GMC Banshee

For products of the right brain in all its forms, original works reside here for display, comment, critique or annoyance, take your pick.
paladin2019
Bulldrek Pimp

GMC Banshee

Post by paladin2019 »

I'm looking to model one. Does anyone have any good images, especially ones with humans in the same plane. Anyone have concept specs for mass, dimensions, etc?
-call me Andy, dammit
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I'll try to find one with an actual size ratio to it as well. I know it's the equivalent of a main battle tank.
paladin2019
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by paladin2019 »

Thanks. I've already got that pic, but this one is better resolution.

I'm beginning to think I'll be taking a little artistic license on the thing.

I have no desire to figure out how much thrust these need if they are, weight-wise, comparable to MBTs :eek
-call me Andy, dammit
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

paladin2019 wrote:I have no desire to figure out how much thrust these need if they are, weight-wise, comparable to MBTs :eek
The thrust is equal to the same amount of energy required to build Battletech's magic "ablative" armor, power one of their ridiculously efficient aerospace fighter engines, or make any thing relating to FASAnomics or FASAfizzicks believable.

I believe the Module has the number memorized.
Last edited by Jeff Hauze on Fri May 04, 2012 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

I do, although in this case that's hardly surprising: the number also happens to be precisely the same as my IQ.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

I would have thought it was higher than 3.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
paladin2019
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by paladin2019 »

Dimensions.

Going by Rigger 2 and Rigger 3 (no acces to much of anything from SR), a Body 6 equates to a 5-20 ton vehicle. Rigger2's load of 30 comes out to about 3.25 m^3 of cargo space, a little more than the 4x8, bar height wargame table down at your FLGS. R2's defined 7500l of fuel is twice this. The Pegasus 11 engine is a little less than 3.5x1.25m. Call it that to account for nozzles, ducting, housing, etc. So something on par with a Sheridan or Chaffee.

SR2 says 2 assault cannon (18D), 2 HMGs (10S), and a turreted autocannon (12D and SA?) and 4 hardpoints. R2 and later choke this back to hull hardpoint and turret hardpoint. R2 and SR3 also define the access as 3h+1h while R3 says 1c. All say 3 ejection seats. Screw R3, a single canopy only is silly for the traditional courier mission.

The art always seems to have a "pursuit discouragement system," an oddly boxy turreted gun, and two domes on the back deck (likely the drone bay). The vehicle itself has a rounded, vaguely shark-like design.

To model it.

Sheridan is 15t, 6m long, 3m wide and 2.5m tall with its turret. At 25mm (`1/60), I'm thinking roughly 4 inches long and 2 wide. Up to 2 inches tall with turret, depending on how the upper contour works out.

Big question is where to put the Pegasus X's. Bottom reduces ducting for vents but exposes them to damage from mines and NOE mistakes. Bringing them up complicates the thrust system and exposes them to fire in NOE operations (conversely protecting them at low-level flight.) High mounts might simplify cargo loading, and pax if cargo bay can be configured for "taxi service."

CP2020 uses both on it's AV series vehicles. The -4 and -6 (UH-1 and UH-60 analogs, basically) are bottom mounted, the -8 (heavy lift via interchangeable pod, a la Sikorsky Skycrane) and -9 (attack aviation) use top mounted. Air assault equals underslung, otherwise high it seems from RTalCo's designs.

The Stonewall from the preview of the SR4 Ares Security Catalog clearly shows intake scoops on the side of the hull. (It looks a lot like Banshee concept art....)

(If I properly extrapolated the game stats and did my math right, I come up with a requirement of 1250kN to accelerate this thing, assuming a 15t T-bird and it's rated 250m/3s acceleration rating. The latest Pegasus engines are only rated for a 10th of that but Harriers (with a comparable nominal top speed) can vertically launch at just under 10t loaded weight (conventional at 14t.) So I've got a problem somewhere. Do I need to figure acceleration to 1000kph over 12 sceonds? Regardless, I'm using ~Pegasus dimensions; they push a Body 6 range aircraft to a comparable speed in the real world.)
-call me Andy, dammit