[Website] Readability Improvement

For products of the right brain in all its forms, original works reside here for display, comment, critique or annoyance, take your pick.
Ancient History
Demon

[Website] Readability Improvement

Post by Ancient History »

Okay, I've finally comitted to fixing my technically pathetic web site. I have thus bought a book on HTML today. I have decided on the following:

1) I shall create a Cascading Style Sheet for reference to make the styles in the pages uniform.

2) I shall create an Index page.

3) I shall redo all the pages, fixing spelling errors, removing excess code and generally cleaning everything up.

It has been suggested I use a different font. Suggestions would be helpful (The last I remember is "Wingding.")

It has been suggested I use different colors. Suggestions would be helpful.

If there are any other stylistic changes that would be a bonus, suggestions would be appreciated.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Use a sans-serif font. Arial, Verdana, Helvetica. Justify your text or display it in table elements for visual organization.

10:41 Kai: Ohayou minna
10:42 Adam: ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER! :)
10:44 Kai: Fuck off, how's that? ;P
10:45 Adam: Much better.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Verdana. For God's sake, use Verdana. And let me know when it's done, or if you need help with CSS.
Ancient History
Demon

In your opinion, do the tables improve the organization of the information? I won't try building a whole page of tables (at least, not again-that weaponry page was a bitch), but are they helpful?
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Very. 90% of this board is laid out in tables. It organizes information and helps with presentation immensly.

Ancient History
Demon

Oh good. I hoped they'd be helpful.
Ancient History
Demon

Testing

This is very, very far from being set in stone...I still need to play with colors and styling to improve readability and whatnot. But the CSS works, and I now have an index page.
Adam
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Adam »

You should remove the <p> </p> tags within the <li> </li> tags; they're not necessary and cause the page to use a lot more vertical space than it needs. The more Good Stuff you can get 'above the fold' [the spot where the average user can't see something because they have to scroll down] the better.
Ancient History
Demon

Right-o. Fixed. Still not beautiful, but I can work on that later.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Can someone please give this guy a spot on dumpshock?
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Well AnHi's site does seem to be a lot more active than half of the currently hosted ones over on the Matrix part of ds. Perhaps you should e-mail the admins and ask? Failing that, Winternight offers some good deals on sites and the like.
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

3 months of payment is a free domain even ;7

Seriously, it'd be probably $10/month or less for hosting through WT.

Adam
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Adam »

Bah; we said we'd give him space on DS - I just have to talk to Mark about it, and I barely see him lately. *writes note on side of monitor in felt pen*
Ancient History
Demon

Thanks, guys. I wasn't going to bug Adam about it again 'til I'd re-done all the pages.
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

The only thing I'd ask is that you make really clear what's fact, what's ED related and what's suspected or your own idea/opinions. Although it's fairly easy to see and well marked most of the time, someone new coming into this fresh could be very confused if not careful. :)
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
Ancient History
Demon

:( I thought it was clear. Hmm. Is there any particular page you had in mind, or little bits everywhere?
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Sorry, the 'most of the time' seems to have slipped in as a turn of phrase more than anything else. I'll let you know if I see anything major though.
The 86 Rules of Boozing

Ancient History
Demon

I have just completed and put up the first draft of the refurbished orichalcum page

I think the readability has improved considerably, but I'd like feedback, it y'all don't mind.
Moonwolf
Wuffle Master

Post by Moonwolf »

On my comp, it has a pointless bottom scrollbar, so you may need to shrink the table width % by 1. Other than that, it's a good, clean, readable site. Congrats.

Edit: Spelling mistakes:
Para 1, line 5: "continued"
Para 2, line 2: "disappear"
Para 3, line 2: "said"
These line numbers given on 1024*768.
Ancient History
Demon

Thank you, I'll make a note of that and fix it.
Ancient History
Demon

Okay, I fixed that. I've also fixed the invae page.

Currently, I'm working on the Immortals page, and considering a few things which I'd like some input on:

1) Would book references be helpful on the orichalcum page?

2) I've figured out how to do an in-page linking, so you can jump directly to my reference for a given statement and back again. I was primarily thinking this would be useful on the metagenetics and blood magic pages, but what do y'all think?
Ancient History
Demon

I know, I know--another bugging about my website. hey, it beats the rest of my shitty writing, eh?

This is the current work-in progress for the Immortals page. Not the revisions and expansions on what is there (I'm just now getting to Ehran the Scribe. Aargh.) However, it seemed a bit blocky to me so I attempted to break it up a bit. What do y'all think?