Fact Finding Mission

This forum is for the discussion of various gatherings, get-togethers and other social aspects held or undertaken by members of this community, including Gathering 2002. Please tag all threads with the location and month of the event, as shown here.
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Fact Finding Mission

Post by MooCow »

Ok.... Liniah, Caz, Thorn and I are planning to take a day trip up to Hayes Resort and check it out the first weekend in May.

So anyone think of things we want to look for while there?

I'm thinking the following...

-- General condition of the cabins and resort. (we'll take pictures)
-- Location of the cabins (Which cabins do we have specifically?)
-- Where the nearest Hospital is and how to get there.
-- Where the nearest grocery store is.
-- Where the nearest Liquor Store is, the most important bit of info. :D

Anything else?

MooCow
The fact finding cow
Kwyndig
Grand Marshall of the Imperium
Location: The Orbiting Volcano Lair, high above the surface of Bulldrek

Post by Kwyndig »

Um, Good Luck?

Check locations of ATMs, and what cards they accept. Sometimes you just need cash, especially those of who don't like the concept of personal credit :kwyn
kwyndig@yahoo.com This sig for rent, reasonable rates
Nightshadow
Bulldrekker

Post by Nightshadow »

How about looking at the capacity of the kitchens and if there are any outdoor grill sites.
Tryyng
Bulldrekker

Post by Tryyng »

bathrooms. specifically, the water pressure of the showers to be found within
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

bathrooms. specifically, the water pressure of the showers to be found within
hmmm.... While I agree that a good pressure shower is nice, I was thinking of things to look for that we can compensate for. If the showers suck, what can we do about them? Kwyn's suggestion was good, because those of you who are anachronistic and deal in cash need to know how much cash to bring with you. But I'll put showers on the list anyways.

MooCow
The fact finding cow
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

Check things like:

What's allowed on the lake? Fishing? Swimming? Boating? etc
Is there a paintball field, an archery range, a renfaire and/or any other places people wanted to check on nearby
Is there a dumpster for throwing trash bags into, or will they come pick it up? We're going to generate a lot of trash here.
What's parking like? Next to the cabins, or a central parking lot?
What kind of lighting does the outside have when its dark? Actually, what kind of lighting do the cabins have period...
Doors and windows screened? Can the windows be opened? Central A/C or window units, or fans?
Do they have pots and pans or should we bring out own? How about chairs and/or tables? TVs and what type of hookups for things like VCRs, DVD players, and game systems?

I'll see if I think of anymore later...
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

You know, most of this - okay, all of this - can be done without visiting. Almost all of these questions we already have the answers to. Given that the visit is necessarily brief, the questions attempted to be answered should be limited to those to which we do not already possess the answers.
Instant Cash
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Instant Cash »

Ok, as 32 said, most of these can be found online. HERE

here are some of the answers

-Sheets, pillow cases, towels, and toiletries are NOT provided (pillows & blankets are)
-NO pets allowed, No exceptions
-Tenants responsible for all damages & missing items
-Baby-sitting service available
-Videogame room in main building
-Movie rental
-Small sand play area
-Bar and restaurant open 7 days a week, May 15 - September 15
-Bar and restuarant closed Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday, September 15 - May 15
-Available rentals: motors, pontoon, canoe, paddle boats and hydro-bikes
-No tents/camping

Additionally
All accommodations Include:

Air conditioning
Color TV, Cable, VCR
Full Kitchen with micro,toaster,coffee maker,dishes,cookware, utensils
Charcoal grill
Picnic table
14' aluminum boat
Boat dock privileges

And for the cabins we got:
an extra TV in one of the rooms
Gas fireplace in living room
Covered patio
Second patio above boathouse
Washer & Dryer

Anything else?
I want to shoot one of these Church kids and ask them "Where is your god now!"
-Big Jim
Liniah

Post by Liniah »

Just a general suggestion:

We should make sure we know who is sleeping in what sized bed so that they know what bed linnens to bring. However, it's still early for that and it has nothing to do with this thread. :crack
<center><font face="monospace" color=#0099FF font size="-1">one more blue sunny day</font></center>
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Bringing linnens!? Jesus Christ, this is starting to get silly. Me + sleeping bag + matrass = done.
Liniah

Post by Liniah »

Oh. Well, I figured if you have a bed, linnens would be easier than a sleeping bag. At least they take up less room to pack and maybe someone who doesn't have a bed would need an extra sleeping bag...or something.
<center><font face="monospace" color=#0099FF font size="-1">one more blue sunny day</font></center>
Instant Cash

Post by Instant Cash »

Those who are getting a bed pretty much know they are getting one. Just bring an old sheet that will fit either.

For everyone else, bring a bag.

In fact, that cuts down on sheets in general, just bring a sleeping bag like Dennis said.
-Big Jim
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

DV8 wrote: Bringing linnens!? Jesus Christ, this is starting to get silly. Me + sleeping bag + matrass = done.
Deev, you forgot a floor :)
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
Thorn
Wuffle Student

Post by Thorn »

Actually, for those of you traveling by air or otherwise dealing with luggage limits, I'm sure we can arrange for other people to bring spare sets of linens to loan. I know I'd be willing to loan out my double-sized sheets as needed.
_<font color=red size=2>Just wait until I finish knitting this row.</font>
Eva
Baron of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eva »

Not to mention that bed sizes and - as a result of that - linen sizes are different on the various continents. Let's state for now that people that are flying in do not have to worry about linens. If you want to bring a sleeping bag or something comparable, kick ass, but you don't have to bring sheets. Let the locals handle that. ;o)

We also have more than enough collective brain power to solve this, so I would hereby like to take it back to the mailing list, seeing as how everyone who needs linens is on that list. You will find my SuperEfficientMadAccurate Solution there. :o)
One time I built a matter transporter, but things got screwed up (long story, lol) and I ended up turning into a kind of half-human, half-housefly monstrosity.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

bleep-bloop-blaaap.

[This post has been moved to the mailing list.]
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Hi.

I want to make something perfectly clear right up front: I have nothing to do with planning the Gathering. Yes, Eva talks to me for advice sometimes, and yes, once the Gathering starts, I'm the man in charge, but until then, I'm just some guy like the rest of everyone else. I'm not a member of the Planning Committee.

That out of the way, I think there are some very serious problems with this planned fact-finding trip. Not only don't I think the trip is necessary, but I think it might also be counterproductive. I'll take the points in that order.

There's nothing that can be done by taking a trip up there that can't be done better with a phone call or some time spent online. I've talked with Bob Hayes on the phone on a number of occassions, and he's a very nice, very informative man who has no problems helping people out if they have questions. He lives in the area, he's very knowledgeable, very helpful. If we want to know where the hospital is, I guarantee that he's not only been there and knows exactly where it is, but that he's got their phone number at his desk. If we want to know where the nearest liquor store is, he'll know, and he'll also know where the /best/ liquor store is, which is likely run by someone he's on a first-name basis with. You get the point.

For damn sure, Bob knows the condition of his cabins and the kitchen they have and the quality of the bathrooms. He knows how much the boat rentals are [US$550 for a pontoon boat for a week], how big the lake is [2,600 acres or 4 square miles], and what's going on the week we're there [the annual Corn Roast, god help us]. See, not only does /he/ know that stuff, but /I/ know that stuff.

The only things we can't know are the subjective things, like the quality of the cabins. But, please, god, tell me, what are we going to do? For one thing, there is no way in hell these cabins are in a condition that will be unacceptable. This is a /major/ complex of cabins on a fairly major lake. We had to book nearly a year in advance to secure these cabins, and we /still/ got beat on our first choice. Do you seriously think the paint's peeling or the windows are cracked? And if it is, what are we going to do about it? Not stay there?

I don't know how many of you travel extensively. Personally, I don't. But I've talked to people who do, people who stay in cabins and at resorts, and I'm assured that going to a cabin so you can verify its quality is simply not done. And I'll tell you, if I owned a 13-cabin complex with a bar, a restaurant, air conditioning, and free 14' bass boats with every cabin rented, I'd be pretty put off by a group of people showing up with a camera taking pictures and making sure the place is okay. Not to mention I think Bob's starting to get a little confused about the plethora of people he's had to deal with so far. Would /you/ want to talk to Thorn and Caz and I over the phone? :D

Moo's right. If the showers don't have pressure, there's nothing we can do about it. And don't you think the Planning Committee took some pains to make sure that we're not staying at Skank Cabins, Incorporated?

There's nothing we can learn there that we can't learn better from here. And the things we can learn there accomplish nothing about which we can do anything. I don't think a trip there is necessary, and I /do/ think it's undesirable.

I'm sure this post has come off as being a lot more strongly worded than I meant it, but I've been kind of standing on the sidelines while all of this is going on, saying to myself, "What the heck are we doing here?" And so I decided to finally speak, and I'm sure I spoke more strongly than I should have. I am certain that there were good reasons for this in the beginning, but at this point, I just don't think it's a good idea, and I know it isn't necessary. I'm holding the Big Damned Guide to Fox Lake in my hands right now - well, it's in my lap, because I'm typing ;) - and everything we need to know is either in my hands - my lap - or a phone call away.

If questions need answered, ask them, and I can answer. If I don't know, I can find out. If I can't find out, hell, let the Planning Committee handle it. Trust them; they're good people. If you don't trust them for this, I've got bad news for you: they planned the whole Gathering. If they're really not trustworthy - Thorn, Eva, Instant Cash - the pressure of the showers is the least of our worries. And if I can't tell you where the nearest hospital is - Beaver Dam and Waupun are both about 10 miles away - then my research skills are /really/ slipping. :)

My thing is this: trust me, and trust the Committee. There's no need to go bug the nice Mr. Hayes - who's already going to have his patience stretched enough when we get there :) - for information that isn't going to help or that we already have.

Hey, thanks for listening. You've been a great audience. Please don't forget to tip your waitresses.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

You make very good points, 32. Can I tip you instead?
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

Okay, re-wording of important questions that I would personally like to know that are not answered by the website I have now been to, and I don't care who answers them how :)

Where am I going to park the van and how far am I going to have to manually move stuff to get it in the cabin?

Do I need to bring a flashlight or lantern to be able to get to one cabin from another without killing myself at night, or do I need to bring a halogen lamp so that I can walk around in the cabin after dark?

Are there more chairs than the 2 or 4 normally found in a kitchen, or do I need to bring my collapsable chairs so that all of us have a place to sit?

Do the TVs have coponment jacks or do I need to find my RF adapters for the Playstation and the N64?
Eva
Baron of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eva »

Wildfire wrote:Do I need to bring a flashlight or lantern to be able to get to one cabin from another without killing myself at night, or do I need to bring a halogen lamp so that I can walk around in the cabin after dark?
Whether you need it or not, it would seem sensible and not a big load to pack.
Are there more chairs than the 2 or 4 normally found in a kitchen, or do I need to bring my collapsable chairs so that all of us have a place to sit?
Are they heavy? Do they take up a lot of room? If both questions are answered with 'no', then please bring them. Should we end up not needing them, no harm done. If we do, YaY for Wildfire!
One time I built a matter transporter, but things got screwed up (long story, lol) and I ended up turning into a kind of half-human, half-housefly monstrosity.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Flashlights are *always* a good thing to have in the car.
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Instant Cash

Post by Instant Cash »

Wildfire wrote: Where am I going to park the van and how far am I going to have to manually move stuff to get it in the cabin?
You are driving a butt load of people, make them chip in and carry shit for you
Do I need to bring a flashlight or lantern to be able to get to one cabin from another without killing myself at night, or do I need to bring a halogen lamp so that I can walk around in the cabin after dark?
Always bring these things while traveling. You never know when your going to need one. I keep a big mag lite in my car at all times. Not only is it kick ass for light, but you can also beat people with it when they screw up your order at the drive thru. erm
You can NEVER have enough chairs. trust me on this.
Do the TVs have coponment jacks or do I need to find my RF adapters for the Playstation and the N64?
Well the componant is small enough, stuff it in a nook somewhere just in case.

Maybe I am just too much a boyscout. :D

now, on to what 32 said.

I have been wondering about this myself. The only reason I can think of why I would want to go up there is so that I know the drive. However once up there, I know the area to the north so I was thinking of going up there as well. I do not think bugging Mr. Hayes would acomplish much other than to make him worry more. Resort owners in general (I know I am making a generalization, oh well) get very itchy when a large group of young people converge on their site. Especially when it is a family place.
I don't know how many of you travel extensively. Personally, I don't.
I do, often. In WI even. This place is pretty off the hook. Looking over all the ammenities and such, they got some money invested here. The boat for every cabin seals it right there. Which is cool cause I might actually go fishing while I am there. It should be a pretty nice place, and the less you bug the people in charge, the more you can get away with.
Skank Cabins, Incorporated?
We checked into this but they were not up to our standards for skankyness
. If they're really not trustworthy - Thorn, Eva, Instant Cash - the pressure of the showers is the least of our worries.
ahhh shit! you trusted us! :D j/k

seriously though, you have questions? We got answers. So far there hasnt been much I can't answer except the nearest liquor store. Although if I read right, they have a Bar at the site. And in WI it IS legal to buy bulk liquor from the bar. If I remember correctly anyway. In fact you can do that here I think as well. anyway.

I have no Idea what I was saying but I hope this helps with any questions people have. If you have more, let me know, I have enough of these little contact buttons under my post, use them.
-Big Jim
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Instant Cash wrote:
Wildfire wrote: Where am I going to park the van and how far am I going to have to manually move stuff to get it in the cabin?
You are driving a butt load of people, make them chip in and carry shit for you
So where does she park the van and how far is she going to have to manually move stuff to get it in the cabin?
Instant Cash

Post by Instant Cash »

Step one:: Pull Van up to cabin

Step two:: Unload crap

Step Three:: Move van to parking spot

Step four:: Use flashlight to find your way back to the cabin

:D
-Big Jim
Liniah

Post by Liniah »

First off, I thought it would be a very good idea to check out the cabins /before/ we put money down on them. Looking at them now just takes away some curiosity, and possibly helps plan for packing a bit better. When my family vacations, we never take a place without looking at it first. Pictures are decieving, and of course the guy who owns it is going to tell you it's nice. Duh! You're going to be paying him and all.

How much parking space is there? Are we dealing with 'park in the grass' or is there a driveway or what? If we're to park in the grass, any idea how wet it'll get when it rains...as in, are there lots of holes or are we on a hill or what?

Do we know if the grill is gas or not?

Does 'dishes' and 'cookware' and such include storage things (for example tupperware, like for leftovers and shite) and aluminum foil, etc?

What does the floor plan look like? How many rooms are there? How many beds per room? How is it set up?

...more later....I need to go to class...
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

To be very blunt here; the cabins have been paid for, so making sure things are to your satisfaction before spending the money is very much out of the question. And all these questions that you are asking; does it really matter if you have to park in the grass? Does it matter one flying fuck if the grill is a gas grill or not? What the fuck do you need tupperware for!? And did you have a floor plan of Brine's house when we all decided to go up to Ohio and have fun?

Seriously, is this something you all need to know? I mean, is this worth the trouble of going up there and bothering this guy for?
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

Flashlight: Yes, I always have a small maglite on me, but I have like three more should anyone need them.

Halogen: I honestly don't want to bring these just in case, but nothing bugs me more than trying to see in a dimly lit room with a single overhead incandesant bulb.

Chairs: I was playing on bringing mine, but I can borrow lots more if needed, and possibly some cots if people were interested.

Whether of not I have room depends on who and with what the final pickup list includes. Honestly I was asking these questions because it sounded like the desicion to go up to the cabins had already been made, and the point of this was to post questions we would like, not need, the answers to since people were already going to be up there. If going up there is still in debate, than lets settle that first.
Instant Cash

Post by Instant Cash »

There will be plenty of lighting, these are more modern cabins, I have stayed in similar. When they say Cabin, they mean "house that people only stay in during the summer"

If you have the extra stuff, say so. People can then ask you if they want it. Do not bring extra stuff for who knows what, your vehicle is going to be packed enough from the sounds of it. Bring stuff for you and your SO, then, if people ask, bring that as well.

Easy nuff eh?

As far as parking, one cabin is kinda on its own, we can figure out where to put cars, trust us. Also, if all else fails, according to the map, there is a big plot of Farm land across the road :D

yee haw!
-Big Jim
EvanMoore
Wuffle Trainer

Post by EvanMoore »

DV8 wrote: Seriously, is this something you all need to know? I mean, is this worth the trouble of going up there and bothering this guy for?
I think they're just getting excited and wanting to spread out some of the joy over a longer period of time. <grin>

Evan
---------------------------------------------------------------------
[blur]It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. --Andre Gide[/blur]
Ryan Murphy
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by Ryan Murphy »

I'm all up for not bugging the guy. I mean, he obviously paid money or put a lot of work into it himself to make sure people had the whole picture before they went. When you decide to annoy him in person, it says to him that all his work was for nothing.

If we want his trust, we'll have to give him some slack too :D
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

Well my whole thought was not really stuff like condition of cabins, but what else is around this place. Hospitals, stores, etc. If you think all this info can be provided by Bob, then I guess we don't really need to bother.

I also thought it just might be something fun to do. Road trips are cool. *Shrug*

MooCow
The looking for fun cow
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

MooCow wrote:Well my whole thought was not really stuff like condition of cabins, but what else is around this place. Hospitals, stores, etc. If you think all this info can be provided by Bob, then I guess we don't really need to bother.

I also thought it just might be something fun to do. Road trips are cool. *Shrug*
I can guarantee you I can get all the necessary information from Bob. And if you guys are looking for a fun road trip, I guarantee I can find something /way/ more fun than looking around rural Wisconsin. :evil :D
Thorn
Wuffle Student

Post by Thorn »

I think 32's right. A lot of the points he made were things that have been nagging at me lately about this whole thing, but hadn't been able to verbalize really well.

Here's the thing: I know, there are scummy resort owners out there. But I don't think Mr. Hayes is one of them. I've talked to him a number of times, Caz has talked to him a number of times, and he's never done a single thing that seemed at all out of line to me. That little "spidey-sense" you get when something doesn't quite add up? Mine hasn't gone off once.

The man has been really great to us. He had Caz's name pencilled in on our cabins for roughly two months before we ever gave him a dime. Granted, I don't take that to mean he turned away any business on our account, but still, if I called up and said, "Hi, my husband called you a while back about these cabins for Aug 3-9, and I had a couple questions" his reply was, "Oh, let me check my book.... oh yeah, Chris, right? What can I do for you?"

Heck, when I explained to him why we were going to have a lot of people leaving the cabins on Thursday, he admitted to being a science fiction geek as well.

And frankly kids... okay, we haven't thrown this stuff out online because it wasn't necessary, but the next cheapest place we could find within two or three hours of Milwaukee? It was half again as expensive (so twice as expensive for all of us, because we would have reached our cap on the 3278 Assistance Fund) and really crappy. Monumentally crappy. Like, go use the communal shower at the main lodge crappy. I don't know about any you, but that's not my idea of a good time.

I'm thrilled to death about finding Hayes Resort, and I think we're going to have an excellent time. I think we're going to have an excellent time even if the showers do have wussy pressure, and even if the exterior paint is a little peel-y in spots. We're Bulldrekkers, fer cryin' out loud. We could have an excellent time in Turkish prison.

Wildfire: Will you do me a favor? Email or pvt msg me your questions. I will make sure to get answers to them to you within the next couple weeks.

Lin: Um, if you'll scroll up you'll note that Instant Cash already posted that each cabin comes with a charcoal grill. Also, if you would follow the link to Hayes' site, you could find out how many rooms there are in each cabin and how many beds (and what sizes) are in each room. (We're in cabins 6, 7 and 8, just so you know.) As far as your other questions - if you would also email or pvt msg me with your questions, I will find out answers for you as best I can and get back to you in a couple weeks.

Moo: Heck, we don't even need to get this info from Mr. Hayes. Fer pete's sake, most of us /live/ on the dang internet. All we have to do is go to a Yellow Pages site and type in "hospital" and "Fox Lake, WI" and we can find out what hospitals are in the area. We can do the same with grocery stores, liquor stores... anything we couple possibly need.

I know this may seem odd, since I was part of the contingent going to visit, but I'm glad 32 spoke up. I'd been pretty uncomfortable with the idea for a while, for a lot of the same reasons 32 listed as thinking it's probably not a great idea to do this. My impression so far, though, is that if Mr. Hayes were a D&D character, his alignment would be Lawful Good. I really don't think we need to worry too much about this kind of thing.

(Lin, Moo - you're of course both still welcome to come hang out with me and Caz in Madison though. We just won't have any "business" to take care of. grin!)

[EDIT: Curses! 32 is too quick on the draw. Or he just writes shorter posts. Nahhhh....]
_<font color=red size=2>Just wait until I finish knitting this row.</font>
Kwyndig
Grand Marshall of the Imperium
Location: The Orbiting Volcano Lair, high above the surface of Bulldrek

Post by Kwyndig »

Or, of course, Lin, you could all come down and bother me for a day this time Image
kwyndig@yahoo.com This sig for rent, reasonable rates
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

he admitted to being a science fiction geek as well
SVEET! We have to invite him to come get drunk with us some night. Then we'll tie him up, and take over the camp. Sell all the other guests on the black market slave trade.

What?!? Oh yeah.... time to take my medication.... :)

MooCow
The medicated cow
Instant Cash

Post by Instant Cash »

And we are not stopping to from taking a drive to fox lake. I am sure it is rather ...scenic. Plenty of cows.

Or you could just go get drunk with Thorn and Caz and eat cheese. All while watching Monty python or something, in the theater.

Beer, on tap, in the theater. Moo wouldn't leave.
-Big Jim