A suggestion

Users should come to the Embassy to make all suggestions, bug reports, complaints, and anything else relating to the forum itself. The Embassy Control staff will take all issues seriously. Or kill you. One of the two. Possibly both.
Reika
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

A suggestion

Post by Reika »

I don't know how hard this would be, but would it be possible to set things up so that if you click on a thread that has new posts since you last visited, it would go straight to the first of the new posts? It's something they have setup on the CoH forums, and I think that's a very cool feature.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

On the "View Forum" page, like in SST or whichever forum you're in, the little page icon to the right of the poster's name in the Last Post column should serve that function. [If you hover over it, the alt text is "View latest post."] Don't click on the name, though! That'll just take you to the user's profile.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

No, strike that. Duh. That takes you to the latest post!

The little page icon that leads you to the first unread post is to the left of the thread name, and to the right of the "new post" icon. Its alt text is "View newest post," which is pretty misleading. :)
Reika

Post by Reika »

Ah, thank you. But what I had in mind is just clicking on the thread name, this way no need to go hunting for misleading little icons. ;)
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

You probably could, but I at least would find that horribly annoying as a default behavior. Maybe we could move and/or relabel the link, like after any page number links so its obvious?

10:41 Kai: Ohayou minna
10:42 Adam: ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER! :)
10:44 Kai: Fuck off, how's that? ;P
10:45 Adam: Much better.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

3278 wrote:No, strike that. Duh. That takes you to the latest post!
Are you sure? I think it takes you to the first new post, but by using anchors it scrolls the post all the way to the top of the page.
Reika

Post by Reika »

I guess I'm not explaining myself well or something. And it would be yet another option in people's profiles. ;)

The little link thingy 32 talked about seems to go directly to the newest post in the thread. What I wanted was something that was the first of the new posts since you last visited the forum, not the very last new post. It's a feature I like, but of course I could be the only one. :)
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

DV8 wrote:
3278 wrote:No, strike that. Duh. That takes you to the latest post!
Are you sure? I think it takes you to the first new post, but by using anchors it scrolls the post all the way to the top of the page.
I think - I /think/ - the link on the left takes you to the latest unread post in a thread. The link on the right takes you to the /last/ post in a thread. Am I right?
Anguirel

Post by Anguirel »

The little page to the left of the topic name takes you to the post with a posted date which is just after your last visit to the site according to your site cookie. That's the best we manage presently. some phpBB fora have more elaborate cookies which track eevry single topic separately and allow you to read some topics, do somethign else, and come back to read the rest using the same system without losing the "first unread post" marker for that topic. This also works every time as opposed to taking you to, say, the message which it took you to the last time, even though you read fifty posts last time and would like to see the fifty-first, which was posted while you were reading other threads.

The downside to this system is your site cookie will grow pretty rapidly unless you clear it using the "Mark all posts read" link. Of course, there's really almost no reason to use that link right now on the BD board, so... might be worth looking into.
complete. dirty. whore.
_Patience said: Ang, you are truly a font of varied and useful information.
IRC Fun:
<Reika> What a glorious way to die.
<Jackal> What are you, Klingon?
<Reika> Worse, a paladin.
<Jackal> We're all fucked.
Reika

Post by Reika »

It does work, however trying to find and click on a little icon can be really annoying. At least to me.
I am poison
Tasty Human

Post by I am poison »

Reika wrote:It does work, however trying to find and click on a little icon can be really annoying. At least to me.
I tend to agree that this Image image is almost too small for obvious use. I wonder if using this Image image as well to fulfill the same function would alleviate this issue, or at least some of it.
Reika

Post by Reika »

I love that idea, poison. Using the N icon would make it so much easier! :)
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

That's certainly quite possible, and, as I recall, fairly simple. [Although my recollection is based on the fact that I tried to do this once before, which makes me wonder why I didn't.] A simple vote would easily decide the issue.