[Project] Tandem Writing

For products of the right brain in all its forms, original works reside here for display, comment, critique or annoyance, take your pick.
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

[Project] Tandem Writing

Post by MooCow »

Anyone interested in starting up a Tandem Writing project? Similar to the ones we did back before The Great Implosion - 4-8 people taking turns writing the same story, each from the perspective of their particular character (for the most part). No particular GM, any writer can drop plot points which any other writer can pick up and run with.

Goat Sex!
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
Eliahad
Squire of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eliahad »

Oh I'm interested, I'd just be flaky in my contributions.
Chocolate sauce on a buttery nipple. *Bliss*
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

How do you define flaky? I'd say if we averaged 1-2 posts per day as a group total we'd be doing alright. That'd be 1-2 posts per week per person.

Of course, it's always permissible to pass, as long as you don't do it /too/ often. Lord knows with summer coming up I'd do it a few times at least.
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

What are you in the mood for? I'd be up for restarting our little sci-fi thing, though right now I'm more in the mood for a modern fantasy. Been burning through the Dresden Files lately, wouldn't mind something along that genre.
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
Eliahad
Squire of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eliahad »

By flake, I mean this week I have zero on the free time scale, and next week I have a lot, and who knows what the week after that holds. And then sometimes I just flake out in the more traditional sense of not keeping up my end of the doohickies. I'm up for anything though :)
JohnnyRico
Wuffle Student

Post by JohnnyRico »

I'm in as well. That Trek thing we did was fun as hell, but I'm up for whatever and whenever.
"I have a conundrum for you. A riddle if you will. What's the difference between you, and malard with a cold? I don't remember how it ends, but your mothers a whore." -"Sean Connery" Celebrity Jeopardy- SNL
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

Alright, well we got 4 people then I think. Shall we give it a try? As we have one new person, and we're missing three of our previous authors, I vote we start new.

I'd like to do a modern fantasy, since I've been burning through the Dresden Files lately. If you haven't read any of the books, here's a decent primer on the world - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dresden_Files. It's basically very WoD like, though I'd say with considerably less angst.

Thoughts?
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
JohnnyRico
Wuffle Student

Post by JohnnyRico »

Jim Butcher is, and has been for several months, my newest God of writing. The Dresden Files and the Codex Alera are two amazing series. I'm chomping at the bit for the next book in both.
"I have a conundrum for you. A riddle if you will. What's the difference between you, and malard with a cold? I don't remember how it ends, but your mothers a whore." -"Sean Connery" Celebrity Jeopardy- SNL
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Oh sure, why not?

10:41 Kai: Ohayou minna
10:42 Adam: ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER! :)
10:44 Kai: Fuck off, how's that? ;P
10:45 Adam: Much better.
TLM
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by TLM »

I've been going over the old tandem writing prjects, and they certainly look interesting. Might not manage more than a post or so a week, though, so if that's too low, I won't butt in.
Geneticists have established that all women share a common ancestor, called Eve, and that all men share a common ancestor, dubbed Adam. However, it has also been established that Adam was born 80.000 years after Eve. So, the world before him was one of heavy to industral strength lesbianism, one assumes.
-Stephen Fry, QI
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

I'd say that'd be fine. I've got a nice busy schedule, so I'll probably be no more then 2 per week.
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

What the hell, count me in. :)
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

Alrighty then, we've got seven. I'll start two other threads. One In Character, one Out Of Character. We'll discuss characters, plot, writing order, things like that in OOC. I'll post the Prologue in the IC post, and we'll take it from there. I'm posting the prologue just to help kick off the creative juices, we don't neccesarily have to starting adding chapters until we get characters settled out.

Title is "Heaven & Hell".
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

JohnnyRico wrote:Jim Butcher is, and has been for several months, my newest God of writing. The Dresden Files and the Codex Alera are two amazing series.
What's the Codex Alera series like? As a devoted Dresden fan I've been meaning to have a look at the first one but lack of time, and to some extent past experiences of successful authors trying to branch out into new genres to try and get out of the shadow of their first creations and the results, have kept me from doing so so far.
JohnnyRico
Wuffle Student

Post by JohnnyRico »

You'll get to see a little bit of their magic system in my character's powers, but the book series are at the same time nothing alike, but very similar. The plot centers around a single family, the primary focus being on the young Tavi, who is unique in his inability to call on the elementals, called furies, that everyone, and I do mean everyone else has at least a slight ability to call on. In every book so far, he covers political back-blading, violence, romance (though some books more than others), prejudice, and cultural diversity. And he does it while making it a hard book to put down.

If you go in expecting Dresden, you won't get it. I hesitate to say that you'll be dissapointed, because that's essentially what I did and it's far from the truth. I've read all nine Dresden books, and all three in the Codex Alera, and I'm chomping at the bit for the fourth one. As always with Butcher's books, the story, characters, and the entire world are all well developed.
Reika
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Reika »

Codex Alera has the feel of Ancient Rome (not with those specific terms of course) with magicians who have powers fueled by elemental spirits. As is usual with Butcher, the writing and characterization are excellent.