[Lyrics]Tomorrow's Horizon

For products of the right brain in all its forms, original works reside here for display, comment, critique or annoyance, take your pick.
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

[Lyrics]Tomorrow's Horizon

Post by Salvation122 »

Lyrics to a piano piece I wrote about half an hour ago. (Link to the piano part will be forthcoming, so you can hear how it fits together.)
_
I know you don't feel this way.
I know it'll never work.
Too much between us.
Far too much difference.

Conclusion breeds contempt,
And now it's out of my hands but
I won't forget
The silent tears we wept.

Wish things had worked out different.
Wish we'd said the things we meant.
Wish I had never kissed you.
I'm so sorry, can't forgive you.

But in the end, it's better.
You said it in your letter.
"The tower always topples,
So get out early while you can."

[Piano bridge.]

Talked online last night
About God and Fate and
Death,
And what it meant.

But does it really matter?
The world's grey and tired.
We all stumble through asleep,
And pretend that life's worthwhile.

I wish that I was kidding.
I hope you'll keep on sitting.
I'd give anything to hear you.
I'm so sorry that I missed you.

The end of days comes nearer.
I must admit, I fear her.
She twists these things inside me,
And hope is all that ever comes._
As always, all feedback's appreciated.
Ratoslov
Tasty Human

Post by Ratoslov »

I'd love to sing this for you, Sal... I'd like to contribute some of my singing to Artistic Liscence, but I don't know how to write music yet. I'm learning to sing, largely by teaching myself.
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

The best way I can tell you how to write music is to ignore all the theory stuff for now, sit at a piano, and figure out the stuff that works. The only thing you need to know is scales, that a standard major chord in a given key is the first, third, and fifth note in that scale. From there you go to town.

Theory stuff is helpful, granted - it's nice to know that a ninth is going to give you an odd little dissonance, and where that can be used, and where certain chords are appropriate and whatnot - but the friends I have that play in a garage band do everything entirely by ear, and they write some better than average stuff. In the end, if you have the ear - and if you listen to metric shit-tons of music, like a lot of budding musicians, you probably do - you can figure out what works.

Hoping to write the piano part on my keyboard at home, and then dump it to the laptop. Screwing around with the piano roll in Acid takes way, way, way too long to do anything useful.
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

Piano roll is so frickin' tedious, part of why I went back to eJay instead of Fruity Loops.
_
"Are you alright?"
"I'm a little fucked up in general so its hard to tell."
Ratoslov
Tasty Human

Post by Ratoslov »

Re: Trackers. Currently, I'm tooling around with Buzz, simply because it's object-oriented nature appeals to me.

Re: Music Theory: I'm researching this heavily, partly to learn to compose, but largely because I believe I could make a really kewl composition/puzzle video game out of it if I just understood enough of it. I am, after all, a video game designer, even if I haven't finished one yet.

Edit, Re: Music Theory: I found this site: http://www.musictheory.net/
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

Or rather, ask Eliahad :)
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
Eliahad
Squire of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eliahad »

Music Theory is a tool, not an end. However, it is a rather useful tool and one that should be researched, which I commend you for doing on your own Ratoslov. The only thing you're really learning when you study Theory is compositional history. You're looking at what people have done before, what's worked, and what hasn't. Then, you're getting the whole history of what people have 'thought' composers did. So everything you read you have to take with a grain of salt

Theory teaches you analysis, and its analysis that lets you grow. It's what let's you say, "hey, that sounded cool, and I know why" For those of us who have the ears to hear, but not the ability to write it down, it helps you get over the bumps and the hurdles. I need theory because I have the ear for intonation and for harmonic function, but not for that special imaginary voice that tells you which notes to put on the page. That's why not all performers are composers, and why some composers really couldn't perform all that well.