[Story] The Missing Star - Chapter 1, Part 3

For products of the right brain in all its forms, original works reside here for display, comment, critique or annoyance, take your pick.
Gunny
SMITE!™ Grand Master

[Story] The Missing Star - Chapter 1, Part 3

Post by Gunny »

She never said a word about that day to anyone. It was her secret and she wanted to keep it until she could confront Endymion. Gliese wouldn't have to wait long. He came to visit the Princess Serenity on her 14th birthday and waited at the same pillar where she saw him last. Without hesitation, she stepped up behind Endymion and stared at his body. She marveled at the width of his shoulders, the build of his legs and how the armor he wore settled on his body like befitting a God. She wanted to say something, but before she could, he turned around with an expression of pure surprise. They stood in silence for an agonizing moment. She wanted to throw herself into his arms and beg him to love her and not her sister. Instead she spoke and her voice was calm although her emotions were in turmoil, "You were expecting Serenity."

The shock wore off and he sighed. His sweet blue eyes drifted to the ground for a moment and then came back up to her face. His smile was slight and soft. "You've become so beautiful Princess Gliese," he said. His last memory of her was a pre-teen girl who stood quietly without sadness or fear when their world came crashing down. Instead she stands before him a young woman, tall, slender, dark hair delicatly twisted into four buns and the rest hanging like a black silk cloud. The silver dress she wore hugged her blossoming body and he couldn't help but notice all her rounded curves that were delicatly accented by gold threading. Her pale face created a sensation of fragile beauty that made him feel like weeping. It took all his will to keep from reaching out and caressing her face. Instead he bowed his head in respect.

"Yes highness. I came to see the Princess Serenity." He looked up at her, "Will you tell the Queen then? Send both our kingdoms into war?"

Her face darkened and she growled, "Are you threatening me Prince? May I remind you that it wasn't I who decided to break the edict of his royal parents to court a little girl in place that's forbidden to him." The blood rushed to her cheeks in anger and then flushed into embarrassment for losing her temper. She sighed and hugged herself. "Endymion... what happened to ... us? Did you fall in love with my sister the moment she was born? What did I do to make you loathe me so much that you'd leave me quietly, but you'd risk all to be with... her? You don't even know her! But you know me! We grew up together! You've known her for far less," her voice started to quiver and she turned around so he couldn't see the tears welling up in her eyes. "Is it because I'm no longer in line for the throne? Because I can no longer wield the powers of the Imperium Crystal? Or is it because... because I'm no longer physically capable of bearing children?"

The walls she built up to keep from feeling any pain came crumbling down. The tears flowed freely although she never made a sound. Endymion couldn't stand idly by while she cried, he came up behind her and hugged her. He rested his cheek against her head and whispered, "It wasn't you Gliese. It was me. I didn't feel right inside when I was with you. I felt like I was lying to you and myself. The moment I saw Princess Serenity for the first time, I felt something inside me become calm. I didn't understand it then, but I finally understood it when I saw her again almost fourteen years later. I felt that same calm overtake me and I knew."

She turns her head up slightly to look at him. "What did you know?" she asked.

He smiled softly and his caress grew warmer. "That she was born with my heart and I couldn't live with my heart on another planet without me," he said as he turned her around and wiped the tears out of her eyes. "I can't imagine how this must hurt you Gliese, but I have to do the right thing. I'm sorry. Please know that I don't hate you and I didn't do this to spite you. I love Serenity and in my heart it feels like I loved her from a previous life. Gliese, I'll always be here for you just like Serenity will," he tried hard to make things less painful as possible, but the anguish in her eyes only made things harder. "Please try to understand," he begged.

Her eyes fell and the tears dripped onto the floor. "I... I understand," she whispered and then darted away. He reached out for her, to stop her, to pull her back into his arms and hold her while she cried, but she was too far away. Gliese's name built up in his throat, but before he could call out to her, Princess Serenity called out to him. Endymion turned, his grim expression completely vanished at the sound of her voice, greeted her with open arms and a tender kiss.

"I heard a commotion! Is everything alright?" the young Princess asked as she held onto him tightly as if he would vanish any moment. Endymion paused for a moment, his eyes fixing on Princess Serenity's long hair and his fingers twisting into the delicate locks. His heart ached at what he had said, but it had to be done.

"No, it was nothing. It was nothing at all," he whispered to Serenity as he drew her up into a loving embrace.

To Be Continued....
<center><b><font size=1><font color="#FF9900">"Invaders blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubber pants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!" -Zim</font></font></b></center>