Development Dream List

Users should come to the Embassy to make all suggestions, bug reports, complaints, and anything else relating to the forum itself. The Embassy Control staff will take all issues seriously. Or kill you. One of the two. Possibly both.
No-Life Loser

Development Dream List

Post by 3278 »

My days and nights are completely empty of all meaning, so I have nothing better to do with the endless, dreary interplay of dark and slightly more dark than to imagine how Bulldrek could be even more awesome. How would I do that, if I could?

It's interface would be more freespeech and less phpBB. When I first started, I knew shit about coding of any kind [now I know bile, as well, which is a step in the right direction], and really had only a design background. While I'm please at how I've tweaked SubSilver - the phpBB default theme - it remains, nevertheless, a tweak. I want to destroy everything we don't use. I mean, really, does it need to say, "All times are GMT - X Hours" on this new post page? That's not necessary, or even particularly useful, particularly on this page, since there are absolutely no times on this page.

More importantly - and I've wanted this since before it was possible, so I want it really badly now - the board should be Web 2.0, Ajax, whatever you want to call it. The board should automatically refresh when there's new content, in other words. The preview below the posting screen should update if someone ninjas in ahead of you. ["Ninjas" is in Chrome's dictionary, but not "vaginas." Of the things I'd rather have more than one of...] The main screen should update as new posts come into forums; the forum screen should update as new posts come in. You shouldn't have to refresh the screen to know you have a new PM. In threads, new posts should instantly and seamlessly drop in, as it does on Facebook. Does this exist? Actually...not really. If anyone finds me Ajax forum software that isn't bullshit, I'll look into it.

To some degree, an m.bulldrek.com sort of thing - a page specifically designed for modern smartphones, without resorting to Tapatalk [which users have to pay for, and which distractingly pops up every time a non-Tapatalk user comes to the page] - would be very nice, although I find I have very little difficulty navigating the page on my Droid. Some controls are definitely inconveniently small, and I do have to do some zooming, but overall, the experience isn't infuriating. Still, it'd be nice if it were designed with this in mind.

None of this is likely to happen, mind you. I am studying programming in school, and it's not impossible that I'll bring a lot of what I learn here, but I think I'm probably short on the time and energy it would take you build my own forum software from scratch. Still, it's worth looking ahead, just so you have a direction in which to move.

Do you have any unrealistic wishlist items you'd like to see? Or even realistic ones?
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Re: Development Dream List

Post by DV8 »

3278 wrote:Do you have any unrealistic wishlist items you'd like to see? Or even realistic ones?
More, regular traffic. :)

And regarding your ambition to have this be an AJAX driven website; while I'm all for it, even a small community will most likely hammer the server to bits with requests. It's why most, if not all forum scripts have avoided doing the brunt of things through jQuery. Even if you'd keep the requests to, say, once every five seconds or so, the load the server will have to bear will be pretty steep.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

In for one.
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>