Current Bug and Development List

Users should come to the Embassy to make all suggestions, bug reports, complaints, and anything else relating to the forum itself. The Embassy Control staff will take all issues seriously. Or kill you. One of the two. Possibly both.
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Current Bug and Development List

Post by Salvation122 »

In no particular order:
  • Two or three people are having issues using Bulldrek e-mail through Outlook. [Toon's error message: "The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.bulldrek.com', Server: 'mail.bulldrek.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E"]
  • <s>Photo Album thumbnails are not working, and the template seems to be broken. Server might not have correct image libraries installed.</s> Fixed. Total idiot admin issue right there.
    <s>
  • Changing your profile or viewing comments in the Album returns the following error messages:

Code: Select all

Warning&#58; Cannot add header information - headers already sent by &#40;output started at /home/sites/site41/web/includes/functions_validate.php&#58;332&#41; in /home/sites/site41/web/includes/page_header.php on line 505 

Warning&#58; Cannot add header information - headers already sent by &#40;output started at /home/sites/site41/web/includes/functions_validate.php&#58;332&#41; in /home/sites/site41/web/includes/page_header.php on line 507 

Warning&#58; Cannot add header information - headers already sent by &#40;output started at /home/sites/site41/web/includes/functions_validate.php&#58;332&#41; in /home/sites/site41/web/includes/page_header.php on line 508
    Looks [to me, with my non-existant knowledge of PHP debugging] like all the errors are occuring on line 332, if that helps.</s> Fixed.
  • Some unresolved disagreement on whether or not Announcement links belong in the header.
  • Users are unable to change fonts in their signature.
  • Templates other than Bulldrek have not been updated to 2.0.6.
    <s>
  • The Private message section has two links for each box - two links for inbox, two links for sentbox, etc.</s> Fixed.
  • The left-hand margin - the Username field - sometimes draws far wider than is called for.
Current as of 9/3/04.
Last edited by Salvation122 on Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bishop

Post by Bishop »

Just as a side note. I solved my Outlook's problem with my account, but only by using Charter's (my cable modem provider) address as the outgoing mail server. Jusing mail.bulldrek.com as the outgoing mail server does not work with Outlook. At least not with the default settings, and I don't know what/how to change it. It works, but I had to cheat.
Pax Romana, Motherfucker.
Breaker of unbreakable things.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Is anyone still getting the errors in functions_vaidate in their profile? I think that's been fixed, though there is now an error in usercp_avatar...

10:41 Kai: Ohayou minna
10:42 Adam: ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER! :)
10:44 Kai: Fuck off, how's that? ;P
10:45 Adam: Much better.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

The profile edit gives me these messages:

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sites/site41/web/includes/usercp_avatar.php:625) in /home/sites/site41/web/includes/page_header.php on line 505

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sites/site41/web/includes/usercp_avatar.php:625) in /home/sites/site41/web/includes/page_header.php on line 507

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sites/site41/web/includes/usercp_avatar.php:625) in /home/sites/site41/web/includes/page_header.php on line 508

Thanks, Sal!
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Bishop wrote:Just as a side note. I solved my Outlook's problem with my account, but only by using Charter's (my cable modem provider) address as the outgoing mail server. Jusing mail.bulldrek.com as the outgoing mail server does not work with Outlook. At least not with the default settings, and I don't know what/how to change it. It works, but I had to cheat.
Check to see if you've got the authentication for outgoing mail switched on.
Bishop

Post by Bishop »

Yeah, I tried that. Still get the same error message that Toon posted.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Is there /anyone/ who can use mail.bulldrek.com as their outgoing mail server? Any time I've ever had an e-mail account that wasn't given to me by my ISP or that wasn't free webmail, I've had to use my ISP's outgoing mail server. Sometimes, you even have to authenticate with them via the appropriate checkbox. What I'm saying, though, is that this appears to me to be not a bulldrek.com server issue, but rather "the way it works." It's certainly how it's been explained to me for use on the old 3278.org servers, and the old bulldrek.com servers.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

No, it's not the way it works, it's the way the server's been configured. It won't accept any SMTP requests from outside it's domain, most likely.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

I am really not sure what to tell you guys. Under Eudora, so long as it is set to Never Use Authentication or Only Use if Available, and the checkbox is set to Always Check Mail Before Attempting to Send, it all works fine. Out of sheer curiousity, try setting the outgoing server to www.bulldrek.com, I've successfully used the www prefix in the past, too.

Toon
Bulldrek Junkie
Location: Stuck to the grate right outside the sewage treatment plant.

Post by Toon »

Kai wrote:Under Eudora, so long as it is set to Never Use Authentication or Only Use if Available, and the checkbox is set to Always Check Mail Before Attempting to Send, it all works fine.
I must be daft. I still cannot find the Never Use... or the Always Check... checkboxes in my copy of Eudora (of course it could be that I'm using Eudora Light and that could make a difference, but I don't know.)
Kai wrote:Out of sheer curiousity, try setting the outgoing server to www.bulldrek.com, I've successfully used the www prefix in the past, too.
Nope. Doesn't make a difference.
_There are some who say that Time is itself a hammer: that each slow second marks another tap that makes big rocks into little rocks, waterfalls into canyons, cliffs into beaches.
There are some who say that Time is instead a blade. They see the dance of its razored tip, poised like a venomous snake, forever ready to slay faster than the eye can see.
And there are some who say that Time is both hammer and blade.
They say the hammer is a sculptor's mallet, and the blade is a sculptor's chisel: that each stroke is a refinement, a perfecting, a discovery of truth and beauty within what would otherwise be blank and lifeless stone.
And I name this saying wisdom.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Ah, yeah Eudora light is funky...let me post up the exact wording of the options tonight and maybe you can search on it to figure out how to enable it in that at least, or maybe Outlook.

Adam
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Adam »

I can sucessfully send messges using mail.bulldrek.com using Mail for OS X.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Photo album fixed. I feel pretty stupid about that one.

Marius
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Marius »

Did I just get an erroneous email about a new PM? There wasn't one.
There is then a need to guard against a temptation to overstate the economic evils of our own age, and to ignore the existence of similar, or worse, evils in earlier ages. Even though some exaggeration may, for the time, stimulate others, as well as ourselves, to a more intense resolve that the present evils should no longer exist, but it is not less wrong and generally it is much more foolish to palter with truth for good than for a selfish cause. The pessimistic descriptions of our own age, combined with the romantic exaggeration of the happiness of past ages must tend to setting aside the methods of progress, the work of which, if slow, is yet solid, and lead to the hasty adoption of others of greater promise, but which resemble the potent medicines of a charlatan, and while quickly effecting a little good sow the seeds of widespread and lasting decay. This impatient insincerity is an evil only less great than the moral torpor which can endure, that we with our modern resources and knowledge should look contentedly at the continued destruction of all that is worth having. There is an evil and an extreme impatience as well as an extreme patience with social ills.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Here's a [tiny] bug we never fixed. In previewing a message or a PM, there's still a line of underscores above the signature, which we've removed in the threads. Would anyone object to me fixing this [minor] bug?
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Not at all :)

Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

FYI, I think there's something 'interesting' going on with the mail server, I have had trouble recently trying to connect to it outside of webmail. Will poke upstream about the outlook issues again as well as a general concern that it isn't working properly

Salvation122

Post by Salvation122 »

While trolling through a couple pages of the Embassy trying to find the bugs 32 referred to last night, I found a couple features that had been either accepted or discussed without any decision.
These are all really old - Lexicon goes back to the end of 2002 - and there's no huge pressure to implement them, but they might be things worth voting on again.

Edit: Oooh. Looking back through the Lexicon thread, this would be stupid-easy to implement on the Support site with a wiki.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Okay.

IRC
So we'd still be connecting to the DS server, yes? That is the one major restriction on hosting, no IRC servers. If its already written or whatever, I think that's all 32 :)

Upload
Well, damn. Seemed we reached a concensus and it just stalled out. Have had a lot more experience with file uploading since then, lemme go see what script I was refering to there and why...

bbCode
We still up for this or did we all learn it by now?

Lexicon
Um, sure :) Wiki sounds like an excellent way to do it. I nominate Sal to get sent a page template and make it work, can I get a second? ;)

Mass PM
Argh, that one is totally my fault, I have the hack for that on the HD at home.

Salvation122

Post by Salvation122 »

Kai wrote:Lexicon
Um, sure :) Wiki sounds like an excellent way to do it. I nominate Sal to get sent a page template and make it work, can I get a second? ;)
Eh, what the hell. I've got plenty of time to kill, of late.
Control
Bulldrekker

Post by Control »

Extra underscores on Preview removed. Bug fixed. Please notify if any extra signature underscores are spotted in posting, previewing, or private messaging.
Control
Bulldrekker

Post by Control »

Spam users cleared.

Options on statistics page expanded to 20, to show hinge point on user post counts, and absence thereof on posts/topics.

Attempted to rebuild smilies database. Was reprimanded by webhost. Need to avoid this action in the future.
Control
Bulldrekker

Post by Control »

Spam users cleared.

Installed user word count mod. Only appears on userprofile and viewtopic; should also appear on memberlist, with sort options.
Control
Bulldrekker

Post by Control »

Spam users cleared.

Disabled registration by a better means than freespeech's "no take-backsies" method.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Control wrote:Disabled registration by a better means than freespeech's "no take-backsies" method.
What the fuck? How can someone try to register when there's no submit button on the page? Let's try something a little more extraordinary.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Well, this is just ridiculous. Time for the big guns.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

If that doesn't do it, I'm gonna kill a nigga.
Big Jim
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Big Jim »

I have no idea what they're doing, but your reaction here is pretty good. Almost makes me want to try to sign up for a new account.
And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

I think I may finally have gotten it. No new registrations since my last precipitous action, anyway, which is a good sign.
Liniah
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Liniah »

W00t! Go you! :rollin
And I agree, pretty good monologue...
<center><font face="monospace" color=#0099FF font size="-1">one more blue sunny day</font></center>
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Well, thank you. :aww This seems to have done the trick, and better yet, existing users can still register new accounts, which means any of you should be able to make accounts for anyone you'd like to bring into the fold, so long as you're logged in.
Control
Bulldrekker

Post by Control »

Performing backup, as Bulldrek forum is displaying dangerously abnormal behavior.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

And tomorrow, after perhaps our host has forgiven that egregious use of bandwidth, I'll attempt the most daring backup yet, which may prove so dangerous to the world that I'll be forced to keep it all to myself.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Abnormal behavior from Bulldrek proper isn't normal?!?
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

It's being even more abnormal than normal! If that's not chillingly terrifying, I don't know what is. I can't wait to see what happens when someone posts in it...if they can.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

3278 wrote:And tomorrow, after perhaps our host has forgiven that egregious use of bandwidth, I'll attempt the most daring backup yet, which may prove so dangerous to the world that I'll be forced to keep it all to myself.
Note to self: don't ever, ever try that again.
Bishop

Post by Bishop »

What did you do, 32? What did you do?!
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Man, I want to reply with a quote-appropriate response, but I can't think what that's from.

Anyway, a literal response is that I tried exporting the Bulldrek database into Excel format, because there are certain mathematical functions I can much more easily perform with Excel than with, say, SQL. But this database is a monster that eats servers, and I need to stop poking it.
Bishop

Post by Bishop »

*hands the Ball a bigger hammer* This always works for me. Oh, by the way, remember years ago, when I broke a screwdriver, using it the correct way? Twisted that fucking steel shaft until it broke? Yeah, well..it's much easier to break one using it as a pry bar on a rear caliper..the damned thing exploded. I almost lost an eye.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Uh yeah....do not poke the way over reasonable MySQL performance sized DB lest the host find you and nuke you from orbit for killing the entire server cluster....IIRC though there are SQL to Excel converters if you have ssh access to SQL export one table at a time

No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Bishop wrote:Yeah, well..it's much easier to break one using it as a pry bar on a rear caliper..the damned thing exploded. I almost lost an eye.
I was recently using a dremel to shear the exhaust manifold bolts on the Cherokee - preparatory to replacing the exhaust - and had the cutting disk break, which is no surprise, since they break like glass when you use them. But I forgot I wear tiny glasses now, which are no substitute for real safety glasses. Put a big chunk of the disk on my lower eyelid, and of course thought, "Well, yeah, it's hot, but it'll cool down in a second. Okay, a couple seconds. Okay, any second now! Ow, ow, sonofabitch!" I almost lost an eye.

We're dumb.
Control
Bulldrekker

Post by Control »

CSS3 transitions added to links, bringing Chrome and Firefox 4 to the "fading links" table IE has been on [via Javascript] for a few years now. No solution for older Firefox at this time. Added only to [bulldrek] theme, and not to any of the minimalist themes; if anyone on [inverted] or [stripped] would like it, discussion should ensue.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Those links are supposed to glow in Chrome like they do in IE?
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Yeah, they should fade in over a period of about a half-second, and then fade out when you mouse off. I used the "transition" property of CSS3, which is awesome. I really wish I had the time to apply the things I've learned to Bulldrek: I'd rebuild the board from scratch. But you'll all have to settle for incremental eye candy updates for the time being.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Ah, I wasn't seeing the changes due to caching. Cute.

I'm really hoping CCS3 is going to standardize some cross-browser things. I'm getting sick and tired of trying to figure out why something doesn't work on IE when working on Corrosion.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

That was my hope, too, but I have to implement the CSS in four different ways...and it still doesn't work on IE! [It should work on 9 or something? I don't know.] I can't understand why browser manufacturers can't get together on at least a couple of these very basic standards, like, say, HTML5 and CSS3. *sigh*
Control
Bulldrekker

Post by Control »

Registration has been re-enabled, with administrative approval of all new user accounts. This should accommodate any users coming from Animalball, without flooding the board with spam users. Captchas may also be enabled, depending on volume of user applicants.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Of course, I'd rather just use Freespeech, but this is where everyones' testes are. Hearts, I mean.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Unbelievable. I've been getting about one registration an hour from spammers. It's no big deal, because I just delete them, but maintenance when I'm gone for a few weeks is going to be unwieldy. Looks like I need some captchas and such.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

I get about 20 - 40 bullshit account registrations a day on wRx, but almost none of them pass the account activation stage.