Gathering Planning 2k3

This forum is for the discussion of various gatherings, get-togethers and other social aspects held or undertaken by members of this community, including Gathering 2002. Please tag all threads with the location and month of the event, as shown here.
Eva
Baron of the Crimson Assfro

Gathering Planning 2k3

Post by Eva »

After some thought and talk, Thorn, 32 and I have decided to not form Gathering Planning 2k3. Maybe there won't be a committee at all, maybe there will. Either way, it won't be us, although we had a lot of fun doing it last year. Whoever decides to step up to the plate, we wish you good luck and are all here for questions and suggestions.

One more thing I personally would like to add, is a small is piece of advice: don't try to herd cats. What Planning2k3 should do in my opinion, is set a date, set a hotel and possibly set a block reservation. I leave it to the official Planners to do what they wish with my suggestion.

Once again, good luck to Planning 2k3. We know what you're getting into. :o)
One time I built a matter transporter, but things got screwed up (long story, lol) and I ended up turning into a kind of half-human, half-housefly monstrosity.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Cazmonster does the wife back boogie.
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
Ampere
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Ampere »

Well, I for one would like to see this thing happen in 2003. Several others are interested too.

Somebody will have to do some coordination for it to happen. I can understand last years coordinators not being interested in a repeat performance. For no reason other than it's a lot of work putting on events like this. I haven't handled this gathering before but I have handled gatherings of 300+ before (well, 1 was about 325, and two were about 100 each). I understand how much work it is.

My only hope is that regardless of who runs it next time the former coordinators will be available for advisory help. To answer questions etc.

I also hope people who want to make a difference, who want to participate and help, speak up. If people have an idea: speak up. If anyone has complaints about how things didn't work last time: speak up (with a solution or don't bother).

My understanding of the last gathering is that many people had a good time, but there have been lots of grumblings about things that didn't work. Personally, I think the coordinators are responsible for placing the pieces on the board, it's everyones responsibility to entertain themselves. I hope Thorn, 32 and Eva know they were appreciated.

I sincerely hope people start stepping up to bat to make this work.
Any Volunteers?

~A~
Quoth Drunken Master:
"When Colin Powell walks out of your cabinet because of doctrinal issues, you've got problems."
Quoth Moto42:
"Bulldrek, where love and appreciation are accompanied by a volley of gunfire."
Fortune
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Fortune »

Ampere wrote:Any Volunteers?
Isn't that what you just did?
<br>
Reality is for people that can't handle BTL!
Thorn
Wuffle Student

Post by Thorn »

Sorry to bust your chops, Fortune - I know you're just joking but....

Is that it? Has no one truly /responded/ to this for, what, two days? for fear of winding up having to work on the next one?

Look: Yes, it was hard. Yes, we busted our asses. Yes, at the end of it, we felt like we didn't accomplish all what we'd set out to do.

But Christ, people - either you want a Gathering or you don't. Or do you just want a Gathering served up to you on a silver fucking platter?

Well, then, I guess that's the question you all ask yourselves: Do you want it bad enough to work for it? Or will the entire thing just fade away because nobody could be arsed to bother?
_<font color=red size=2>Just wait until I finish knitting this row.</font>
Fortune
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Fortune »

Thorn: To be honest, if it was feasible for me to do it, I'd volunteer in a flash. As I don't even know if I can get there, it seems kinda dumb for me to comment seriously about it.
<br>
Ampere
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Ampere »

I imagine. But I am actually a newcomer here. I'm sure the heavy hitters around here would prefer someone who has more familiarity on the board, who has been to the gathering before. Possibly closer to Indianapolis even.
Sure, I wouldn't mind helping. I damn sure am not about to jump up and say "i'll do it" without support from the community. Whoever does do it should be backed by the people who intend to attend.

There is a responsibility factor involved because this will be something that will involve money and time investment. A person's annual vacation (which is what these things usually end up being) ends up being expensive.

Anyhow, i'd lke to hear what people have to say. Who they think would be good to coordinate. See who steps up. See who everyone agrees should do it.

Maybe we could get a rough show of "hands" who all is intending at this point to attend.

~A~
*waving hands!
Quoth Drunken Master:
"When Colin Powell walks out of your cabinet because of doctrinal issues, you've got problems."
Quoth Moto42:
Fortune
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Fortune »

If it happens, and if it's at all possible, I'll be there.
<br>
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

I'm so there....
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

I'd be willing to step up and work on the planning committee.

However, the reason I haven't volunteered yet, is mainly a job thing. I'm a Construction Engineer, so from early spring to late fall my life is not my own. During the construction season I often work long hours, and as you've heard me complain before, I don't have a computer at work.

However, if other people will also step up, I'll join the planning committee.

MooCow
The volunteering cow
Starburst
Tasty Human

Post by Starburst »

For reasons only in my control because I want them there(the reasons, I mean) for the rest of my life, I can't volunteer for the planning committee. I'm getting Married, probably around the same time as the Gathering. Maybe at some point in my life I'll actually be able to help plan for a Gathering, this year is not going to be my first.
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

I'm definitely going to be there. Barring asteroid strikes, anyway.

I'm happy to volunteer for the planning committee, although being in Australia for at least the next year, I'm not sure how useful I'll be. However, I officially volunteer if I can help.
__
Jeff Hauze: Wow. I think Jestyr just fucking kicked my ass.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

And the heck with board familiarity. If you need help. Tell me. I'll smash whatever heads need smashing until everything works out.
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
Ampere
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Ampere »

I keep having this knee-jerk reaction to say "Coool".
But when I do I have this Zoolander flashback...

~A~
"really, reallly good looking"
Quoth Drunken Master:
Quoth Moto42:
Gunny
SMITE!™ Grand Master

Post by Gunny »

I can speak for Daki with this:

the Gathering/GC may or may not happen for us. as long as Daki doesn't have a job, there's no way it'll happen. I'm also not sure what help we can provide in the mean time. which leaves us with a helpless feeling. the only thing we might be able to help with is getting the local BDers a good deal on their flight/hotel rooms/rental cars. that's something Daki will have to fill in for.

if we can go, I have a couple of questions/situations/etc: if the cabin is picked, is there a place for grilling? if there's a Sam's in the Indy area (chances are, if they have a Wal-Mart, they'll have a Sam's somewhere), we can use our card to get huge honking packets of meat (which doesn't have to be grilled of course) for dirt cheap. a little contribution for this would help greatly. if it's a hotel thing, would you guys be offended if Daki & I kept our room to ourselves? (I'm uber shy and won't be able to sleep at night with people coming and going and stuff)

that's all I can think of right now.
<center><b><font size=1><font color="#FF9900">"Invaders blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubber pants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!" -Zim</font></font></b></center>
Adam
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Adam »

I'm sure that hotel rooms willl be divided up based on who's willing to pay for what. If you and Daki can pay for a whole room on your own, nobody will complain about that. You won't be the only couple that wants privacy, certainly.
Gunny
SMITE!™ Grand Master

Post by Gunny »

I really would love to grill if that's an option. there's just something about playing with dead flesh that makes me SOOO hungry.
<center><b><font size=1><font color="#FF9900">"Invaders blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubber pants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!" -Zim</font></font></b></center>
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

I will be glad to help where I can, just hesitant to volunteer too much as Indy is also where a good deal of Nightshadow and I's college friends are whom we haven't seen in years. So there's a very good chance that if we end up at the Gathering at all, it will be more of a daytrip kind of thing. As long as no one minds the slight hypocracy of planning an event I may not even attend, I'll be glad to help out where I'm able.
_
"Are you alright?"
"I'm a little fucked up in general so its hard to tell."
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

I don't think any of us are going to turn down assistance, advice or input from a semi-local. :) Thanks.
__
Jeff Hauze: Wow. I think Jestyr just fucking kicked my ass.