Found a bug in the chat program. Improper link handling.

Users should come to the Embassy to make all suggestions, bug reports, complaints, and anything else relating to the forum itself. The Embassy Control staff will take all issues seriously. Or kill you. One of the two. Possibly both.
Moto42
Wuffle Master

Found a bug in the chat program. Improper link handling.

Post by Moto42 »

I noticed that fake HTML tags like <Sarcasm></Sarcasm> were not showing up in the chat program. So I tossed out a link to www.purple.com.

The text I inputed was "<a href=WWW.purple.com>Testing</a>"
Output into the chat-frame was a link to "http://bulldrek.freespeech-alpha.com:20 ... purple.com"
Clicking this link opened a new room in place of the original chat frame.
Hello, I'm a signature VIRUS!
Copy me to your signature to help me grow.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

We'll have a vastly superior chat solution...uh, "soon." I actually installed - it's still installed, theoretically - a new system, but decided it was vastly too complex for our needs. I believe we'll be going with a modified version of PHP Free Chat. It's excellent, although it'll need some touching up before we can use it. My daughter's going to be away next weekend, though, so it will at least be up before next Monday. I hope.
Moto42
Wuffle Master

Post by Moto42 »

Thankyou 32.
I'll just keep trying to hack the current one.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

I hope to get the new chat system built this weekend, but my radiator was completely destroyed the day before yesterday, and I'm going to need to take the front end of my car apart, so that will likely take priority. Still, I'm planning on getting time on the dev machine after dark, when I can't really be working on the car, anyway.

It's going to take some time, because I have to uninstall the IRC-based chat that's currently installed [although you can't see it] and then install the new PHP-based chat, which is a somewhat complex affair for someone whose technical knowledge is as limited as mine. We'll see, though. I believe once we get it running, it'll be excellent.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

What is it with you and destroyed cars, man. Can't you just buy something decent one of these days!? :)
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

DV8 wrote:What is it with you and destroyed cars, man. Can't you just buy something decent one of these days!? :)
You don't have deer in your country, so I can see how you wouldn't understand. :D The car's fantastic, but the impact damage has caused a few problems.

The new chat system is [barely] running. I'll finish poking it this weekend, I'm sure.
Iantha
Bulldrekker

Post by Iantha »

"Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at bulldrek.freespeech-alpha.com:2084.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web."

Are you updating now 32?
Moto42
Wuffle Master

Post by Moto42 »

You and me both.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

me threeie.
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

No, I'm not, and nothing I did should have interfered with the beta chat. I'm looking into it.

No luck getting a new chat program running. Installed two different copies, uninstalled three, and still don't have one that will run for our purposes. Closer, though.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

I'm working with Support to fix the issue, but it took me five minutes to explain what the function I was talking about was. Apparently it's not often-used. Sorry it took me so long to get the bug report!
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Apparently it's "not often used" because it's explicitly forbidden in their terms of use. They noticed a sudden increase in traffic on that port - that would be us - and disabled it via the firewall. I'm clarifying with them exactly what they mean by "no chats," but it's possible we won't be able to have one operating via this server.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

So if I'm reading you correctly, the chat program they created isn't allowed by them?
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Iantha
Bulldrekker

Post by Iantha »

Oh, that's a bummer!
Liniah
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Liniah »

Have you tried one of those anti-deer things you can get for your car? My dad uses one and seems to think it helps.
<center><font face="monospace" color=#0099FF font size="-1">one more blue sunny day</font></center>
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Cash wrote:So if I'm reading you correctly, the chat program they created isn't allowed by them?
I think the chat-program used is something 32 found somewhere, not something his hosting company is providing.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Cash wrote:So if I'm reading you correctly, the chat program they created isn't allowed by them?
It's not quite so bad, but yeah, the chat programs [three of them] they installed with their copy of Fantastico aren't allowed by them.

We're in negotiations to find a chat program they'll allow, so we're not barred completely yet, but it'll take some time. I'm trying to convince them there won't be much traffic. ;)
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Liniah wrote:Have you tried one of those anti-deer things you can get for your car? My dad uses one and seems to think it helps.
I used to have them on a couple of my old cars, but I've never been clear on whether they actually work. My dad and I have been using them for fifteen years now, and neither of us ever hit a deer while using them, but that doesn't say much, statistically. But there's really no place to put them on the BMW that wouldn't look completely ridiculous. [You're thinking, "And crash damage doesn't?" but honestly, I like how she looks post-crash better then how she looked pre-crash. The damage is minimal, and now she has come to be like me. Before, I didn't deserve her. Now I've brought her down to my level.]

Pictures of the radiator, along with the excellent story, to follow.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Yeah, they're "looking into it." We may be able to do it if we can use a php-based solution that doesn't require weird open ports on the server, which is what I'm intending to do anyway. They'll let me know "soon."
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

The final word has come down, and that word is: "No." No kind of chat is allowed on their servers, period. I'm looking into workarounds, but the answer may simply be that we'll have to run the chat on another server, and link to it from Bulldrek. I'm not nutty about that, because it means someone else being in control ;) but it may be the only way. I'll keep you all apprised.
Iantha
Bulldrekker

Post by Iantha »

Thanks for trying 32.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Amen.
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

nice try.
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
Moto42
Wuffle Master

Post by Moto42 »

Thankyou 32.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Oh that made me think of something, Sir Module.

If there's a hosting set up out there that will allow a chat program that isn't hugely expensive, I'd be more than willing to cover the monthly cost and let you run it as you wish. I can't imagine getting hosting space for just a chat based program would be all that expensive. If you want to go that route, and dig up a place that will let us do so, let me know.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Good, thank you. I will keep that in mind. I've got a few alternative options to pursue, and having that option will be helpful. I'll keep you guys apprised.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Public hosting servers abhor chat programs because of bandwidth, very few will condone it without silly amounts of money. You're still welcome to use Blargh (www.blargh.com port 24601 or http://www.blackboxchaos.com/cgi-bin/irc.cgi) for free, its a private server that belongs to a friend, there's currently a 16 or 32 user limit on it by default, but I can get him to up that if its needed.

10:41 Kai: Ohayou minna
10:42 Adam: ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER! :)
10:44 Kai: Fuck off, how's that? ;P
10:45 Adam: Much better.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Then we basically have three choices at the moment:
Shoutbox
My fallback position, which is an element at the bottom of every page of the site, which allows users to post comments which will be reflected in every shoutbox on the site. The difference between this and other shoutboxes is that it would be an AJAX implementation, which would reload the shoutbox - and only the shoutbbox - when someone made a new comment. This would work like a chat, without being a chat.

Advantages:
  • I'm in control, which I like.
  • No extra costs.
  • Integrates well with the site, and you lose nothing when moving from page to page.
Disadvantages:
  • Might be ruled a chat by the host.
  • No private channels.
Remote Chat
Jeff rents some server space where they don't mind chats, and we run a chat from there, either embedding the chat page in the Bulldrek pages, or using a second browser instance.

Advantages:
  • Broad selection of chat packages.
  • Probably private channels, depending on the package.
Disadvantages:
  • Does not integrate smoothly with the site, meaning either a different entry page for those who want chat, or a second browser instance.
  • Complexity and server load.
Remote IRC
We use someone else's server, and either embed a CGI IRC client into the page, or use a second browser instance.

Advantages:
  • Broad selection of IRC packages.
  • Private channels, admin controls.
  • Broad selection of clients.
  • Bulldrek [the site] not required.
Disadvantages:
  • Does not integrate smoothly with the site, meaning either a different entry page for those who want chat, or a second browser instance.
  • Complexity and server load.
  • Umm...I don't like IRC?
What do we think?
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

I'd nominate option two, only because I'm not big on the shoutbox idea. But I'm pretty agreeable to anything. Do keep in mind as well, technically with option two, you'd be in defacto control as well. I'd hand off any admin access to you, since well, I'm code stupid.

:lol

Pricing would only be the real issue. I can't imagine it would be overly expensive here, and if folks would feel better about it, we can always set up a place for people to donate some if they prefer it that way. So long as we wouldn't be breaking the Benjy mark each month, I'm fine with that.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
Iantha
Bulldrekker

Post by Iantha »

I guess I don't have any preference either way as to what option we go with, really. So long as we have something that works.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

I was just wondering if there was an update on the chat situation. This immense amount of money I've been setting aside for it is just burning a hole in my pocket, Control.

:lol