[Gathering 2003] Gut Check

This forum is for the discussion of various gatherings, get-togethers and other social aspects held or undertaken by members of this community, including Gathering 2002. Please tag all threads with the location and month of the event, as shown here.
Thorn
Wuffle Student

[Gathering 2003] Gut Check

Post by Thorn »

Okay, this is totally not something I want to be thinking about, but... I think we need to. And pardon me, Planning folks, if I'm stepping on any toes.

As things look now, there seems to be hardly anyone who's fully on board for this thing. Which, you know, I understand. It's been a shitty year, financially, for a lot of people, and so committing to a vacation can seem kind of risky right now.

So I'm finding myself wondering, "Is this thing even gonna happen?" Because, you know, if it's not... okay. Sucky, yes. But better that we all face that now and say, "Yes, there will be no Gathering this year" than to put on some elaborate charade of planning something only to have it fall apart at the last minute.

Hell, perhaps we end up having a few mini-Gatherings in various locations and then all meet up at GenCon. Granted, it's not ideal, but it's a lot easier make (and break, if necessary) plans on the order of "Okay, Bob and Martha are going to come visit me and Caz, and Joey and Trisha are going to hang with Instant and Jaded and then we'll all meet up at GC" than to set up something at Hayes only to have to back out on it later. At least that way, the risk of somebody winding up holding the proverbial bag avoided.

So, I guess here's my question: Is the Gathering really going to happen? Do we really have enough people committed to it to make the Gathering a reality this year?
_<font color=red size=2>Just wait until I finish knitting this row.</font>
Ampere
Wuffle Initiate

Re: [Gathering 2003] Gut Check

Post by Ampere »

Thorn wrote:Okay, this is totally not something I want to be thinking about, but... I think we need to. And pardon me, Planning folks, if I'm stepping on any toes.

As things look now, there seems to be hardly anyone who's fully on board for this thing. Which, you know, I understand. It's been a shitty year, financially, for a lot of people, and so committing to a vacation can seem kind of risky right now.
I don't think this is stepping on my toes at least. I agree things aren't as happy and shiny as I expected. I think the Gathering will happen, although the size may be smaller than planned due to inability to get solid commitment from people. Not pointing any fingers: i'm as guilty as anyone in this.

My contact at Gen Con LLC. isn't responding re: bulk room rates so my usefulness just dropped to nil. So basically as far as Gen Con goes everyone is on their own for that.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

GenCon registration is in the beginning of Feb, yes?

Oh, and I'm so in for the Gathering...
Last edited by Cash on Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Ampere
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Ampere »

The thing that sucks is that all seemed well in September for getting a bulk room rate before it got opened up to the general populace. In the end I got dead air and no response other than "Open registration begins..."

I was a bit miffed since I thought we had an in. Maybe I should have spent a little nuyen on my contact;)
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

I was thinking about this. While we may end up cabinless, I don't think that makes the Gathering dead if we don't want it to be. If we don't get cabins we can always throw tents up at a state park, get a bunch of rooms at a hotel on the outskirts of town, etc etc.

The Gathering is lots of people getting together, drinking lots of alcohol, and having a good time. As many people have said before, we'll do this regardless of where we end up.