And we're back.

Users should come to the Embassy to make all suggestions, bug reports, complaints, and anything else relating to the forum itself. The Embassy Control staff will take all issues seriously. Or kill you. One of the two. Possibly both.
No-Life Loser

And we're back.

Post by 3278 »

I wanted to play this off like the board had been running the entire time, and no one knew about it, but the truth is, I've been trying basically since a few months after the board went down to bring it back up. Unfortunately, I had no complete backup of the board - its software, web pages, and most importantly, its database. So for the past year or so, off and on, I've been attempting to piece copies of three databases - the broken one Kai sent me when the board closed, the broken one I made before I stopped being admin, and freespeech's database, which has the right structure, but obviously not the right data - and four or five old backups of the pages themselves, into one working copy of Bulldrek.

It works. Mostly. There was a lot of odd development during the admin handoff from myself to Kai, and many links on the alternative templates aren't correct, but the [bulldrek] template is mostly working. Smilies don't work properly on the board, for reasons which aren't entirely clear to me; they appear as text, instead, something I'll need to fix. In order to get the Stats page to work again, I had to re-run the smilies query, which crashed the freespeech server due to its massive memory requirement; only the smilies in the first 45000 posts, and any posts after now, are counted in the stats. And some arc links, deep into the non-forum portions of the site, point to directories, pages, or domains that aren't there anymore. If all else fails, though, the big-ass Bulldrek banner link should always get you back to the forum main page, from which links elsewhere will always work. The album doesn't work, because I never had a working copy of a database with that data, but WWA works, so fuck it. In essence, the features I installed, I've been able to fix; the features Kai installed I was generally not.

The board currently requires admin approval of new accounts - something I started doing on freespeech, to great effect - but other than that, runs and works just like it always did. Autologin and fast user switching work. The stats page works. And you can log in and post just as you always could, with your old usernames and passwords.

This board is live.
Big Jim
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Big Jim »

Awesome. Thank you.
And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
sinsual
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by sinsual »

thank you 3-2
www.evieshope.com
No infant should have Eye Cancer...
Paul
Tasty Human

Post by Paul »

Dude, you rock on toast.
Kick Rocks
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

*bows* Thank you, thank you. I live to serve. Or I enjoy it sometimes, anyway.
Instant Cash

Post by Instant Cash »

Just to echo my other post, well done 32, and thanks for the effort.
I want to shoot one of these Church kids and ask them "Where is your god now!"
-Big Jim
Paul
Tasty Human

Post by Paul »

I'm actively spreading the word peoples!
Kick Rocks
Instant Cash

Post by Instant Cash »

viva la revolution!
I want to shoot one of these Church kids and ask them "Where is your god now!"
-Big Jim
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

See, I shouldn't have agonized over how to tell people: I should have just told Paul, who would have taken care of it for me.
Moto42
Wuffle Master

Post by Moto42 »

3278, you are a form of awesome that has yet to be categorized by science.
Hello, I'm a signature VIRUS!
Copy me to your signature to help me grow.
Bishop
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Bishop »

Want the whole world to know something over night? Call 1-800-LETPAUL
Pax Romana, Motherfucker.
Breaker of unbreakable things.
Bishop
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Bishop »

Earl- Thank you, for the work. Nice job. Very nicely done. I love you. Can I give you babies?
Pax Romana, Motherfucker.
Breaker of unbreakable things.
TLM
Bulldrek Junkie

Post by TLM »

32, I salute you. Thank you very, very much. Ahh, the memories... Holy shit! The Life on Mars Thread's here!
Geneticists have established that all women share a common ancestor, called Eve, and that all men share a common ancestor, dubbed Adam. However, it has also been established that Adam was born 80.000 years after Eve. So, the world before him was one of heavy to industral strength lesbianism, one assumes.
-Stephen Fry, QI
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Bishop wrote:Can I give you babies?
Yeah. That's definitely what I need. I want you to drive around and find babies to give me.
Smoke
Tasty Human

Post by Smoke »

Not what I had in mind, but that'll work. How would you like them - deep fried, seared, sauteed, poached, baked, or grilled?
UncleJoseph
Wuffle Initiate

Post by UncleJoseph »

I have to admit, this was always my favorite online community...
If you take away their comforts, people are just like any other animal.
kuroshii
Tasty Human

Post by kuroshii »

"newbie" as i am to this particular board (tho i could have sworn i at least poked around on an earlier incarnation way-back-when) i can tell this was a phenomenal amount of work getting this all together/restored/etc. fantastic!

kudos, as they used to say. :)
<font color=purple>"any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -- arthur c. clarke</font>
The Wolfen
Wuffle Master

Post by The Wolfen »

32, you are a small digital god in human form. Thanks a lot for all the work this must have taken.
Wolfen.

'My advantageous mongoose masturbates with abandon over your mother's skeleton!' - Lazarus Churchyard.

"Cazmonster takes a moment out of sniping evil pengooins in the head to ponder the coolness of Wolfen on fire." - Caz
"Doesn't that hurt though? I mean I don't like it when people bite my arm pits" - LDH
Toryu
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Toryu »

Wow, awesome. This could be interesting (again). Thanks a lot, Dreizwo. You and the board definizely have my attention - for now. :)
"What is it about blogs, forums and LiveJournal that just invite stupid fights, Davan? Is acting like an ass a clause in the user agreement?"
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Toryu wrote:Wow, awesome. This could be interesting (again). Thanks a lot, Dreizwo. You and the board definizely have my attention - for now. :)
Let's all watch your job at E&Y go to hell due to low productivity at work. ;)
Toryu
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Toryu »

DV8 wrote:
Toryu wrote:Wow, awesome. This could be interesting (again). Thanks a lot, Dreizwo. You and the board definizely have my attention - for now. :)
Let's all watch your job at E&Y go to hell due to low productivity at work. ;)
Shit, you're right! Damn you, Dreizwo! This couldn't have come at a worse time! :)

Guess I should ask the IT guys to give me a non-Internet capable laptop. :)
"What is it about blogs, forums and LiveJournal that just invite stupid fights, Davan? Is acting like an ass a clause in the user agreement?"
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Yeah, I'm a little worried about that, too. I don't think anyone at corporate watches web usage here, but the instant they do, the billions of page loads per day from me might be a problem. At one company, I had more page loads in a month than any other user, by a factor of four, almost solely because of Bulldrek. I tried to explain I read quickly, but they didn't really care.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

w00t! Profile is still here.
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
JohnnyRico
Wuffle Student

Post by JohnnyRico »

I've missed this place a great deal. More than I thought I would. Bringing this place back has brought tears to my eyes. So many fond memories...

Thank you 32, you are indeed a god among men.
"I have a conundrum for you. A riddle if you will. What's the difference between you, and malard with a cold? I don't remember how it ends, but your mothers a whore." -"Sean Connery" Celebrity Jeopardy- SNL