Known Issues

Users should come to the Embassy to make all suggestions, bug reports, complaints, and anything else relating to the forum itself. The Embassy Control staff will take all issues seriously. Or kill you. One of the two. Possibly both.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Known Issues

Post by Kai »

Just FYIs

Can't register
Winternight template is unreadable in Opera
/users directories need to be restored, replicated, or otherwise made accessible

Fix after post forward
Add in new smilies, replace ones we have

Fix topic_review on Winternight template
Last edited by Kai on Tue May 31, 2005 2:51 pm, edited 6 times in total.

10:41 Kai: Ohayou minna
10:42 Adam: ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER! :)
10:44 Kai: Fuck off, how's that? ;P
10:45 Adam: Much better.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Everyone's avatars are missing, obviously. If the whole board was backed up, you could just copy the contents of the old directory over.

_ isn't allowed HTML, so most people's sigs look goofy. [Most people's sigs look goofy anyway, because a lot of other stuff is different, but that's just something we'll all have to mess with ourselves.]

The new avatar size isn't implemented. This is true of a whole load of stuff - after-post forwarding, for instance - but this is one that, unlike after-post forwarding, isn't a mod, but just a setting in the admin control panel. There are likely dozens of little settings in the admin control panel that're wonky.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Noted to be fixed

Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Are we bringing back the old board style at all?
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

With the strictures in place regarding modifications to the board, it would be impossible to completely reproduce the [bulldrek] or [stripped] templates. The [bulldrek] template could be approximated simply by duplicating the colors and the header; likely, that would be enough for most users. The [stripped] template could very approximately be reproduced simply by removing images from the header, but much of its functionality requires massive code changes of the sort that I think no one - myself included - feels is reasonable without a full-time admin.

I would like to see some new templates, and I'm sure we'll get some. I'm using subSilver right now, and it's beautiful but generic, and I don't really like the Winternight theme very much, no discredit to Kai's efforts in that regard. Unfortunately, I'm way too swamped to try building templates myself, and I think most other people are, as well.

I sure wouldn't mind having the bulldrek smilies back, though, if nothing else. :)
Szechuan
No-Life Loser

Post by Szechuan »

I don't know much about template editing, but I do know that I have always hated how most phpBB boards - BD and Dumpshock included - handle 'new posts' indicators on threads.

I would be ever so willing to work on getting these back to the simple way in which the old bulldrek template handled it - 'n' for new posts, no 'popular thread' bullshit.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Deev's already been working on the bulldrek template, so that will be ready soon look wise.

And as is? Yeah, the Winternight template sucks :) Its needs at least a couple of days of work to be anything resembling useful.

No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Szechuan wrote:I would be ever so willing to work on getting these back to the simple way in which the old bulldrek template handled it - 'n' for new posts, no 'popular thread' bullshit.
That's easy. I made the "No New Threads" image a single black pixel, and made the "popular thread" image exactly the same as the "unpopular thread" image.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

I just set the popular threshold ridiculously high :) BD template will work that that though, I have no desire to muck with subSilver and from a point of view of the end product of Winternight, it does use new posts/no new post images. Sorry :)

EDIT - Or will when I figure out why the new admin authentication system doesn't like me :roll:

No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

I'm tentatively considering spending a little time making an ultraminimalist interface for those interested in such a thing; without the responsibility of making a production, default template that everyone's going to have to use, a lot of options open up for weird templates that people can use if they want to, and without code changes, there's less concern about upgrades mucking things up.

I'd suggest we start a theme development thread, so people who are working on, considering working on, or are interested in new themes can discuss them without messing up the Known Issues thread, which isn't meant for it. ;)
Anguirel
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Anguirel »

Is it just my machine, or is "Topic Review" (the frame below the Post form) broken. I see smileys and between-post-lines, but no text. I can't even highlight the text to make it show (though I can copy/paste it out of there, so it does exist -- just doesn't want to show).

Browsing in Firefox 1.0.3 and I haven't touched anything in terms of my profile and such since well before the board-issues, so I'm using whatever the standard default systems are.
complete. dirty. whore.
_Patience said: Ang, you are truly a font of varied and useful information.
IRC Fun:
<Reika> What a glorious way to die.
<Jackal> What are you, Klingon?
<Reika> Worse, a paladin.
<Jackal> We're all fucked.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Szechuan wrote:I don't know much about template editing, but I do know that I have always hated how most phpBB boards - BD and Dumpshock included - handle 'new posts' indicators on threads.
Irrelevant, but Dumpshock doesn't run phpBB.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Ang: Switch to subSilver, topic review in the Winternight template doesn't work

Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

Kai wrote:I just set the popular threshold ridiculously high :) BD template will work that that though, I have no desire to muck with subSilver and from a point of view of the end product of Winternight, it does use new posts/no new post images. Sorry :)
You can just set the popular threshold to -1 and never worry about it again.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Huh, have to check that, thought they fixed setting negative values in the admin panel. Currently its at 9999 anyways :)

Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Most avatars restored, some have apparently vanished. Sorry :/

Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Some replacement of smilies that had equivalents, some have to be added to the array and there are some ones we don't have equivalents for either

No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

What's the status of the /users directories? No rush, just checking.

Is there a backup of the old board itself, i.e. the root directory that had the phpbb install in it? I don't want to refer to the original [bulldrek] or[stripped] templates when developing new templates - clean slate and all that - but there is some code in there that could be useful to me. Again, no rush, just checking.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Kai wrote:Some replacement of smilies that had equivalents, some have to be added to the array and there are some ones we don't have equivalents for either
Yay! Thanks for that. Tough choice on what to do with the smilies, though; I guess I'd just replicate the whole old list of them, which should be in the old database. That'd be simplest, I suspect; less trouble than trying to remember what the code was for the "fucking smilies." :D
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Its just an array I have to add to and all. Kywn kindly sent me blues of the ones we didn't have as well, so we should be back to (mostly) normal on that front.

There is a tarball of the original stuff, if you'd like I can extract out the template folders for those and rezip them for you.

/users directories, still haven't sat down and figured out how/if I can do subusers, but soon I promise :)

No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Kai wrote:There is a tarball of the original stuff, if you'd like I can extract out the template folders for those and rezip them for you.
Does the tarball include the whole content of the server, like, the db and your Winternight stuff and everything? 'Cause if it's just the whole Bulldrek site, how big is that? It shouldn't be all that big, I wouldn't think, and then I'd have all the everything, which should certainly be all I need.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Oh, no, its the old site, 2.0.6 code and all

No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Ah, excellent. And how big is that?
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

I'll have to check on that actually, forgot to last night.

No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

3278 wrote:The new avatar size isn't implemented.
I tried to fix this myself - I figure people probably trust me to do little admin things - but it would appear Control no longer has any access rights.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Oops, no, it doesn't since the account was hacked. Avatars should be set to 10Megs and 100x100 though. Isn't that what we agreed on?

Anguirel

Post by Anguirel »

Kai wrote:Oops, no, it doesn't since the account was hacked. Avatars should be set to 10Megs and 100x100 though. Isn't that what we agreed on?
10 Megs? :shock: Uh... isn't that a bit much?
complete. dirty. whore.
IRC Fun:
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Well, /I/ think 10mb is fine, but I'm into full-motion video avatars, so... :D It's actually 20k, 100x100.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Note to self, don't post technical info when really tired. 10k not 10Megs :lol:

But it's now set to 20k :)

Salvation122

Post by Salvation122 »

Over the past week and a half or so, Bulldrek has seemed slow to me. Like, really slow - time outs are not uncommon, and other sites generally load just fine.

I'm on XP/SP2, Firefox 1.0.4.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Same here.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Still happening or was it temporary?

Bishop

Post by Bishop »

It happens to me occasionally, as well. And still happening.
Pax Romana, Motherfucker.
Breaker of unbreakable things.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Still happens. It's much like before, when it was so bad in the mornings.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Huh, very odd, this server works entirely differently. Haven't seen it occur at any point from work or hom, but I'll try turning on compression and see if it helps you guys out.

JohnnyRico
Wuffle Student

Post by JohnnyRico »

I use IE at home and a combination of IE and Firefox at work. I've noticed recently that Firefox (v1.04 I believe is what we have installed on the job) has been dragging it's feet in comparison, and not just on Bulldrek.

Any chance that there are internal Browser problems with Firefox that are manifesting themselves when the site is viewed?
"I have a conundrum for you. A riddle if you will. What's the difference between you, and malard with a cold? I don't remember how it ends, but your mothers a whore." -"Sean Connery" Celebrity Jeopardy- SNL
Adam

Post by Adam »

I've noticed no speed issues in Safari.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Kai wrote:Huh, very odd, this server works entirely differently. Haven't seen it occur at any point from work or hom, but I'll try turning on compression and see if it helps you guys out.
That's made a pretty significant difference in the past, but as you know, that can vary from server to server and setup to setup. Still, it's probably our best option. It /does/ make things a little more complicated, particularly if you don't just use the gzip compression, but actually use template caching, as well. [Or was that deprecated out? I seem to recall it's no longer necessary, but it's been a while since I was "keeping up" with all the changes in the point-releases of phpBB.]
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Well turned on gzip compression, hopefully that fixes things. And yeah template caching was depreciated IIRC, but I never got into the details of board tuning too much so not entirely sure.

Salvation122

Post by Salvation122 »

Is there any reason why we couldn't enable div, span, href, and the text-formatting HTML tags? Their exclusion breaks a great many legacy threads and would allow people to center sigs and whatnot again.
Salvation122

Post by Salvation122 »

Also, either disabling the sig-limiter or increasing its size would be appreciated.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Mostly becasue they're HTML :) I know people don't like bbCode as much, but the reason it exists is to provide security and prevent exploits. If there's some feature you simply must have I'll see about finding a bbcode wrapper for it that works in all browsers though.

I'll check what the sig limitation is set to as well.

Salvation122

Post by Salvation122 »

Uh, what possible exploits could be executed through text-formatting code and href?

I don't have much of an issue with bbCode; I've always used it, as my grasp of HTML was (and, really, still is) very very weak when I started posting on forums regularly. My problem is that old threads were often formatted using HTML that's now unparsed, and it makes everything all fugly.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

I agree. Turning on <javascript> and <iframe> tags is obviously quite dangerous, although even those were not the source of the previous exploits. But there's no danger whatsoever in turning on [i] and <b> and <center> and so on.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

bold, italic, and underline were already on, I added center. Upped the signature limit to 500.

No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Sal, do you know which other tags the lack of which was causing difficulties? I don't know which threads are experiencing difficulties, so it's hard for me to guess. Hmm, <font> would be a problem, I'd expect. That gets used in sigs a lot, too. Anything else you can think of?
Salvation122

Post by Salvation122 »

<a href>, which is used in approximately every thread you ever posted in, ever.
Anguirel

Post by Anguirel »

Salvation122 wrote:<a href>, which is used in approximately every thread you ever posted in, ever.
Could we send a Perl script through the database to convert most instances of "<a href" to "[url"?
complete. dirty. whore.
IRC Fun: