Increasing Avatar Size

Users should come to the Embassy to make all suggestions, bug reports, complaints, and anything else relating to the forum itself. The Embassy Control staff will take all issues seriously. Or kill you. One of the two. Possibly both.

Should the avatar size be increased to 100x100, 20k total?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:00 am

Yes.
84%
No.
16%

Total votes: 19
No-Life Loser

Increasing Avatar Size

Post by 3278 »

As per <a href="http://www.bulldrek.com/viewtopic.php?t=7058">this thread</a>, I would like to formally request a vote on the issue of increasing avatar sizes to 100x100 in dimension, 20k in total filesize.

As is standard, voting will be allowed for seven days, and at poll end, the majority decision will be final and implemented with all possible alacrity.
Nexusvoid
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Nexusvoid »

Yes, as most of the board is on broadband or using the stripped template. And I want to see a bigger, updated version of Ape Sex!
_
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I am down for whatever! So I voted yeah baby!
JohnnyRico
Wuffle Student

Post by JohnnyRico »

I agree. As stated originally by Kai, 100x100 won't screw up the tables, so the actual change in the layout will be only the different avatar sizes, and while I'm biased due to my broadband connection, I doubt that we'll have too much in the way of problems with raising the file size limit to 20k. Most of us won't use it all, so it shouldn't cause a problem, right?.
"I have a conundrum for you. A riddle if you will. What's the difference between you, and malard with a cold? I don't remember how it ends, but your mothers a whore." -"Sean Connery" Celebrity Jeopardy- SNL
Reika
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Reika »

Think I made myself clear in the previous thread, but just to re-emphasize, I wouldn't mind a larger avatar. :)
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a bigger filesize limit, but that's because my desires are irrational. For instance, I desire this avatar, which I made for underworld last night:

But I think 20k is more rational. Rational is good.
Reika
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Reika »

Yeah, I prefer rational. The thought of that avatar combined with Teja's and Caz's make me cringe.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

3278 wrote:Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a bigger filesize limit, but that's because my desires are irrational. For instance, I desire this avatar, which I made for underworld last night:

But I think 20k is more rational. Rational is good.
That's really very nicely done, 32. Isn't that from a videoclip?
Bishop
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Bishop »

How the hell do you guys do that?
Pax Romana, Motherfucker.
Breaker of unbreakable things.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

DV8 wrote:That's really very nicely done, 32. Isn't that from a videoclip?
Thank you. Of course; it's from the best video clip of all: <i>Star Guitar.[/i]
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Bishop wrote:How the hell do you guys do that?
What do you mean?
Bishop

Post by Bishop »

Well, the moving avatar. Avatars in general. It took me well over an hour to do mine, and it's only 4 words. Of course, I think I used Windows Paint, lol, but I'm not very familiar with programs that handle that sort of material.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Adobe ImageReady [which comes with all recent versions of Photoshop, where by "recent," I mean, "released in the last 8 or so years"] is probably the most powerful user-friendly tool for creating animated .gifs. There are easier tools, but they're generally, in my experience, crap. [Someone else might have better advice; I've been using Photoshop so long that I have an innate bias against other applications.]

For mine, I used ImageReady, Sony Vegas, Adobe Premiere, and Virtualdub. I do most of my animated .gifs in non-linear video editing applications now, because they're all little movies, as opposed to, say, the animated smilies on the board, which are just graphics at heart, if you catch my drift.

My next avatar project I'm going to do entirely at home - no footage from someone else - with Premiere and ImageReady. I think it'll be sweet, but I have no way of knowing. ;)
Bishop

Post by Bishop »

So what you're saying is I got lots of practice before I can even begin to make something that looks not horrible, maybe even halfway decent, huh?
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Well, it certainly helps. It's not impossible to just dick around and get some good results, though. And, of course, short of actually learning a thing, dicking around is the only way to learn how. I learned ImageReady in a couple of hours, and while I'm sure there's tons of shit I can't do with it, I can do enough to make...well, anything you see on the board, for instance. It's not rocket science...and even that isn't very hard, once you get the hang of it. You could be a rocket scientist with one brain tied behind your back.
Bishop

Post by Bishop »

Was that last comment a compliment to me, or a comment in general about the ease of rocket science?
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

I wouldn't use the word "compliment." It was an accurate - if figurative - assessment of your capabilities. But it would be highly uncharacteristic of me to compliment someone.
Bishop

Post by Bishop »

Thanks, 3PO.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Paint Shop Pro often includes Animation Shop as well, which is a very compact program for generating banner ads and animated gifs. In its simplest form you can take two images as end frames and use a transition effect to get from one to the other. If you're feeling like spending some time, you can actually do frame range capture out of .avi files, just don't try to open the whole thing ;) I am not sure however if Animation Shop was ever packaged independantly of Paint Shop Pro.

10:41 Kai: Ohayou minna
10:42 Adam: ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER! :)
10:44 Kai: Fuck off, how's that? ;P
10:45 Adam: Much better.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

It's done.