Monthly Financials

Users should come to the Embassy to make all suggestions, bug reports, complaints, and anything else relating to the forum itself. The Embassy Control staff will take all issues seriously. Or kill you. One of the two. Possibly both.
Big Jim
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Big Jim »

Yes.
Last edited by Big Jim on Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Jim
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Big Jim »

No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

I'm not exactly in a position to say no, so, yes. :)
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

If a donation comes through, I'll also post my figures, from my bank, so I can't just keep swallowing money and saying, "Hey, I'm in debt here!" until I have a giant palace I will use to take over the entire world. :roll
Jackal
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Jackal »

3278 wrote:If a donation comes through, I'll also post my figures, from my bank, so I can't just keep swallowing money and saying, "Hey, I'm in debt here!" until I have a giant palace I will use to take over the entire world. :roll
So, are you hiring for assistant evil genius yet?
_
“Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.”
The Eclipse
Knight of the Imperium

Post by The Eclipse »

What is our current fiscal state? is 32 still owing the money for the hosting bill?
-----------------------------------------------------------------
'How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
'You must be', said the Cat, 'or you wouldn't have come here.'

MooCow is a carrier of Mad Cow Disease
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Actually, I haven't recieved anything yet. Kai offered to send $47 to fend off the collectors, so I called the bank to see if that would help, but apparently my bill is between bank and collections, so they haven't gotten back to me yet. But I still owe about US$350 to the bank, not counting late fees, which I'm paying myself, since I'm the one who's late, and not you guys. I have the exact figure here somewhere, but it's between $350 and $360 in back hosting costs.

I'm hoping that any kind of payment will keep them off my back for awhile. [Actually, my parents' backs, since it's their number the people keep calling.] So anything anyone can contribute would be helpful. Kai would like to have everyone PayPal her the money, so she can then cut a check to me every $100, which keeps me honest and lets everyone keep track of where their money is going.

Other than that, we're paid up on the hosting bills for quite a while, and should have no other expenses, unless and until we decide to buy some software for the site or whatnot.

Anything I'm missing, Kai? Anyone?
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Nope, bulldrek is good on hosting til October 04, $100 is just an arbitrary easy amount to keep track of because I do have to keep track of it iin my books and all :) And its not a requirement to go through WT or anything, just more of a service than trying to coordinate who has your address and whatnot

10:41 Kai: Ohayou minna
10:42 Adam: ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER! :)
10:44 Kai: Fuck off, how's that? ;P
10:45 Adam: Much better.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Particularly since my address changes just about every week. :) And I can't use PayPal, since my PayPal account is linked to my bank account, which is delinquent since they kept taking the hosting money out of my empty account, [Thanks, bank!] and I don't think anyone else is anxious to give me a checking account while I owe $350 to my previous bank. [I don't know why not. :cute ] So sending it through Kai is best and easiest for everybody.
The Eclipse
Knight of the Imperium

Post by The Eclipse »

Well, seeing that bulldrek's expenses are covered until October, I suggest we make a push to cover the past expenses incurred by 32. I'm going to throw 50 bucks in the pot next friday. What was your paypal account, kai?

Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

points to the Bulldrek Support Site link in the header

winternighttech@winternightex.com

No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

The Support Site link doesn't work for me. I'm on [stripped]. The url I see is:

Code: Select all

http://www.bulldrek.com/ss.htm
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Well then, you'll have to fix the template ;)

It should be ss.php and you can pull the ss.tpl file to modify out of the bulldrek template to strip down. If you want to fix the stripped template completely, all those header links will need to be changed to reflect that they are now PHP files with templates.

No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Whoa. How did I miss that? I didn't even know those pages had been changed. Looks like there are some layout errors on [bulldrek], too, and there will certainly be errors in [inverted]. When did we change those pages to PHP?
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

When I took out the absolute links and was terribly annoyed with referenceing each individual graphic, so just made templates for them and made them php pages. :7

And come to think of it, you're right, I never did go in and fix the Gathering stuff all the way through, though I really do intend to get the photo album thing installed, hopefully this weekend, really.

No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Maybe I'm out of line, since no one else has mentioned it, but that's probably the sort of thing we ought to vote on, or at least be told about. I recall you personally having some concerns about others doing this. Anyway, it'd be helpful for people to know, so they can keep an eye out for bugs like that one.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

It was a fix from way back when someone brought up fixing the links to not point to bulldrek.com when we were on smarthostplan.com plan. IIRC someone asked why the links in the header didn't work and the pages looked garbled, and I replied that they were hardcoded links instead of dynamic and also didn't use the same stylesheet as the boards.

At least I though the general concensus was to fix it, I try not to do anything without a reason and a go ahead from people. That was the original reason I asked about the templates, because I didn't have time to fix all of them for dynamic linking let alone the then planned 2.0.6 upgrade. But yeah, I can put them back if people want, it may have been one of those fixes where the method of fixing wasn't quite clear, and if so, sorry aboout that.

No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

That's cool; I'm not angry, just reminding. And I may very well have just forgotten; it was a while ago, now.

You'll have to let me know whenever you get that money from Eclipse: starting Saturday - or earlier, I guess, now that I think about it - I'm not sure where I'll be living, so I'll have to give you the address of wherever I am. Come to think of it, I'll probably just have you send it to my parents, since I obviously can't write a check to the collections people, since the debt is my checking account. :D That way my father can deposit it [we have the same name] in his account and write the check, and I won't ever even have to do anything. Sweet!
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Well thats nice and convienent. And yeah, I never quite understood how bank collections expect you to pay for things when they won't take cash. M,uch like fining you bounced checks, if you didn't have the money in the first place, what makes them think you have it plus $35 now? Anyway, will PM you when everything is sorted and all.

No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Eclipse has fallen asleep, I fear. :)
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

I don't want to be anyone's nagging wife, but if anyone's planning on donating, or have decided against donating [that's for those who've been thinking about donating, ie Flame, Paul, and Eclipse, et al.] please, let me know. My poor mother got three calls from the creditors last week, including one from someone named "Ray Savage," which, if it's not fictional, has to be the best collections agent name I've ever heard. I'd like to be able to give the credit agency an idea of what's going on, if only because telling them I'll pay them US$100 and then disappearing seems to have made them /really angry./ :)

Anyway, one way or the other, it would be totally helpful [to my mother, if no one else] to know. Thanks!
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Assuming I did my math right (which is always questionable) I should be getting a sizable tax return and while most of it does have to go into keeping my ass out of collections and funding I really good shot at an actual wedding, there will be some to go into donations for Bulldrek. Of course the efficiency of the federal gov't giving me money is legendary, so I can't really promise you a timeframe, but there will be money at some point in the coming months.

No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Hey, anything to keep "Ray Savage" from showing up at my doorstep with a sledgehammer. ;)
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Like selling your Cadillac and driving a Hyundai instead? ;)
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

As if a car would actually cost /me/ money.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Let me tell you my sob story.

For almost two years, I've been unemployed. While it's tempting to hold the view that this is somehow exclusively my fault, something like 5,000 jobs have been lost in the past couple of months in my area. I would love to move, but I cannot, since my daughter lives here and I will not be away from her for any extended period. I'm well over US$10,000 in debt, which isn't so bad when you consider how long I've had to live on that money. At times, I went as long as four months without eating; generous gifts of food from Teja, Paul, Gunny and Daki put a thankful end to that, but I still could not afford to eat more than, say, one package of ramen a day.

For the first year of my unemployment, I continued to pay the board hosting fees, even while not being about to pay for food. By my offhand calculations, up until donations started paying for the board about a year ago, I'd spent about US$1,000 on the board while not working, and about US$125 on food. [I don't know why I keep making a big deal out of the not-eating thing; perhaps because it's less impressively glum than, say, the $0 I spent on my car, the end result of which was a missing windshield; although I personally think it's quite impressive that I drove the car for several months afterward.]

Last year, I asked for donations to help me out. DV8 sent money [edit: I'd written that he sent money twice, but looking back, he's sent money /at least/ three times, making him the single largest non-me benefactor the board has. Bravo to him.], despite himself being unemployed. 12 other incredibly generous people sent money, from US$10 to an astonishing US$147.27 from a funny-looking british guy. These were the donations that kept the board running until Wildfire/Kai moved us to her servers, at a fantastically reduced price.

Since September of last year, when Kai took over donations and costs, we've collected US$420 in donations, which has been enough to keep the board going until October of this year. This amazing outpouring of support for the community has let us all breathe a little easier, knowing we don't have to worry about stuff like the board going offline again.

Oh, except my mother. See, she's the one who's home during the day, home at the place the credit agencies think I still am. Except that I'm not there anymore: while my parents were kind enough to let me stay there for a few months, they felt it would be an additional incentive to find work if I were homeless. [Nevermind that, of the 16 resumes I've sent out this week alone, I have heard back on none.] A very very good friend let me stay as long as possible, and now another great friend is allowing me to stay at his house, though the portion of the house I live in has been long designated as "unlivable," probably having something to do with the below-freezing temperatures I sleep in at night or the birds, bats, and rodents that live in my walls. Nevertheless, I am exceedingly grateful to them, for without their assistance, I'd be living in my car, which is colder, smaller, and doesn't have internet access.

Back to my mother. She's the one who has to take the calls from the creditors, including the creditors from my bank, the one I've racked up a US$450+ bill with, because I continued paying for the board after I'd run out of money, leading to a deficit of US$354 and over a hundred dollars in overdraft fees. This debt, being something like a year old now, has gone to collections, and thus my mother recieves, on average, three calls a week from my bank's collection agency alone. Since she's not my secretary and I don't live at her house, she has finally submitted to simply giving them my cellular phone number. This means that now, whenever they call, I have to pay the bill, which is quite expensive, seeing as how with my horrific credit I can only get a pre-paid plan, at an expense of 30 cents a minute. I have to keep money on the phone, because my cell number, of course, is the one on my resumes.

The long and short of it is this: I have to pay these people. I have to pay this debt incurred supporting the board. I did that happily and willingly, but I can not do it now, and I beg your assistance. Since we're paid up on hosting until October, we voted unanimously over two months ago to use any donations to pay this "back bill." However, since then, there's been no donation activity at all.

This is a hard time, financially, and well I know it, but nevertheless, I call on you all for support. US$5, US$10, US$50, hell, send all US$350 of the debt if you're feeling completely insane: just please, send Kai something, so I can go back to answering my phone without worrying that it's Ray Savage again, asking what happened to the US$100 we'd planned to give him a couple of weeks ago.

Thank you so much.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Huh. Okay.

Kai, could you mail the existing surplus, then? I'll PM you my parents' address; they know to be looking out for it. Thanks.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Sure thing. I'll get that out tomorrow as soon as I find the damn box with the rest of my checks in it.

Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

7 April from Er, whenever the last update was

+$47 Carryover
+$70 Donations In
- $117 Back board costs paid to 3278

Available Cash: $0
Net Funding: $0

Pending upcoming expenses: None

No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Wow. This is fantastic! Thanks to everyone who donated, and everyone who picked up an e-mail address. Ray Savage and I appreciate it immensely.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

And Ray Savage can have a bit more on Monday, after I send my donation in later tonight. It would have been sooner, unfortunately I had to deal with a father back in the padded room building and trying to swallow far too many pills.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

All right, everyone! Thanks a lot. The first check should be to my parents' by now, and from there onward to Mr Savage. Kai, can you let me know, from time to time, how we're doing, so I can let him know when the next check might come? We may be able to arrange things so you can just send it straight to him, but we'll chat about that when the time comes.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Oh, yeah, we should be close to another hundred-ish, need to just coordinate with Adam on the email thing and then crunch the numbers again.

No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

That's great. I wish someone had been clever enough to come up with this e-mail idea four years ago! I never even thought this many people would want one; and it's so easy to set up! More kudos to Kai.

Let me know whenever we're hitting a hundred again, and I'll let my parents know to expect another check. [I haven't told them /where/ the money's coming from yet, or who you are, just that it needs to go onward to Ray, so they probably think you're some kind of secret agent, or someone I'm blackmailing periodically.]
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Heh, considering the return address is "WT" with a P.O. Box? Yeah ;)

No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

As if "Winternight Technologies" would be less sinister! :lol
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

See, that's what I need. Nice stark checks for WT that can be run through the printer and sent in plain envelopes from a P.O. Box with no notes...

No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Kai, do you think there'll be enough for another payment in a couple of weeks? That'd be a hundred a month, and if that doesn't satisfy the collections people, they can eat my nose. I'm collecting as much as I can here - since I'm paying the part of the bill that's late fees, about a hundred-plus - but I just blew the lobes off my cams, blowing the engine on my car, which one might suppose will cost something to replace. :cute Cars are stupid.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

:conf Isn't your car new?
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Oh, no. I couldn't afford to <i>buy</i> a car. I suspect that it wouldn't have mattered, anyway; this is definitely <i>not</i> the first engine I've destroyed.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Yeah, we have about a hundred from email accounts, I have just been waiting for Adam to verify whose paid with me before sending the money.

Adam
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Adam »

I'll so have you all that on Monday/Tuesday. Shit has just been so hectic as of late.
The Eclipse
Knight of the Imperium

Post by The Eclipse »

Ah shit 32, I'm sorry, I told you I was going to send something and then it slipped my mind. I will see what I can do next friday. (this friday was house payment day.)

No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Thank you very much, Eclipse!

Which reminds me: the month is up in two days; Kai, has Adam sent you the information you needed?
Bishop
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Bishop »

So am I gonna be able to use the account soon?
Pax Romana, Motherfucker.
Breaker of unbreakable things.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Yes, funds should hit my checking account tomorrow, meaning a check will go out then too, If I'm adding right, which is of course questionable, $120 ish.

Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Kai and 32, I sent my money for the two email addresses I wanted, plus some extra. A total of $75 donated, and I'd like the remainder after the email address to go towards paying the back balance, if you would please.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

/me kisses Jeff. :D