Index Announcement installed

Users should come to the Embassy to make all suggestions, bug reports, complaints, and anything else relating to the forum itself. The Embassy Control staff will take all issues seriously. Or kill you. One of the two. Possibly both.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Okay, check the Dev board, how's that look?

I know this is going to sound repetative, but I want to make sure :) Moving it any higher on the page will put it in the header, and before I do it and people go yelling, that does mean it will be on every single page until such time as the topic is no longer marked as an announcement. There's no way to mark as read and make it disappear. So, yes, or no only, do you want me to move it into the header?

10:41 Kai: Ohayou minna
10:42 Adam: ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER! :)
10:44 Kai: Fuck off, how's that? ;P
10:45 Adam: Much better.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

I prefer it in the header.

edit: The font's not quite right, either, and the portion of the announcement that's a link is different. Here's the code for the proper version:

Code: Select all

<font size="2"><b>Announcement&#58; <a href="">I'm not wearing any pants.</a></b>
I should have posted that in the first place and saved you some time. Sorry about that.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Okay, I'll go dig up a matching style from the CSS sheet, or at least a mostly matching one.

FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Actually, I kinda prefer that the announcement itself is the link/blue rather than the anouncement header if you get what I mean. That and the font seems different from the 'Anouncement:' bit which I think should be the same, although that could just be my end. Oh and I think it should be moved just a tad to the left so that it starts under Profile rather than Usergroups. But that's more a personal taste thing. :)
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

I get what you mean Flak, and they are currently different fonts. I'll poke at it some more today. I kinda prefer having the actual title being the blue/link part, too.

Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

I disagree; I think having the white in the header makes it stand out, which is necessary for such a minimalist approach.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Salvation122 wrote:I disagree; I think having the white in the header makes it stand out, which is necessary for such a minimalist approach.
Lemme quote Flak, though: "Actually, I kinda prefer that the announcement itself is the link/blue rather than the anouncement header if you get what I mean." So I think he means that the word "Announcement:" should be white, and the rest of the text be the link, which I tried, but didn't think looked as good. Nevertheless, it's not - gloriously! - up to me. :D

I'd also like to vote that no announcement remain in place longer than a week. That seems long enough, yeah?
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

So I think he means that the word "Announcement:" should be white, and the rest of the text be the link[...]
Oh. Well, I still disagree. So nyah.
I'd also like to vote that no announcement remain in place longer than a week. That seems long enough, yeah?
Aye.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Yeah, white Announcement, blue link to actual topic was what I thought he meant too.

I would think a week should be plenty. We're all addicts here, if we don't check the board at least once a week, we're either on vacation or dying :)

No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Cool. That said, the current one's thus expired.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

poof :7

Liniah
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Liniah »

Uhm...what's up with the bar now?
<center><font face="monospace" color=#0099FF font size="-1">one more blue sunny day</font></center>
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Code artifact. As its not the new code we'll use anyway, I haven't fixed it, and will do so when I stick the new code in. Just a tad too busy at the moment :)

No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Is there a reason we can't move Live back to the root directory?
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Not really. Everything should be linking relativly these days. That's not saying I guarentee that something won't break of course ;7

Liniah
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Liniah »

3278 wrote:Is there a reason we can't move Live back to the root directory?
Doh! That was post 3278 of this forum and I missed it! I didn't notice until it was 3279!

:smokin
<center><font face="monospace" color=#0099FF font size="-1">one more blue sunny day</font></center>
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Doh! :D

Is anyone opposed to moving Live back to the root? If not, let's do it, yeah?
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Looks like no-one's opposed. :D
Anguirel
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Anguirel »

I'm all for it.
complete. dirty. whore.
_Patience said: Ang, you are truly a font of varied and useful information.
IRC Fun:
<Reika> What a glorious way to die.
<Jackal> What are you, Klingon?
<Reika> Worse, a paladin.
<Jackal> We're all fucked.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

This is pretty much of non-issue, so I'm for it.
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Let's do it, then. Also, the old-style announcement is still being displayed on [stripped]; someone should go through and make sure it's gone from all the templates; I have commented code in each of their headers that I'd un-comment when we needed an announcement, and that can go, too, since it's just taking up space now.

Is anyone interested in compiling a list of current bugs and issues, so we can volunteer to fix them? I was hoping one of the side-effects of me stepping aside is that all the bugs introduced when we upgraded to 2.0.6 would get finally fixed, since they wouldn't be held back by my laziness anymore, but it doesn't seem to have helped, so I'd like to try to jump-start some things, if only to get the ball rolling.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Yes, please, I really haven't got unlimited time here, and currently I kind of have to concentrate on the paid work, so BD development is going to suffer a bit.

Almost anyone can do template maintenance if you have basic knowledge of html. All you really need is a copy of the template to fix and a copy of the lastest subSilver template, and do some file comparison, check for things like variable being named differently, etc.

I really think we need a simple bug tracker, too. Adam, you paying attention? I know you recommended some to me earlier for things, have any further comments about any of them?

I will try to move the code back into the main directory and get the photo album installed this week

No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Kai, why don't you send me the ftp address, username, and password, and I'll clean the old announcement code out of the templates myself. May as well; I put 'em there. :) Then I can get rid of the X announcement on [stripped], too, which is bugging the <i>crap</i> out of me.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Will do.

No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Um. Didn't get it. Did you send it?
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Thought so, but will do it again in case I didn't

No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Got it, and fixed the templates. Everything should be cool; let me know, anyone, if you see any problems.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

3278 wrote:
Kai wrote:Moving it any higher on the page will put it in the header, and before I do it and people go yelling, that does mean it will be on every single page until such time as the topic is no longer marked as an announcement. There's no way to mark as read and make it disappear. So, yes, or no only, do you want me to move it into the header?
This has been driving me /crazy./ Can someone other than Kai and myself care about this, if only so we can get a deciding vote? Kai prefers that the announcement appear only on the front page, where it is now: between the header and the main table of forum listings. I prefer it /in/ the header, immediately below Account Switch, which means it appears on every page, which I like, and doesn't mess up the layout of any of the pages [which the current announcement obviously only does on the front page].

Kai asked for votes, but she only got mine, and thus did it her way.* Now, I don't have any problem at all with having the announcement stay where it is, but only if there's a popular vote supporting it. And I would much prefer to have the Announcement in the header itself, where it doesn't mess up the front page and can always be seen. So, yes or no, should the Announcement be moved to the header?

*I think this is probably not the way we should be doing things, incidentally. If we have to campaign for more votes, that's fine, but I'd hate to see the board take a direction in which if a user and an administrator are the only people to vote, the administrator wins the vote <i>de facto</i>.

[edit: Actually, I just looked through the thread, and it appears I'm far from the only person who'd rather have the announcements in the header, which is why Kai felt the need to ask so many times. Do we need a re-vote, or should we just go ahead and move it?]
Anguirel

Post by Anguirel »

3278 wrote:
3278 wrote:
Kai wrote:Moving it any higher on the page will put it in the header, and before I do it and people go yelling, that does mean it will be on every single page until such time as the topic is no longer marked as an announcement. There's no way to mark as read and make it disappear. So, yes, or no only, do you want me to move it into the header?
This has been driving me /crazy./ Can someone other than Kai and myself care about this, if only so we can get a deciding vote? Kai prefers that the announcement appear only on the front page, where it is now: between the header and the main table of forum listings. I prefer it /in/ the header, immediately below Account Switch, which means it appears on every page, which I like, and doesn't mess up the layout of any of the pages [which the current announcement obviously only does on the front page].
We got it to be on every forum page, right? I'm not seeing the need for it to be in the header directly, and thus visible while, say, I'm writing a post. On the other hand, I don't see it as a major problem either, and there's certainly enough empty space there to hold it. My vote is for laziness -- which is to say, leave it alone if it works already, but if it bothers you a bunch and no one else cares, go ahead and change it yourself.
complete. dirty. whore.
IRC Fun:
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Please, if any of you have a preference say something. Generally the best response around here we get is 'whatever' or 'either way', in which case, honestly, only ends up being whatevers already there because I am not terribly inclined to go changing stuff when nobody cares.

So, yeah, give an opinion.

Anguirel

Post by Anguirel »

I was wrong, it isn't on every forum page, just the front "list of forums" one. This is bad, since I've been known to skip the front page and jump straight to a given forum and would therefore miss it. Since 32 wants a change, I don't like how it is, and 32's solution meets my criteria, I vote that the announcement get moved up into the header, assuming it can look nice and meshes with everything else well. I further move that 32 do the work since that keeps the burden off Kai and will make sure it's in a place that doesn't bother 32 like crazy, and most people won't give a damn anyways and nobody minds yelling at 32 when he screws up.
complete. dirty. whore.
IRC Fun:
MissTeja
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by MissTeja »

I would much prefer the Album in the header as well.
To the entire world, you may be one single person, but to one person, you may be the entire world.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Assuming you mean the announcement, the album's already in the header ;)