useless information. Tips hat.

[ sidenote: Barb! Barb! We get to be on the other side of this now! WOOT!]
One time I built a matter transporter, but things got screwed up (long story, lol) and I ended up turning into a kind of half-human, half-housefly monstrosity.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Yeah, I voted "not really interested," but the truth is, we'll attend GenCon for a day if we feel like it, but be there for all the evenings. You know, like we always do. :aww
Adam
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Adam »

Just a quick FYI for those of you who have not done the Gathering/Gencon before: Gencon is a really shitty time to catch up with some people, like, uh, me.

I'm usually busy running my ass off doing work stuff and trying to meet new industry people and schmooze and all that good shit. I try to keep my late evenings free for friends, but each year I find less and less time for them - and time to spend with /new/ people is just, well, nonexistant. I managed to spend time with, well, one 'new' person this year, and that was a special case. :aww

So if the success of your holiday hinges on getting me drunk or high or watching me sit in near silence for hours on end - best spend a day or two at the Gathering. ;-)
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

Gotcha Adam.... We'll put that on the advertising flyer. "Bulldrek Gathering!! Now featuring Adam Jury! Limited time only, tickets available at the box office or through Ticketmaster!"

:)
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Probably looking at maybe being there for the first three days and nights then leaving some time Sunday since it worked well enough this year.
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
Ampere
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Ampere »

I wonder how many Bulldrekkers are going to busy at GC. Adam will be pretty busy as will Bull being the GMing fool he is.... I wonder how many are having GC as a working vacation...

~A~
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

Me. If I'm not boothing for someone, I'll at least be working the publishers doing the pimping myself thing.
__
Jeff Hauze: Wow. I think Jestyr just fucking kicked my ass.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

I'll be in the SR Tourney. That's usually (assuming it stays true to form) 4 hours out each day.

Speaking of....if WotC gives an ass time again, I'm flying to Seattle and taking a bat to the entire office building.
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

Ah; as of next year, WotC no longer owns or runs GenCon. It's wholly managed by GenCon LLC, Peter Adkinson's company - him being the ex-head honcho of Wizards, and proud new owner of GenCon. Early signs indicate he might well be doing things quite differently from WotC.
__
Jeff Hauze: Wow. I think Jestyr just fucking kicked my ass.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Just give me a bat and point me in the right direction....
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I will be honest, Meri and I have never been to a Gen Con, so I am basing some of my scehdule off of input from 3278, and Eva and others. However I am really intrested in seeing GenCon, and I have made it clear to Bull that I am indeed intrested in GMing at least one game for Gen Con, if not two (SInce I knwo Bull always ends up short handed.) I have also asked Bull about something special for Gen Con, which would involve me wrangling 3278 and some others up for about four hours.

But I am more intrested in the Social Aspects as well. I do want to meet Adam and the people at SR during the Con, but I wouldn't mind a chance just to hang out somewhere or kick back something ICe Cold to drink.
Ampere
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Ampere »

It would be nice to place faces to names amd kick back with an ice cold refreshing Long Island Ice Tea or six.

~A~
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

I'll be working some con stuff for Bull, SR demos wherever they may be this year, and will have a lot more evening time this year, what with the not driving 2 hours back and forth and the firm knowledge beforehand or where I will be sleeping that night :)
_
"Are you alright?"
"I'm a little fucked up in general so its hard to tell."
Ampere
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Ampere »

I have to admit that I have never gamed at Gen Con. Actually I haven't gamed at a con in several years. It was crappy the first couple times I did it at a local con and I never did it again. I'd kinda like to do it this time. I may need some guidance in getting set up in everything. Gen Con has always been a shopping spree/ social gathering for me.
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

I might actually have a go playing at the Con this year instead of hanging round like a fifth wheel. :D
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
Tryyng
Bulldrekker

Post by Tryyng »

going, gaming, drinking.

i fully intend to spend at least one night doing something that could result in me and several other people running helter-skelter through the streets to evade the law.
--- Cheddar Sword: +1 sharpness ---
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

I realized something...

I haven't heard from Bull lately.
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Shadowrun Tourney!!! :D
</font>
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

FlameBlade wrote:I realized something...

I haven't heard from Bull lately.
Well he had that whole moving thing to contend with. Well that and he probably got a life instead of hanging round here. ;)
The 86 Rules of Boozing

MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

Well that and he probably got a life instead of hanging round here
ummm... this is Bull we're talking about.....
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Oh, yeah. Point.
The 86 Rules of Boozing

Chuckles
Tasty Human

Post by Chuckles »

I'm gonna be there. Finacial aid is good for something, after all. My ass will be busy, however. I'm a White Wolf LARP bastid, and I needs my medicine.

I also have some other things planned, if it works out. I won't say much now, however. Not gonna get hopes up.

Post by Maelwys »

Fortunately it looks like my Gencon is going to be rather simplistic this year. No GMing for me. Gives me time to hang out with friends, see all of the con, have dinner, not worry about having games run from 7pm to 1am...

Oh, and freely puke my guts out without having to worry about a game the next day :conf

As for pimping myself..since I don't work for any companies, don't have to worry about pimping myself to them...so I can save it all for y'all :)
NeoJudas
Tasty Human

Post by NeoJudas »

Chuckles wrote:I'm gonna be there. Finacial aid is good for something, after all. My ass will be busy, however. I'm a White Wolf LARP bastid, and I needs my medicine.

I also have some other things planned, if it works out. I won't say much now, however. Not gonna get hopes up.
Run Away!!!! I've seen some of his recent "In the Works" concepts...... :roll
I have found the Rage
Dravion
Tasty Human

Post by Dravion »

Welllll, I think I'll be making a second gencon attendence and dragging a bunch of people with me drop #sr on dumpshock. Right now I have no idea who all or what yet but I think we were gona go at it alone... Unless we can't find a vehicle... that would be sad :cry
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

I just wish that there was a way Thorn and I could use my buddy's fly new SUV to make the cruise.
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

That'd be cool. Meri and I if I can stll come will be taking our Minivan with its fly Panzer shaped design and CD player,and unnaturally cool AC!