How much can you afford to spend on lodging per night?

This forum is for the discussion of various gatherings, get-togethers and other social aspects held or undertaken by members of this community, including Gathering 2002. Please tag all threads with the location and month of the event, as shown here.

Less then $10
No votes
$10 - $20
21%
$20 - $30
11%
$30 - $40
26%
Greater then $40
42%

Total votes: 19
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

Bear in mind that this is for lodgings cost only; food and entertainment will be separate.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Aren't these polls a little...well, uhm...early? I doubt that anyone has the planning skills to foresee what their lives will look like in a year.
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

On the one hand, yes.

On the other hand, no. :) I mean, when the first Gathering 2k3 threads popped up - about ten seconds after we all got back home! - there were a number of people who seemed pretty vehement that they wouldn't be able to afford X. Or they'd only be able to go under Y circumstances.

At the very least, this gives us some kind of basis to be working from. Most places are going to start taking bookings in a month or so, and if we /do/ choose to go the hotel route for the Gathering itself, we're going to want to make reservations as early as possible.

Better to start early, and run the risk that some people have to change their input later, rather than leave it until late and leave everyone in the lurch. :)
__
Jeff Hauze: Wow. I think Jestyr just fucking kicked my ass.
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

Also, keep in mind that this is all "Barring unforseen circumstances". I don't see what is so hard about planning where you're life will be next year "Barring unforseen circumstances". I know what I'll be doing, and where my life will be at next year "BUC". Yes, I could get sick, get married, have a kid, lose my job, go back to school, etc. But I don't *expect* to do any of those things. So while I take mild precautions with my planning/budgeting, I don't really take them into account.

That's what we're asking. What do you *expect* to be doing next year?

MooCow
The planning cow
Thorn
Wuffle Student

Post by Thorn »

Okay - I'm going to vote based on "per person per night", rather than "per room per night", which would alter things considerably, of course.
_<font color=red size=2>Just wait until I finish knitting this row.</font>
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

Yes, that's a good way to go. That's how we are doing our calculations.
The Eclipse
Knight of the Imperium

Post by The Eclipse »

If it's per person per night, this amount would be pretty arbitrary, depending on the idea of how many bulldrekkers you can (or will) stick in a phone booth (or hotel room or possibly both depending on the quality of lodgings.)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
'How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
'You must be', said the Cat, 'or you wouldn't have come here.'

MooCow is a carrier of Mad Cow Disease
Marius
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Marius »

We have a team in R&D working on that. The final calculations should be very exact.
There is then a need to guard against a temptation to overstate the economic evils of our own age, and to ignore the existence of similar, or worse, evils in earlier ages. Even though some exaggeration may, for the time, stimulate others, as well as ourselves, to a more intense resolve that the present evils should no longer exist, but it is not less wrong and generally it is much more foolish to palter with truth for good than for a selfish cause. The pessimistic descriptions of our own age, combined with the romantic exaggeration of the happiness of past ages must tend to setting aside the methods of progress, the work of which, if slow, is yet solid, and lead to the hasty adoption of others of greater promise, but which resemble the potent medicines of a charlatan, and while quickly effecting a little good sow the seeds of widespread and lasting decay. This impatient insincerity is an evil only less great than the moral torpor which can endure, that we with our modern resources and knowledge should look contentedly at the continued destruction of all that is worth having. There is an evil and an extreme impatience as well as an extreme patience with social ills.
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

If it's per person per night, this amount would be pretty arbitrary
No... it's not arbitrary. It gives us an idea of how much money people can afford to spend per night on lodging. This will effect where we choose, as well as how many people we cram into a room.

IE: We could choose place A, and put 6 people per room. or Place B, and put 3 people per room. etc etc.

MooCow
The roomy cow
Ampere
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Ampere »

Basically it gives us a rough idea of what can be afforded when we scope out potential sites. If we don't have an approximate figure that is semi-accurate, we'll end up skipping good sites. Essentially we get to shop for sites within a price range, this poll gives us the target amount.

~A~
Adam
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Adam »

I was under the impression - correct me if I'm wrong - that things would be a bit more organizedregarding rooms this year. For example. "We're staying at hotel X. Costs are listed <here> for the various types of rooms. Who is staying in what room?" and then people who want a room for just the two of them - like, oh, almost all of the Bulldrek couples, I wager :) - will have the opportunity to pay more but get sleeping space of their own.
Ampere
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Ampere »

We are still early on and scoping places out in order to have a selection. It's still early. Still trying to have some concept of what we are looking for so we can give folks options.

~A~