Keyboard Shortcuts

Users should come to the Embassy to make all suggestions, bug reports, complaints, and anything else relating to the forum itself. The Embassy Control staff will take all issues seriously. Or kill you. One of the two. Possibly both.
No-Life Loser

Keyboard Shortcuts

Post by 3278 »

Does anyone else use them? I ask because it occurred to me recently that the [fairly common] Nvidia nView desktop manager uses the same [ALT + `] keybinding that the "return to homepage" shortcut on v1.0 uses. If no one else notices [or cares] then that's wonderful; if it's annoying anyone, though, it's a fairly simple matter to reassign the shortcut.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I never use them. I can never remember them. I suck a lot of donkey dick.
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

I only use them for Copy, Paste and Force Quit. Of course, that's on this iMac that I'm getting rid of this weekend. WooHoo!
To the entire world, you may be one single person, but to one person, you may be the entire world.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

I only use ALT+S and ALT+W, and I use them fairly often.
Nexusvoid
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Nexusvoid »

[mb][/mb]
_
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

I think you guys are all whack for not using them more, but it's good to know I'm the only one effected by the double-assignment of the [Alt + `] combination. Thanks!
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

affected! twitch

I did once, but with my penchant for having a billion windows open, there where too many times one of the shortcuts did something completely strange in some other application that completely messed up what I was doing, so I went back to just clicking on things

10:41 Kai: Ohayou minna
10:42 Adam: ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER! :)
10:44 Kai: Fuck off, how's that? ;P
10:45 Adam: Much better.
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

I used 'em, but I've been using Firefox for the last week or so, where they no longer function. (This site is the sole reason I'm considering going back to IE - there's so much stuff here that just doesn't work in Gecko-engine browsers.)
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Yeah, Bulldrek uses a lot IE only bits. Don't ask me, it was like that before I ever looked at it.

Adam
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Adam »

Salvation122 wrote:I used 'em, but I've been using Firefox for the last week or so, where they no longer function. (This site is the sole reason I'm considering going back to IE - there's so much stuff here that just doesn't work in Gecko-engine browsers.)
It would be much better if we could figure out if we /could/ make it work in Gecko-engine browsers. And KHTML-engine browsers... ;-)

So, the question is: Are the current functions IE-only because they were coded that way, or because only IE allows those functions to happen?
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

At the time I wrote them, the latter. It is entirely possible that there is now a means to use keyboard shortcuts in other browsers; someone with Firefox or whatever might want to see how well they work in gmail, for instance. [Works fine on IE!] I would think it by no means impossible that a javascript could be written to handle the shortcuts on nearly any browser.

The site is also coded to IE for another couple of reasons. One, Internet Explorer's browser penetration is 80 - 90 percent. Two, I use [and prefer] IE. Maybe the second one wasn't the /best/ reason, but hey, at least I made the whole site work with the Macintosh. [I like Macs; I don't like Netscape. Sue me.]
Kai wrote:Yeah, Bulldrek uses a lot IE only bits. Don't ask me, it was like that before I ever looked at it.
Not very many, actually, and all were tested and announced as being as such before they were deployed. The site used to be tested on IE and Netscape on both PC and Mac [as well as some other odd platforms like WebTV and JP's telephone], and all main functionality was verified to work properly on all platforms before release. Unlike, say, the photo album. I know you didn't mean to be insulting, but a great deal of work - 20+ hours a week - used to go into coding and testing the site on all browsers, including some used only [at the time] by two people. [Caz. Barb.] So it has very little to do with how things might have been "before [you] ever looked at it."

You'll pardon me, but I'll take a lot of crap for my former administration of the site, but I won't take any undeserved crap from you, who has not so much administered the site as slept near it and sometimes "upgraded" it until it didn't work at all.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Geez, bitter much? :) All I said way that it uses a lot of IE only bits. Fading links, keyboard shortcuts, certain style and graphics content, IIRC text align. And it was there before I looked at it. i.e., no I don't know how it works.

If you feel like being persecuted, more power to you all and, but I'm having a hard time cramming all the stuff you apparently read in between those lines :7 You tested it, it was approved, you put in 20+ hours, great! You want to continue to test things or whatever, great!

And there's a difference between admining and owning. I don't own shit. I admin things. Yeah some stuff has fallen behind. Along with a lot of people from the boards, life interferes. My wedding takes precedence over Bulldrek. And what things I have done, like the photo album, are things the community wants and[/] don't rely on me to function. That photo album mod was specifically chosen because it could be put in the hands of someone who wants to help, like Toon, and be esy enough that running it didin't require knowing the underlying code. It may not be perfect, but you know, its there, it was reouested, and doesn't require me to work.

I think its a good thing I don't admin much. If I fall off the face of the earth tomorrow, there should never, ever be anything here that requires my prescence to function. Its not my board so it damn well better not depend on me to exist. Maybe its just a difference of opinion but I view my responsibility as an admin as being available when something isn't working and leaving it the fuck alone when everyone is fine with how things are.

But, I think I've been through this conversation before, and frankly I've gotten tired of dealing with the one way antagonism (is that even a word? oh well). If you want to think I'm some great vile person out to get you with veiled insults and backhanded compliments, knock yourself out.

No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Kai wrote:And there's a difference between admining and owning. I don't own shit. I admin things. Yeah some stuff has fallen behind.
Let's be honest. Everything has fallen behind. We have bugs from a year ago. I quit because my personal life [okay, okay, my crazy] got in the way of me doing things. If I'm snippy, it's because I was replaced by someone who gets almost as little done as I did when I was the worst administrator on the planet. [And I was.] That doesn't mean I think you suck, or should quit. I think you're the best administrator we have, and you've done a lot - like hosting us, running donations, and putting in the [admittedly buggy] photo album - for the board and for the community. But:
Kai wrote:Maybe its just a difference of opinion but I view my responsibility as an admin as being available when something isn't working and leaving it the fuck alone when everyone is fine with how things are.
That is the difference of opinion. I believe administration should be both active and reactive. If there's a bug, the admin fixes it ASAP. If there's a new feature people want, the admin installs it. If there's anything that can be made better, the admin makes it so.

You don't have time [or want to make the time] to do that. I don't want to make the time to do that. No one else wants to make the time to do that. So you're not only the best administrator we have, but the best administrator we could have.

I still think it sucks, and I'm hopefully never not going to. Absentee administrators don't help much. I know I didn't. Perhaps my resentment is as much directed at my previous poor administration as yours. I would like to think that someday, I would have the wont to become a good administrator again - if that is, in fact, what I once was.
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

3278 wrote:We have bugs from a year ago.
Other than the margin issue, which I just posted like a week ago, I don't see any unresolved bugs posted in Embassy besides the problems with using bulldrek.com as an outgoing mailserver. There are a couple of features that were talked about and loosely agreed on that haven't been implemented (file uploading, for example) and grand projects that never really got off the ground (Lexicon), but I certainly don't see anything impairing anyone's ability to use the board.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

There are several. Don't ask me what they are; despite knowing just, like, two hours ago, my sieve-like brain has filtered them right back out. If I think of them - and I will...someday - I'll try to remember to post them to your super-useful bugs thread, which I was looking for just, like, two days ago, and couldn't find because I'm just really really stupid.

[edit]But you are correct; none of the bugs I took note of impair our ability to use the board.[/edit]
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

3278 wrote:It is entirely possible that there is now a means to use keyboard shortcuts in other browsers; someone with Firefox or whatever might want to see how well they work in gmail, for instance.
Big duh. YABB - for instance, Animalball - has keyboard shortcuts that work in IE and NS6.