*sniff*sniff* :(

Users should come to the Embassy to make all suggestions, bug reports, complaints, and anything else relating to the forum itself. The Embassy Control staff will take all issues seriously. Or kill you. One of the two. Possibly both.
Liniah
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

*sniff*sniff* :(

Post by Liniah »

Hey...I just went to check out the old ezboard, as I sometimes (rarely, though, these days) do and it seems to no longer be there. Did we know that it was gone? Does someone have all that old stuff saved somewhere?
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Err, seems fine to me. :/
No-Life Loser

Re: *sniff*sniff* :(

Post by 3278 »

Liniah wrote:Hey...I just went to check out the old ezboard, as I sometimes (rarely, though, these days) do and it seems to no longer be there. Did we know that it was gone?
Well, there's been some server reshuffling, so instead of pub11.ezboard.com/bbulldrek, the address is now http://p067.ezboard.com/bbulldrek.
Liniah wrote:Does someone have all that old stuff saved somewhere?
My copy - made by a really clever script Dennis wrote - was lost with my last hard disk crash. In theory, he could probably make another one; alternately, he may still have his copy.

It's been postulated but never attempted that it is possible to unify that information with the current incarnation of Bulldrek. I suspect that's a project unlikely to ever be attempted, but that's why Dennis wrote the script in the first place.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Also, this.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

My perception of the attack on ezboard is that what data is not available on the site is permanently gone. This means, as far as I can tell, that all the data on v0.2 is unrecoverable. I am working with the administrators of the ezboard site to make certain this is true in our specific case, but I would be prepared for the worst.

Which is really too bad, because there was some /great/ shit there. If Dennis by some miracle still has a copy of the backup, perhaps if there is interest we could make a useable form of the board available to people. I certainly make no promises on that account.

I am sorry I did not safeguard that data more carefully, although I'm uncertain what more I could have done. Nevertheless, you all have my apologies for this [possible, likely] loss. I also apologize for the delay in my response - still not used to scrolling down to see The Embassy - and for the contradictory nature of my earlier responses; I'm updating as I get information, and my initial information was partial. I'll attempt to make my updates as complete as possible.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

If the EZBoard site itself is recoverable data-wise, there is a EZB to phpBB conversion tool, but it required removal of several EZBoard features, like page numbers, moderator listings, custom styles, and etc, which is where the idea kind of halted last time.

10:41 Kai: Ohayou minna
10:42 Adam: ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER! :)
10:44 Kai: Fuck off, how's that? ;P
10:45 Adam: Much better.
Liniah
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Liniah »

Hrm, I see, I see, and I see. Didn't realized it had moved, but there's still no info. Tehsuq. Well, keep us posted. It would be such a shame if all that was lost forever. :cry:
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

You know what I think is worst? It means we lost Old Dogs of War. :(
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

I have just received confirmation: It is gone. It is all gone. Forever.

In a way, I think it's appropriate, an icon for the death of Bulldrek. I am saddened to lose so much of such value, but inspired to produce more to replace it. I could weep and gnash my teeth and complain that much of the best writing I've ever read or written is gone without hope of recovery, but instead I'll direct my efforts toward the future, toward new "best writing," a new community of new people with new ideas. I mourn our loss; I anticipate our gain.
Bishop
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Bishop »

We need some more Bulldrek threads. Some of that good shit.
Pax Romana, Motherfucker.
Breaker of unbreakable things.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

not necessarily true.

Apparently, Bethyaga found some old threads through archive.org
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.