[Gathering 200X] Roughing It

This forum is for the discussion of various gatherings, get-togethers and other social aspects held or undertaken by members of this community, including Gathering 2002. Please tag all threads with the location and month of the event, as shown here.
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

[Gathering 200X] Roughing It

Post by MooCow »

Is anyone else out there an Outdoorsy type?

It's been years since I've been backpacking/camping/etc. I'm thinking it might be interesting to do some backpacking one of these years. Not for the Gathering itself, but maybe the week before or the week after. Or maybe not even around the Gathering at all. Maybe spring or fall (I'd avoid winter if I could. Not a big fan of the cold.).

Is there anyone that might be interested in such a thing?
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Ooer! That could be a heap of fun to try. We even have lots of the goodies we need for camping, as Briney remembers.
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
Eva
Baron of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eva »

Would this trip involve hiking as well, or just camping? If B, I'm interested. I hate camping, but it's like painting the house: I always forget how much it sucks.
One time I built a matter transporter, but things got screwed up (long story, lol) and I ended up turning into a kind of half-human, half-housefly monstrosity.
Instant Cash
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Instant Cash »

We go camping

We have stuff

We do it in the summer when it is nice and warm.
I want to shoot one of these Church kids and ask them "Where is your god now!"
-Big Jim
lordhellion
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by lordhellion »

I'm from Oregon; I'm all about camping. Maybe you jokers can come out here to the west coast for a camping Gathering, for a change, and give us Drekker's on the "west side" a break.
_No one was ever put in a history book for being a great conformist.
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

Would this trip involve hiking as well, or just camping?
I was thinking Backpacking. We hike into a campsite, set up camp, eat, sleep, etc. The next day we pack up and hike to a new campsite, set up camp, eat, sleep, etc. Repeat for as many days as we want.

I did this back in college for spring break. Several of my friends and I went to Red River Gorge in Kentucky. We hiked around, we got lost, we met some cool people who got us unlost. We promptly got lost again. :D

All in all it was a blast.
Big Jim
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Big Jim »

I am always in for these types of things.
And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

Camping I love. Hiking is not my thing, sadly. (Sodding drivers who don't watch where they're going, *grumble grumble*)
__
Jeff Hauze: Wow. I think Jestyr just fucking kicked my ass.
Eva
Baron of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eva »

MooCow wrote:We hike into a campsite, set up camp, eat, sleep, etc. The next day we pack up and hike to a new campsite, set up camp, eat, sleep, etc.
Ah. Hiking then. ;o)
One time I built a matter transporter, but things got screwed up (long story, lol) and I ended up turning into a kind of half-human, half-housefly monstrosity.
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

Camping I love. Hiking is not my thing, sadly.
What we might be able to do would be find a place that has roads linking most of the camping areas. Red River Gorge had alot of camping areas that were not far from a parking lot (it also had a lot that were). Those that like to back pack could hike most of the gear over to the next site, while those that don't transport the really heavy stuff (like alcohol) via car.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Starved Rock!

It's smack dab in the middle of Illinois and a hoot and a holler.

Of course, there's all kinda keen West Coast stuff too, just have to get the hoopty G out there.
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

Excepting the usual financal issue, sounds like fun :) For those looking fro this year and willing to get into Indy area a day early, Turkey Run is a great place to hike, or if you're not into that, canoe and go tubing. :)
_
"Are you alright?"
"I'm a little fucked up in general so its hard to tell."
Big Jim
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Big Jim »

Cazmonster wrote:Starved Rock!

It's smack dab in the middle of Illinois and a hoot and a holler.

Of course, there's all kinda keen West Coast stuff too, just have to get the hoopty G out there.
Starved Rock has always been a lot of fun, although I've never camped there. Always day trips and such.
And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

There's also a whole load of nice places in the midwest/east. Ohio, Kentucky, and Tennesee have some real nice stuff. And of course there is always the Apalachian Trail if you are feeling particularly motivated.

If we were to go someplace around Idaho or New Mexico I have relatives in both that would be able to hook us up with all the best places. My Uncle regularly takes hunting trips in Idaho. No cars, just packs the horses up, and they ride off for a couple of days in the mountains. I'm told it's a blast. (except when the horse freaks and jumps off a cliff, almost dragging you along with it. That happened this summer.)
Instant Cash
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Instant Cash »

MooCow wrote:
Would this trip involve hiking as well, or just camping?
I was thinking Backpacking. We hike into a campsite, set up camp, eat, sleep, etc. The next day we pack up and hike to a new campsite, set up camp, eat, sleep, etc. Repeat for as many days as we want.

I did this back in college for spring break. Several of my friends and I went to Red River Gorge in Kentucky. We hiked around, we got lost, we met some cool people who got us unlost. We promptly got lost again. :D

All in all it was a blast.
Dude, that is like work and shit.

We drive up, unload the car, set up camp and drink heavily.

We even go to sites with electricity. I know it is cheating but I did years of the rustic stuff. And honestly, I am all about easier.
I want to shoot one of these Church kids and ask them "Where is your god now!"
-Big Jim
Thorn
Wuffle Student

Post by Thorn »

Dude. That sounds cool. I don't know we'd be able to swing it for this year without some creative weekend-extending, but I think it'd be hot shit.

Personally, I've seen the midwest. If we're going to do this, I'd like to head west a bit. Maybe not Pac-NW or Cali or something, but... west-ish. The Rockies, say.
_<font color=red size=2>Just wait until I finish knitting this row.</font>
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

hmmm...

Now I only can wonder what kind tent 32 would come up. :)

Satellite linked...

Camping sounds cool, and best part of it is that it tend to be very cost-effective.
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Thorn wrote:Dude. That sounds cool. I don't know we'd be able to swing it for this year without some creative weekend-extending, but I think it'd be hot shit.
*nods* same here. Especially if I'm going to Roadtrip this year. Backpacking rocks.

Spot the former Boy/Girl Scouts in the crowd. :D
The Rockies, say.
The Grand Old Duke of York, he had a thousand men. He marched them up a hill and he marched them down again...
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
lordhellion
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by lordhellion »

Yeah, the Rockies. Where the real mountains are; not those sissy east-coast mountains. I honestly get freaked out it I'm in an area that's not ripe with mountains. (Is there a -phobia for that?)
_No one was ever put in a history book for being a great conformist.
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

Dude, that is like work and shit.

We drive up, unload the car, set up camp and drink heavily.
That's the Gathering. That's why I didn't suggest it for the Gathering itself.
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

Just as another idea.... White Water Rafting.

The place below is pretty awesome. I went there about 3 years ago. Clean facilities, nice staff, and food/alcohol isn't too hard to come by. And apparently they have recently built some bunkhouses, so this might even serve as a Gathering place some year.

http://www.narr.com/contact_us.cfm

Edit: I just realized that I quoted that, instead of putting url tags on it.
Last edited by MooCow on Mon Jan 13, 2003 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

It all sounds like a blast, wherever it ends up being. And with my direction-skills, I'm sure I'd be a big help in the daily "getting-lost" scheme. :cute
To the entire world, you may be one single person, but to one person, you may be the entire world.
Anguirel
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Anguirel »

I'll get us un-lost if we go... I can do all sorts of orienteering if all else fails, but I'm also fairly good at auto-mapping my route so I can usually trace my route back. And... I'd love to join in for this type of thing. Hiking, Rafting (I prefer kayaks or canoes, actually), Cross-Country Skiing (whee, winter camping!) and Camping r0xx0r, j0!
complete. dirty. whore.
_Patience said: Ang, you are truly a font of varied and useful information.
IRC Fun:
<Reika> What a glorious way to die.
<Jackal> What are you, Klingon?
<Reika> Worse, a paladin.
<Jackal> We're all fucked.
ratlaw
Tasty Human

Post by ratlaw »

I'm all for hiking or camping (hiking without the walking :). I'd recommend the Appalachian because I'm pretty familiar with them, but if we want to be able to drive and hike between camp sites, the parts I know aren't very suitable. I've always wanted to do some hiking in the SW which might be more suitable...
--
Ratlaw

By request all posts end in "Bla-DAMN!"
Anguirel
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Anguirel »

The North-East (Massachussets) and Mid-Region (Pennsylvania through Virginia) Appalachian Trail is ideal for Hike & Drive Camping. The Shenendoah Valley area and Blue Ridge Mountains (large hills?) in particular are good for this, as many of those regions have a road that parallels the trail and hits a trail-head that will join the AT every 5 to 10 miles or so (up to a whole 20 on rare occasions ;) ).

I'd equally enjoy the Rockies (particularly the Candian Rockies around Jasper and Glacier National Parks), Olympia Rainforest (and we could go visit Seattle, too, so we can all see what sort of town SR is supposed to be run in), almost anything in Northern California, or even the SW (though it better be spring, fall or winter in that case... I don't get along with excessive heat or light... I'm all about forests).
complete. dirty. whore.
_Patience said: Ang, you are truly a font of varied and useful information.
IRC Fun:
<Reika> What a glorious way to die.
<Jackal> What are you, Klingon?
<Reika> Worse, a paladin.
<Jackal> We're all fucked.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Appalacian Trail?

Look no further than Bill Bryson.
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

ratlaw wrote:I'm all for hiking or camping (hiking without the walking :). I'd recommend the Appalachian because I'm pretty familiar with them[...]
Smokey Mountain National Park, muthafuckas!

Start breaking in your boots; this would be a /shitload/ of fun.
paladin2019
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by paladin2019 »

Y'all wanna come out to Colorado around Memorial Day, me an' a couple of people from Hgh school I keep in touch with have our ATF weekend. Paintbal, shoot up the valley, big ass fire... Oh, yeah, private land, too.
-call me Andy, dammit
Salvation122

Post by Salvation122 »

Private land kicks the shit out of national parks.
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Now now Sal, national parks are very important national property. That's just the evil republican in you talking. :p
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
Salvation122

Post by Salvation122 »

I've camped in national parks, and I've camped on private property, and private property is almost always cleaner, quieter, less populated by RVs and families with toddlers, and lacking in electrical outlets.

That said, National Parks can be pretty fucking kickass, too, and I wholly support them. I just find private property to be a safer bet.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

lemme see..

It's matter of money, correct?
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
Salvation122

Post by Salvation122 »

What, to camp on private property? Not always. Even then it's usually not phenomenally expensive - fifty bucks or under for a permit, from what I've seen, although I know there are places that charge higher.