Strange idea.

Users should come to the Embassy to make all suggestions, bug reports, complaints, and anything else relating to the forum itself. The Embassy Control staff will take all issues seriously. Or kill you. One of the two. Possibly both.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Strange idea.

Post by FlameBlade »

If anyone breaks p10k...Yes, that's 10000 posts...the option to get customized title should be open.

I don't imagine that it would be difficult...
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

I second that motion. I miss the old custom titles. :)
__
Jeff Hauze: Wow. I think Jestyr just fucking kicked my ass.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

I'm not very fond of this idea, since it would mean the privilege is to those that postpump. I think it should be related to how much of a profound impact someone has on Bulldrek.
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

But who gets to define 'impact'?

Turning it into a popularity contest has its own problems, one must admit.
__
Eliahad
Squire of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eliahad »

However, since the Bulldrek proper has postpumping galore, every day, in everyway. Well...there's nothing new to it really, would it really be any different than seeing the next 'title'?
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

I know that I'd like to see the return of custom titles. And keeping it to the small group of posters who reach in excess of 10,000 posts should not seriously increase the complexity of the forum.
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

*chuckles at Caz's title.*

The reason is...it's very very very difficult to reach p10k. Period.

Very very difficult.

It requires a lot of loyalty. Sure, it's easy to get p1k, but p10k is other story.
Bethyaga
Knight of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Bethyaga »

I would like to vote against getting custom titles again. Truly, it should be about giving them to everyone or no one... and I seriously prefer no one.

A fair bit of work (albeit fun work) went to arranging the current progression of titles, and if anyone remembers correctly, the p10k title is No-Life Loser. Anyone who reaches that level should wear the No-Life Loser badge proudly. Remember the begging and cajoling we did to try and get Dvix to make it a real title on DRF? Only Crucible ever got it and only briefly. We were begging for that, and now it's an attainable goal--one that truly would reflect the dedication and effort of the poster who earned it. Sure you guys say, "It's just post-pumping. Anyone could do it." But who has? Daki and Caz are the ones in the running right? And when their day comes, is there anyone who can claim that they haven't fully earned it? That the title of No-Life Loser is somehow cheapened by any post-pumping they may have done?

Come on--No-Life Loser is a title to be proud of, and here we are talking about how to do away with it before anyone even achieves it. You all suck. We all have tons of customization possibilities already--what would this add that you can't get from your sig and avatar and colored posts and bio info that already show up with every post? Is that small diminishing return worth throwing away the as-yet-unattainable glory that is No-Life Loser?

No. No it's not.

I was the first person to sign onto this board after Earl put it up, and I've been a pretty dedicated and regular poster, but I'm barely past p1k. I recognize that I'll never be the Loser that Cazmonster is, but I can dream. You can put in your custom titles if you wish, but should the day ever come that I cross that magic line into p10k, I can gaurantee you that my "custom" title will be No-Life Loser.
_Whoever invented that brush that goes next to the toilet is an idiot, cuz that thing hurts.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

when I think about it...

In a way, it would be against interests of those who just visit SST...

So...now I'm against it.
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

Bethy - valid points, but on v0.2 No-Life Loser was in /addition/ to any other custom titles, as evidenced by Cash's long run as the No-Life Loser and Living Post Count. (In the end he got to around 11600 posts, I think, which is faintly horrifying :).)

I agree that p10K should be a No-Life Loser, definitely. I'd just like to see custom titles in addition to that. I think they're a valid part of BD's history, just as much so as the NLL title, and they'd be nice to see IMO.
__
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

If we do custom titles, I vote we do it for everyone. Whether self-choice, or like the Gathering pictures, people submit ideas and the user can choose one of them doesn't matter much to me. But I don't want to see custom titles as another way to segregate BDers, to be blunt if its 'awarded' on some criteria, there will be people who will never get it and resent it, and those that get it and use it as something to hold over others.
_
"Are you alright?"
"I'm a little fucked up in general so its hard to tell."
Bethyaga
Knight of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Bethyaga »

Actually, Jes, I was just having fun with the dramatic speech. I real life, I do vote against having custom titles, however I realize I am probably outvoted and will bow to the will of the majority.

But I completely agree that if we are going to have custom titles in addition to everything else, then I'm with Wildfire--they should be for everyone without conditions.
_Whoever invented that brush that goes next to the toilet is an idiot, cuz that thing hurts.
Eliahad
Squire of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eliahad »

I especially like the idea of 'captioning' people and letting them choose.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

Hmmm...I understand Bethyaga the point of view.

Now I'm ambigious.

Here's three choices: customizedtitle after p10k, more titles after p10k, or NLL.

That's three choices...which do you prefer. I'm thinking that customized title would be awfully biased toward those who postpump. I mean, there are great debators on SST that shouldn't be ignored...
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

On the other hand, if a custom title is that important to them, they know how to get one :)

I dunno. In a way, the old forum method did feel like elitism - I only got lucky because 32 was kind enough to give all the DSF admins a custom title. :) On the other hand, I'd be disappointed to see /everyone/ with a custom title... RPGnet does that, and it has zero cool factor.

Okay, how's this for an idea to reward community participation, without encouraging total post-pumping? Set a threshold value for length of the time on the boards, and a minimum postcount, and when you hit that threshold if you want a custom title you just mention it to [whoever will be responsible for that bit of admin] and they can check your eligibility and do it?

That way a custom title is still something a bit special, and retains some value - because if everyone gets them they become just like another sig file, and are pretty pointless - but it's not *that* hard to get, it doesn't smack of elitism, it doesn't require post-pumping, and it rewards community participation.

I'd suggest values of "six months membership" and "p1K", but they're just suggestions.
__
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Some time ago, 32 finally allowed people to offer their support, wether it monetary, or through putting work in for the board. Why don't you allow the people that are helping maintain or improve this board through hard work or dollars to get a custom title.

Much like they did on DSF, really.
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

Also a damn fine idea. :)
__
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

DV8 do has a point. I'm willing to go with that.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

*shrug* I don't care any way.
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Gunny
SMITE!™ Grand Master

Post by Gunny »

I like Deev's idea best and that gets my vote.
<center><b><font size=1><font color="#FF9900">"Invaders blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubber pants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!" -Zim</font></font></b></center>
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

I'd agree with Dennis' idea, and add that anyone with 10,000 posts should be given the option, as well, to change or not change their title.
Gunny
SMITE!™ Grand Master

Post by Gunny »

I'm worried that the 10K post option would promote out of control postpumping.
<center><b><font size=1><font color="#FF9900">"Invaders blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubber pants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!" -Zim</font></font></b></center>
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

I'm just worried about Szechuan :)

And besides, who has stamina for p10k? Especially when following the rules of bulldrek?

p10k is a lot. Period.

By the way...I'm going with 3278's idea.
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

New spin - The first one to p10K gets the NLL title, and others get a custom title. I think this works really well, since it honors the winner of the race to 10000, and gives others th ability to put something different if they want to.