[Discussion]Why?

For products of the right brain in all its forms, original works reside here for display, comment, critique or annoyance, take your pick.
Kai
Wuffle Master

[Discussion]Why?

Post by Kai »

So I'm curious, anyone who's posted here, or plans to, why do you do whatever it is you have posted or will post? Because the opportunity presents itself, your practicing to get better, you like torturing other people? ;)

10:41 Kai: Ohayou minna
10:42 Adam: ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER! :)
10:44 Kai: Fuck off, how's that? ;P
10:45 Adam: Much better.
JetPlane
Wuffle Student

Post by JetPlane »

I like torturing other people.
To be loved, you must be lovable.
OverLord
Wuffle Initiate

Post by OverLord »

All three, in varying degrees.
"If we would guide by the light of reason, we must let our minds be bold."
~Louis Brandeis
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

I'm all about the constructive criticism and any inspiring ideas that anyone lets off.
To the entire world, you may be one single person, but to one person, you may be the entire world.
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

I was depressed and wanted to share.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Suppose I should answer my own question. I think its a sort of personal dare. I don't think anything a draw or write or whatever is all that terribly great. I've gotten to a point where I can accept that some of it is good though, which believe me, is a great deal of progress from the days of everyone is just saying that to not hurt my feelings or they're doing the smile and nod and she'll go away thing :)

I think its still a sort of personal hurdle for me to get it off my computer or out of my sketch pad onto someplace public. I don't neccesarily think its really having people see it but more than the possibility for someone to see it exsists, that someday I'll have to own up to it, good or bad, instead of hiding it on my bookshelf.

Its probably a function of self-esteem, a step after saying you know what, it doesn't matter if anyone likes it so long as I like it or am at least having fun doing it. I kinda like it when someone thinks something I did is cool or good, but a that's horrible won't destroy my drive to do it anymore :)

Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

The track you did in eJay was really, really good, Wild. How long did it take you to do that? Twelve hours, spread over a couple days? Maybe you just have better starting samples then I have, but I've been mucking around in Acid for around three months now and I don't have anything nearly that good complete yet. (I need my fucking keyboard. Piano rolls just don't do it.)
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Heh, erm, like 2 hours :) eJay is all pre-bruilt loops essentially, like the whole intro part is really 4 'samples' for the progression bits, and 2 for the background. Its like playing with the toddler 12 piece puzzles instead of the 700 piece adult ones, you can't change much about the sample other than tempo, length, and the whole key its in, so you just start clicking on stuff to see what it sounds like pattern and instrument wise and putting them in a giant 16 channel piano roll. God help you if you want to add something in betwen two things, you gotta grab and move everything over.

It seems okay but if you have a specific idea for a sound in your head, its really, really hard to get it there. Its quick, but your options are a lot more limited than a true program like Acid or Cakewalk.

Brineshrimp
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Brineshrimp »

I'll probably post something at some time, because, well...I want to share what I wrote.

I'm not too concerned whether people like it or not. I just hope for constructive criticism, that's all.

Hell, if someone does nothing more than read and enjoy them (without ever saying so), that's fine with me.
This is my signature. Enjoy
God gave us a penis and a brain, but only enough blood to run one at a time.
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

I do it because I want to. When I get an urge to write, I do so in the manner that strikes me at the moment. I don't sit down and say, "Okay brain, time to write something." because it doesn't work that way for me.
Beady
Bulldrek Junkie
Location: On the other side of reality, just this side of fantasy.

Post by Beady »

Hmm, I'd say...because I'm bored. Someone I know on IRC was writing a HUGE story and asked if I could help her write a part of it. So, I told her to gimme a little while to write something short so she could see what kind of crap I'd be giving her. That was my first story, just over a year ago. Now when I get an idea and write it, but mostly because I'm bored or my computer is down for some reason.

I'm still trying to decide which of my masterpeices to post here. :p Probably gonna have to refine whichever one I put here anyway.
_
"Well, Your Worship, it looks like you arranged to keep me in your pants for a while longer." --Han
Anguirel
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Anguirel »

When I used to write, it was generally for a class. I wrote a few poems in high school, because it was something to do when I had a few minutes free. I particularly enjoyed writing haiku. I also wrote story fragments for a free-form RPG for a while. Each person wrote the scene from their own characters perspective, then added a little. So each subsequent post was a little recap (though told from a different perspective) and a little new material (for others to use in their next fragment).

More recently, I've been writing narrative non-fiction. That goes in my Live Journal. I've also considered writing up a (slightly modified) account of some of the games I've been running -- if it ever gets past a few paragraphs of some specific sections, I'll probably have to keep these hidden from here, as they'll contain information on the game that the players probably shouldn't know as yet... ;) Generally, though, I write, draw, or whatever for others to enjoy. To get them to think. To inform. To convey a thought, image, story, whatever to others.

As it stands, I probably won't bother posting things here, much, but if I have time I'll be happy to do some constructive criticism for people. I'll warn those interested now, though, that I don't do the mutual masturbation thing (and I quite rather detest the many groups online that I see which do that sort of thing) -- if I read and critique a story, I'll usually pull out my editor's hat and pen and mark up spelling and grammar, plot inconsistencies, observations on usage, and otherwise actually criticize and then offer suggestions. Some people, for whatever reason, don't seem to like that. If you'd like me to poke at your posts here, feel free to PM me. Otherwise I'll probably just read or view (when I have time) and lurk.
complete. dirty. whore.
_Patience said: Ang, you are truly a font of varied and useful information.
IRC Fun:
<Reika> What a glorious way to die.
<Jackal> What are you, Klingon?
<Reika> Worse, a paladin.
<Jackal> We're all fucked.
Lord Death Hand
No-Life Loser

Post by Lord Death Hand »

Well when I post something, if I get the time and my scanner working, I'll post it because it's something I want to share. That and the pics I'll most likely be posting will be pics of what I think your personas look like and if I'm wrong you can tell me what the persona should look like so I can get a proper idea. As an added bonus it'll give me an even better excuse to draw other than "I'm bored." I might even submit some writings when I get around to finding them/creating them. :p
I am the evil monkey what lives in your nuts.

Lick my butt and suck my balls, America FUCK YEAH!
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

Sometimes I feel like if no one's paying attention to me, I might just vanish. *poof*