Current Bug and Development List

Users should come to the Embassy to make all suggestions, bug reports, complaints, and anything else relating to the forum itself. The Embassy Control staff will take all issues seriously. Or kill you. One of the two. Possibly both.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

We originally had completely disabled registration on Bulldrek because of the volumes of spam registration. It was absurd. I'm hoping to make it so that only genuine humans get through to the part where I have to approve them, but the installation I just made doesn't work, and wrecked the board, and I was overconfident and didn't make a backup first, necessitating a huge amount of bullshit work. Sigh.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Yep, that's fucked it. Nothing like a mod that breaks your fucking board. Now I'm going to need to pull tons of shit out of the database, pull tons of stuff out of PHP files, and in fact will need to rewrite sections of various pages because instead of commenting lines out, I just replaced them. Stupid. Bad, bad, bad administration. Should have made a backup, and then just restored, but now I have another couple hours of work ahead of me.

Wish this fucking thing just worked. This is the problem with a board this heavily modded [and modded by an amateur, at that] and built out of pieces of several different phpBB versions. I mean, what do you mean, "Call to a member function sql_query() on a non-object...?"

My dream, of course, would be to blow everything custom out of the database and import it over a pristine copy of phpBB, and start over from scratch, but I think the return on investment probably wouldn't be high. ;)
Iantha
Bulldrekker

Post by Iantha »

3278 wrote:Of course, I'd rather just use Freespeech, but this is where everyones' testes are. Hearts, I mean.
And ovaries, Bitch! Let's not be sexist now...

;-)
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

To Do
Copy and revise [stripped] into [...].
Write primer on keyboard shortcuts and templates.
Rework posting.php. In secret.
--> Fix New Topic poll option boxes
--> Fix "Notify me" width on narrow screens.
Make sure to post everything you do in public so everyone will know how much work you do and be real impressed with you.
Change header position to fixed on [inverted]
Maybe figure out why transitions don't work on [inverted].

Done
[Fixed] Pull Chat login from the header on [stripped].
[Fixed] Remove [extract]; it will be replaced if necessary, but it currently doesn't work, anyway.
[Fixed] Remove SubSilver as an option. How did that happen?
[Fixed] Fix main "cow" link on [inverted].
[Fixed] Extend stylesheets to admin pages on all templates. [This problem has existed since literally Day One.]
[Fixed] Change footer position to fixed on [bulldrek].
[Fixed] Change footer position to fixed on [inverted].
[Fixed] Change header and footer position to fixed on [stripped].
[Fixed] Speed up the post-posting process.
[Fixed] Change header position to fixed on [bulldrek].
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Sorry for anyone who was trying to, you know, use the board while I was doing that. You guys must live my "live development, no backups" style.
Bishop
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Bishop »

Ha-ha. Try doing that to a live database for a web-server, being used by oh 65-70 people. And put the wrong value in a field. My phone blew up.
Pax Romana, Motherfucker.
Breaker of unbreakable things.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Test.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Test.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

test
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

And again.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Going to try pulling the fade.js script that makes text links fade from blue to white slowly, on the main and [inverted] themes. [stripped] will stay as-is: if "lightweight, no-frills" is the name of the game, may as well leave it abrupt.

I'll be replacing the fade.js with the CSS that's designed to do that these days, and try to degrade it gracefully for browsers that don't support transitions. The point being, if anything looks funky, particularly links, let me know, and I'll make sure I didn't break something.

[edit: All done. Seems fine. Just saved a you all a few ms of page load time! ;) ]
Bishop

Post by Bishop »

Yay. That was killing me, man. When you measure your life in ms, a couple saved here and there really add up.

:D
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

:D
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Pretty major font overhaul, with the intent of modernizing font selection and increasing sizes of certain elements for mobile and high-definition screens. We'll see whether a user revolt is the result.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

I could work on this site for another decade and never approach the sublime wonder that is freespeech-alpha's porcelain theme.
Bishop

Post by Bishop »

Yeah, whoa. I thought my eyes might be playing tricks on me when I first logged on.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Started work on a few modernizations. Not all pages are complete. Um, posting, for example, is pretty spectacularly wrong, for a reason that's not immediately clear to me. So put that on the list.
Bishop

Post by Bishop »

Your margins are a little off. Everything is big. Like all the option fonts "Disable HTML in this post" for example, and the rest under it, look like about 20 pt. font.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Basically, when we're all done, everything should be the new, larger, size, but should automatically scale to your screen. The current layout is all fixed widths, and everything's controlled to the pixel, because I didn't know what I was doing and I was a control freak. [It's literally the name of the admin. :wideeyes ] So now it's line-by-line fixing all the fixed widths to proportionates, and adjusting the layout to use them. Right now...everything looks a little bit whack. :D
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

It would help if I could just focus on one page at a time, but I keep seeing one thing here, and fixing that, and then another thing here, and fixing that... Still, making progress.