Templates: [hyperminimalist] development

Users should come to the Embassy to make all suggestions, bug reports, complaints, and anything else relating to the forum itself. The Embassy Control staff will take all issues seriously. Or kill you. One of the two. Possibly both.
No-Life Loser

Templates: [hyperminimalist] development

Post by 3278 »

[hyperminimalist]
This is as much for my sake in keeping track where I am as for any kind of public purpose. Don't expect updates often, as development is extremely sporadic, and is expected to take "a really long time."

[hyperminimalist] is a new template for Bulldrek v3, one which will be strikingly different from my previous two efforts [three if you count the default theme for X]; specifically, no attempt is being made at widespread compatibility, no efforts are being made to make this theme useable for a broad spectrum of users. [bulldrek] and [stripped] needed to be used by everyone, with all sorts of different screen sizes and browsers and lighting conditions and whatnot, so the themes were tested and tweaked and altered on the basis of user trial.

There are no such concessions in [hyperminimalist]. Since everyone doesn't /have/ to use it, it can be exactly what's wanted by a small spectrum of people, who want a more focussed experience on the board. I mean, if [bulldrek] sucked, a lot of people were screwed; if [hyperminimalist] sucks, people can just use something else! That's giving me a design freedom I haven't had in a long time, which is nice. That doesn't mean I won't make changes according to user feedback, but it does mean I'll be more cautious about implementing them.

The first release of [hyperminimalist] will feature a color never before seen on the board, Bulldrek Red. While Bulldrek Blue has been the standard for a few years, there are actually three Bulldrek colors, two of which I never got around to using. If I get ambitious after I'm done with the template, I'll make themes in Bulldrek Blue and Bulldrek Green, as well.

Development so far
  • I've installed PHPTriad and the latest version of phpBB, and begun stripping index_body.tpl.
  • overall_header.tpl and overall_footer.tpl have been cleared and rewritten.
  • The first image, Eye of Horus, which will be the basis for the New Topic image and the No New Topic image, has just been completed. Well, "completed" probably isn't true, but the first version of the first image is done, so I feel pretty accomplished. ;)
Still to go
Well, jeez, everything else, I suppose. All the images, stripping viewforum and rewriting viewtopic and all the other pages, like the search page, userlist, posting screen, and so on.

I'm looking forward most to posting_body.tpl, as I've always felt it was cluttered and filled with unnecessary information, and lacked empasis on the real purpose of the screen, entering and editing information. I'll be removing the smilies interface, as well as all the buttons for bbcode; [hyperminimalist] assumes you've been using the board long enough to know how to make text bold or add the desired smilie. It will instead focus entirely on a larger and easier-to-use text input window, sized to match the eventual display on viewtopic.

That's about it for now. More as I [slowly] progress.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

What kind of colours and fonts will you be using, 32?
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

I suspect the background will be black - what else? - and the foreground initially will be Bulldrek Red, which looks just like Bulldrek Blue, except it's red. All the remaining colors will be shades of that red.

Of course, there is a possibility that the red will turn out to be unreadable. I haven't gotten far enough into the process to find out how it's going to look in text and layout, so... Shouldn't be that hard to change the color, anyway, if that proves necessary, and I'll need the practice if I want to do blue and green, as well.

On the development front, I finished the first version of Porcelain, the banner image. I have to re-do the animated version, which I did in 16 frames, which turned out to not be enough; it was a smooth animation, but far too fast. I'll be re-doing it in 8 degree increments, or 45 frames, when I get around to it. [It's kind of a pain to do.] But it looks pretty nice, I think. Next, I'll probably do Reply and New Topic buttons, and decide if I want to make a background image for the top-level tables on viewtopic and viewforum, and figure out how to make it relevant without the use of alpha-transparency, which would be against the spirit of the theme. [Not that a 45-frame animated header isn't, but I'm working on that.]
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Oh: Fonts, I have no idea.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Monday, I started building viewforum and rebuilding viewtopic. The more I think about it, the more I want to completely rewrite viewtopic, too, if for no other reason than the novelty of not having used any element of subSilver to build the template. Not sure I'm dedicated enough for that. We'll see.

index_body is done. The whole front page will fit on one 1024x768 [minus toolbars top and taskbar below] screen. With room to spare, I think. I won't know for certain until I can get the template on the development server, or until I take the time to type in all the forum descriptions on my own local server. Opposed die roll, my Ambition against my Motivation, target number of four.

Still need to redo Porcelain, but I do have a properly sized mock-up of the 16 frame version which works just fine for now. Also need to redo the background image, and decide where, exactly, in the table hierarchy, that image should be used. I'm down to establishing a table cellspacing standard, which I think will be 4 pixels, for ease of math and because it looks good, and the background image can serve as a ruler during development for table layout troubleshooting.

Mowed the lawn today, so I didn't get anything done. Probably won't get /anything/ done again until next Monday, unless it's four in the morning and I'm /really/ inspired. [Inspiration versus Warm Bed, target number of four.]
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

3278 wrote:Oh: Fonts, I have no idea.
Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm feeling very limited, since the basic font family has to be one which everyone will have; I'll likely specify different fonts for Mac users, but in both cases, I really have to use a system font, and I feel as though I've used all the good ones already.

So, does anyone have suggestions for fonts? They'd have to be commonly available, simple in design, easily readable at any size and resolution, and look attractive.

If we can't find something superior, I'm sure I'll just spec Tahoma/Verdana as I usually do. There are versions of the Gill, Eras, and Lucida families which I think might be functional and attractive, as well, but I'd have to use them on-screen before I really had an idea of how they'd work, and I'm not on the development machine at the moment. Something else to work on, anyway. And bring on the suggestions, please!
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

I'm very pro-Verdana. Not so much pro-Tahoma.
Adam
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Adam »

3278 wrote:
3278 wrote:Oh: Fonts, I have no idea.
Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm feeling very limited, since the basic font family has to be one which everyone will have; I'll likely specify different fonts for Mac users, but in both cases, I really have to use a system font, and I feel as though I've used all the good ones already.
OSX ships with Verdana.
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

I assume I'm the only one who thinks a fixed-width font would fit well with an ultra-minimalist design. (Actually, I assume I'm the only one who likes fixed-width fonts. Regardless.)
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Actually, I thought about it, because you're right: it does fit the concept admirably. Unfortunately, most of the fixed-width fonts are pretty ugly. [And many are serif, which doesn't work onscreen particularly well.] Can you think of any not-ugly fixed-width fonts I could try?
Salvation122

Post by Salvation122 »

3278 wrote:Actually, I thought about it, because you're right: it does fit the concept admirably. Unfortunately, most of the fixed-width fonts are pretty ugly. [And many are serif, which doesn't work onscreen particularly well.] Can you think of any not-ugly fixed-width fonts I could try?
Well, Consolas, Longhorn's new fixed-width replacement for Courier, looks pretty nice, but it's shipping with Longhorn. So no.
Salvation122

Post by Salvation122 »

Actually, Lucida Console isn't bad. Not great, but far better than Courier and its derivatives.

Edit: Also, Andale Mono, availible here, is pretty nice. (Sample.)
Last edited by Salvation122 on Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Does everyone have these fonts?
Salvation122

Post by Salvation122 »

Lucida Console ships with all versions of Windows back to 95c, I believe, and also with OSX. Andale Mono I'm not so sure on, but it's publicly availible.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Also keep in mind that its a choice to use the template, you're well within your rights to say 'if you want to use this templates, go get this font' if you have one you really like. :)

10:41 Kai: Ohayou minna
10:42 Adam: ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER! :)
10:44 Kai: Fuck off, how's that? ;P
10:45 Adam: Much better.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

My current plan is to spec Andale Mono, with Lucida Console as a backup for those who don't have Andale Mono. I don't know how it'll look yet, since the stylesheet isn't using it now, but I intend to find out, and make a decision on that basis. I, being a control freak, really like fixed-width fonts, but also being a design freak, don't like them to make things ugly. Andale Mono is actually quite fetching, and I'm rather fond of the whole Lucida family, which should make this more feasible.

Good call, Sal. I appreciate it.
Patience
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Patience »

3278 wrote:My current plan is to spec Andale Mono, with Lucida Console as a backup for those who don't have Andale Mono. I don't know how it'll look yet, since the stylesheet isn't using it now, but I intend to find out, and make a decision on that basis. I, being a control freak, really like fixed-width fonts, but also being a design freak, don't like them to make things ugly. Andale Mono is actually quite fetching, and I'm rather fond of the whole Lucida family, which should make this more feasible.

Good call, Sal. I appreciate it.
I know I'm coming into the party late, but I wanted to say thanks for directing me to Andale Mono. I grabbed it purely for my own use and have been enjoying it almost as much as Verdana. :)
_
<b>Thorn said:</b> Patience really does rock!!
<b>CykoSpin said:</b> Every time I see Patience (that is, a post by Patience), I think of the Iron Maiden song "Can I Play With Madness". I don't really know why, though; for whatever reason, I just do.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

How is this coming along? I was wondering since, well, I've been totally not lifting one finger to recreate the old bulldrek template and at least one of us has to do something about the appaling templates currently available.