(Last Minute) Questions Questions Questions

This forum is for the discussion of various gatherings, get-togethers and other social aspects held or undertaken by members of this community, including Gathering 2002. Please tag all threads with the location and month of the event, as shown here.
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

(Last Minute) Questions Questions Questions

Post by FlakJacket »

Since I need to exchange some cash I'm trying to gauge how much I should bring for the week.

What's the rent for people sleeping on the floor again? I know someone, Eva I think, mentioned it weeks/months ago but I can't find the thread now. Is it the full whack or a discounted floor rate?

Food expendses. I have absolutely no idea of how much groceries or eating out, if we do, costs in the US so was wondering how much each person'd be expected to shove in the daily food fund.

Activities/Outings? What, if anything has there been discussed that we might be doing? If anything specific has been mentioned, what are possible prices? Might any of them be dirty, e.g. bring some old clothes or other things etc.

Thanks.
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
No-Life Loser

Re: (Last Minute) Questions Questions Questions

Post by 3278 »

FlakJacket wrote:What's the rent for people sleeping on the floor again? I know someone, Eva I think, mentioned it weeks/months ago but I can't find the thread now. Is it the full whack or a discounted floor rate?
The rent, which I can either collect nightly or - preferably - all at once at the beginning of the week, is US$5 per night. Cheap, neh?
FlakJacket wrote:Food expendses. I have absolutely no idea of how much groceries or eating out, if we do, costs in the US so was wondering how much each person'd be expected to shove in the daily food fund.
Well, it all depends. The average cost of eating out is between US$10 and US$20, depending on where and what you eat. The average cost of buying groceries and eating will be between US$1 and US$10 per meal, again depending on what you're eating.

We'll be doing a lot of pooling money and going to the store to buy steaks or whatnot.
FlakJacket wrote:Activities/Outings? What, if anything has there been discussed that we might be doing? If anything specific has been mentioned, what are possible prices? Might any of them be dirty, e.g. bring some old clothes or other things etc.
Well, half the board is unemployed. :) So most of the activities are cheap-to-free. Arts, crafts, and for the not arts-and-crafts minded, drinking a lot on the beach.
Marius
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Marius »

Arts, crafts, and for the not arts-and-crafts minded, drinking a lot on the beach.
Right, drinks on the beach. Let's see . . . four days, $20-$30 a day for booze . . . I better cash a check.
There is then a need to guard against a temptation to overstate the economic evils of our own age, and to ignore the existence of similar, or worse, evils in earlier ages. Even though some exaggeration may, for the time, stimulate others, as well as ourselves, to a more intense resolve that the present evils should no longer exist, but it is not less wrong and generally it is much more foolish to palter with truth for good than for a selfish cause. The pessimistic descriptions of our own age, combined with the romantic exaggeration of the happiness of past ages must tend to setting aside the methods of progress, the work of which, if slow, is yet solid, and lead to the hasty adoption of others of greater promise, but which resemble the potent medicines of a charlatan, and while quickly effecting a little good sow the seeds of widespread and lasting decay. This impatient insincerity is an evil only less great than the moral torpor which can endure, that we with our modern resources and knowledge should look contentedly at the continued destruction of all that is worth having. There is an evil and an extreme impatience as well as an extreme patience with social ills.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

If there is a god in heaven, we'll be able to rent a pontoon boat for at least a day or two. Then we can have boat drinks.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Flak I may not be attending the gathering, but I have done some traveling in my day.

Okay 32s estimate- 10 to 20 bucks a meal is good for most greasy spoons and eating cheap at say TGI Fridays. McDonalds runs between 3 and 5 bucks for a fat ass like me. Taco Bell cheaper. But int he end my secret is this: Whatever you think you'll need to eat, add another 50% to it. This lets you have some leeway for tips and the occasional midnite snack or three.

Oh yeah and if you guys remember coolers, bring your leftovers home man!
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

As far as activties that don't involve crafts or drinking, there's simply tons of gaming to do.
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
Bull
Tasty Human

Post by Bull »

Besides RPGs, which will likely be in abundance, there will also be a large amount of imply hanging out inside (I hope, sun and hot BAD :)), and I'll be bringing my stock of Board Games and Cheapass Games, so we'll have plenty of silly fun entertainment as well :]

Bull
Bull's Place at Dumpshock!

"Order is Illusion! Chaos is Bliss! Got any Fours?"
Kwyndig
Grand Marshall of the Imperium
Location: The Orbiting Volcano Lair, high above the surface of Bulldrek

Post by Kwyndig »

Speaking of hanging out inside, am I going to have to bring my PS2, or does somebody else have DVD playback covered?

(Note: I'm am indeed still bringing the Transformers G1 Season 1 box.)
kwyndig@yahoo.com This sig for rent, reasonable rates
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Yes, a DVD player will be provided by the equipment sponsors - Flying Crockery Enterprises.
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
Kwyndig

Post by Kwyndig »

Actually, I may end up bringing my PS2 and some games anyway. I haven't decided yet.
Thorn
Wuffle Student

Post by Thorn »

Well, when you decide whether or not to bring your PS2, please let me know? I'd hate to disconnect my DVD player unnecessarily. Thanks.
_<font color=red size=2>Just wait until I finish knitting this row.</font>
Kwyndig

Post by Kwyndig »

A decision has been made! I'll be boxing the sucker up tonight after I get back from my BESM game. I will of course be bringing my selection of PS2 and PSX fighting games (JoJo's Bizzarre Adventure, Bloody Roar 3, Capcom vs SNK 2, Guilty Gear and Guilty Gear X, DOA2 Hardcore, and Virtua Fighter 4). I'd still recommend considering unhooking that DVD player, the PS2's DVD firmware can get pretty antsy, and refuses to even recognize some DVDs at all.

Now, any interest in the Dreamcast? I've got a wide variety of 2d and 3d fighters, including- Tech Romancer, Project Justice, The Last Blade 2, Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves, and Soul Calibur (one of the finest fighters produced on any system).
Reika
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Reika »

I figured there'd be alot of gaming, so....should I bring any of my books? :)
Kwyndig

Post by Kwyndig »

Image Of course you should bring books!

I'm bringing most of my BESM and SR books with me. My D&D3e are still on loan, unfortunately. And my GURPS and miscelleanous books would probably require a whole other van to haul them to the Gathering and back.
Salvation122

Post by Salvation122 »

Kwyndig wrote:[...]and Soul Calibur (one of the finest fighters produced on any system).
Soul Calibur 0wnZ j00.