Formatting Error

Users should come to the Embassy to make all suggestions, bug reports, complaints, and anything else relating to the forum itself. The Embassy Control staff will take all issues seriously. Or kill you. One of the two. Possibly both.
No-Life Loser

Formatting Error

Post by 3278 »

Does it seem to anyone else like the threads all look funny? Like the table widths aren't right? Looks /butt/ damned ugly, but I can't be sure it's not just my memory playing tricks on me.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

I think table widths are used to compensate for pi-bombing, making threads...a bit easier to read.
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Oh, and Cain's "protests" aren't fixed on the rest of the templates, by the way.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

The tables are a slight bit off, the div tags included in the horizontal scrolling fix apparently push the poster block on the left slightly off to the side. It can be compensated for with an adjustement to the maximum width per resolution for the post block, though.

And, yes, unfortunatly, its only fixed in the Bulldrek template. As I've said since the board upgraded from 2.0.1, I simply don't have the time to correct all the broken templates to 2.0.6, and therefore its impossible for me to maintain them. I will try to find time sometime soon however as I've noticed no one seems to be interested in actually using OpenBoard to learn phpBB. For now all I can say it I'll try for mid-June.

10:41 Kai: Ohayou minna
10:42 Adam: ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER! :)
10:44 Kai: Fuck off, how's that? ;P
10:45 Adam: Much better.
Bishop
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Bishop »

First off..Kai, I love that signature.

Second off, what is this "OpenBoard" you speak of? I can learn pretty quickly, if I apply myself. Maybe I can help.
Pax Romana, Motherfucker.
Breaker of unbreakable things.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

So, Cain's busted the entire templating system, then? That's great.

How long is the code for the h-scroll fix? Seems like we should be able to find someone who has the time to copy and paste those lines into the other three templates [or at least the other 2 templates that are in use]. Doesn't really seem like it should take very long.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

OpenBoard: http://www.bulldrek.com/viewtopic.php?t=5395

I can send you the zip file if you want, 32, or Bishop or whoever, its not that complicated, mostly find and add code pieces, upload some css files. I can't promise it will work in the other templates, but chances are good it should.

No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

With any luck, we can solve the problem when Cain edits his posts, and we can change the code back to the way it was, fixing every formatting error all at once.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Duh; didn't mention that, yes, of course I would be pleased to repair the other 3 templates if Cain doesn't choose to edit his posts and if you don't have time.
Adam
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Adam »

It's been mentioned on IRC, but the recent fixes break Bulldrek badly in Safari*; every post is now wider than the table it's inside. I haven't had time to take a look at the code to see if it's easily fixed.

[*And, I suspect, the KDE web browser and other browsers derived from KHTML and WebCore]
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

There are, of course, like 12 versions of this fix too, I'm sure there's one that's better than this one, it was merely the one I trusted most and had the least amount of editing required. :)

Actually, better idea, so Adam can look at it, and you can put it into the other templates if you want 32, I've just uploaded the zip here

No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Here's another funky one: has anyone else noticed that frequently, you can't use the up-down, page up-page down, home-end keys to navigate within a page? It only seems to happen to me on the board, and it started at least fairly recently, but I don't know if it's just this computer or just this browser or what. I seem to recall Paul's machine did it, too, but I'm not sure, and I can't /always/ make it not work. Whack.
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

I think it's because of the scroll thing that was added for Cain's Pi-bombing. As long as you click either side of the text colum e.g. under the avatars and profiles, then it workds fine. Try clicking in the text though and it gets confused about which scroll bar to use.
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Hmm. I'd have thought I'd tried that, but sometimes, I become very very dumb and forget what I have and have not done, and must be reminded by those less very very dumb than I.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

I have never in fact tried to navigate the page using the pg up/down buttons or home and end, interesting thing to note to do though :)

No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Yeah, that's my graphic designer, anti-mouse, anal retentive keyboard usage. :)
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Heh, I am all about the clicky bits and the double scroll wheel :)

Bishop

Post by Bishop »

No, I've noticed it sometimes, too. Some pages, I've just not been able to load it. It's like that part of the code almost forgets to load.
Pax Romana, Motherfucker.
Breaker of unbreakable things.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

You're right, Flak. Once you click outside the table holding the posts, it's fine. I guess I can add that to my list of grievances against Cain, as it's the fix for his "protests" which prevents me from browsing the page the way I should be able to. And I'm pretty sure there's no good fix for it, either; it's not like it's something Kai can change, it's just the way HTML and my browser handle focus. Jesus. So I have to use the mouse - trackball, actually, on this machine - in order to properly use the keyboard. Oi.

Anyway, thanks for solving the mystery, Flak!
Adam
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Adam »

Haven't noticed that problem on my Powerbook with Safari; I almost always use the up/down keys to navigate web pages, and it's been working just fine pre- and post-fix.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Doesn't matter now, since we can remove the fix. Yay!
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Board looks great, Kai, and everything seems to work right again. Thanks!
Kwyndig
Location: The Orbiting Volcano Lair, high above the surface of Bulldrek

Post by Kwyndig »

Yeah, go Kai!

*wuffles*
kwyndig@yahoo.com This sig for rent, reasonable rates