BD on iPhone

Users should come to the Embassy to make all suggestions, bug reports, complaints, and anything else relating to the forum itself. The Embassy Control staff will take all issues seriously. Or kill you. One of the two. Possibly both.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

BD on iPhone

Post by DV8 »

I just wanted to let you know that bulldrek doesn't render very well on the iPhone and perhaps also on Safari. The bottom menu sort of hangs half way on the screen and the top of the page is hidden underneath some black square. If you care to fix that I can provide with some screen shots. Let me know.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

That's interesting. This is a known issue on Android, as well - Browser doesn't seem to handle the positioning CSS properly, although I can't figure out why - but I wouldn't have guessed it also effects the iPhone. Originally the solution was to use the [stripped] template, but it now also uses positioning CSS to fix its top border in place.

The [mobile] template is supposed to be the solution to all these problems: a specific template for smaller screens, yay! Except on Android, anyway, it renders an enormous empty background with text taking up a tiny portion of it. There's just got to be something in the CSS that I'm missing, or some aspect of Browser [and the iPhone browser, as well, apparently] that I don't grasp.

What I'd really like is a native Bulldrek app for iPhone and Android, but that would be a completely ludicrous project for virtually no benefit to the users. Still...

I'll keep working on [mobile], and hope that Apple and Google will keep working on their CSS compatibility. It's hard to imagine any of this is on them, though; it's got to be something I'm just not seeing.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Hey, is this fixed now? I'm getting the correct rendering on Chrome for Android, but I don't have an iDevice to test this on. What're you seeing now?
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Oh, poop. Well, that broke something else - visibility when scrolling - so I'll have to fix that.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Okay, now try it. Going to try writing some responsive CSS that'll collapse the right header links below the left header image, in what I like to call my "spare time."
Bishop
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Bishop »

Can't help ya there, bud.....last Apple product I owned was an Apple IIC. :)
Pax Romana, Motherfucker.
Breaker of unbreakable things.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Fixed the header transparency, so it should be "good enough" for the moment, although I'd still like to use @media to resize the header elements for portrait-orientation mobile.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Wrote a nice little @media setup to give different versions to browsers, but all of the browsers I tried seemed to be using a very different viewport than the one their resolution would suggest. Used (orientation: portrait), but it didn't really make a difference: mobile screens still render the page very, very small, and didn't benefit from the mobile-design stacked header. Clearly I need to learn some more about how mobile browsers are rendering the page.

But all the header visibility and footer positioning stuff should work right now. Basically the site should look the same on mobile as it does on desktop. Also took advantage of the chance to redo the layout of the header with a div or two, rather than tables, although a lot of tables are still in use. What I wouldn't give to redesign a phpBB installation with CSS3 and HTML5.