Wishlist

Users should come to the Embassy to make all suggestions, bug reports, complaints, and anything else relating to the forum itself. The Embassy Control staff will take all issues seriously. Or kill you. One of the two. Possibly both.
Eva
Baron of the Crimson Assfro

Wishlist

Post by Eva »

Please post here things you'd like to see in the board, but aren't necessary for its functioning properly. Also, if you volunteer to handle a certain project, please tack your name at the end.

This post will summarize the rest of the thread by naming the project, its owner and possible remarks to keep things clear.

* Next / Previous Message buttons in PM index

* Ability to forward PMs

* Ability to send/forward PMs to multiple people [Wildfire]

* Display topic start date/time [Wildfire]
Requires discussion from a design angle

* "View previous topic" and "View next topic" buttons link to most recent page of the next/previous thread, not the first page of it.

* Have background of color picker pull-down in posting screen be color on black background. [Wildfire]

* Forums links at bottom of page include members-only forums
Last edited by Eva on Sun Jan 12, 2003 6:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
One time I built a matter transporter, but things got screwed up (long story, lol) and I ended up turning into a kind of half-human, half-housefly monstrosity.
Eva

Post by Eva »

Is it possible to have time/date stamping on when a topic was started? I know this will add another item to the front page, so I'm wondering if it'll get too crowded. I do find myself wishing for it at least once a day, hence my question.
One time I built a matter transporter, but things got screwed up (long story, lol) and I ended up turning into a kind of half-human, half-housefly monstrosity.
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

Wishlist item: that the "view previous topic" and "view next topic" links at the top and bottom of the thread pages take you to the most recent page of the next/previous thread, not the first page of it.
__
Jeff Hauze: Wow. I think Jestyr just fucking kicked my ass.
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Re: Wishlist

Post by Wildfire »

Eva wrote:* Ability to send/forward PMs to multiple people
Assign that one to me. I'm sure its possible to display topic start date, just requires a little research.

Thought of something else:

phpBB Language Packs
I know at least Dutch and German would be appreciated, and there are probably more people would like.
_
"Are you alright?"
"I'm a little fucked up in general so its hard to tell."
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Technically, we /have/ the packs, they just look like crap. :)
Eva

Post by Eva »

Wildfire wrote:Thought of something else:

phpBB Language Packs
I know at least Dutch and German would be appreciated, and there are probably more people would like.
I would poll before you open them. I can't think of a Dutch user who'd browse the board in Dutch.
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

Okay, not a foreign language person, so have no idea how good they are, just noticed they aren't installed and thought someone might like them, an item for polling then :)

Have background of color picker pull-down in posting screen be color on black background. - Easy fix, begs the question do we want to make the background of the post entry box black with white text though?
The Traveler
Wuffle Trainer

Post by The Traveler »

Hmm...I was told to stand and be counted about the Lexicon by Eva, so here I am. HTML-wise, I could easily code the skeleton of this thing. PHP-wise, I'm not so sure. Both Adam and Wildfire said they knew of code snippets that could drive such a thing, so that's a thought too.

Refer to the Lexicon thread in the Embassy for the discussion we've had thus far on this.
Nexusvoid
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Nexusvoid »

*An avatar gallery that users can add to.
_
Kwyndig
Grand Marshall of the Imperium
Location: The Orbiting Volcano Lair, high above the surface of Bulldrek

Post by Kwyndig »

Nexusvoid wrote:*An avatar gallery that users can add to.
Wildfire, don't you have a gallery mod on your board? Could we adapt that?
kwyndig@yahoo.com This sig for rent, reasonable rates
Dennis
Bulldrekker

Post by Dennis »

It's a standard phpBB feature.
<iframe align="left" height="45" frameborder="0" name="deevsig" src="http://www.wiredreflexes.com/sig/wrx/wrx.html" width="100%"></iframe>
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

There was an Embassy thread about avatar galleries very recently - check that out for further discussion.

Wishlist item: For the line of links to each forum (at the bottom of every page) to include links to every forum you have access to, depending on your groups membership. Right now, for those of us volunteers who have access to the Farm, it doesn't include a link to it.
__
Eva

Post by Eva »

Nexusvoid wrote:*An avatar gallery that users can add to.
I didn't pay attention to the discussion in the Embassy, but after reading the thread, general consensus seems to be that an avatar database has no place here and takes up mad space. If I'm wrong, let me know and I'll add it to the Wishlist.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Ack, no.
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

Not an avatar gallery, no, what Kwyn is referring to I think is the Photo Gallery, a forum where users can create albums to upload pictures/graphics for other to see, like Gathering photo albums could go up there(except you'd loose captioning ability unless someone wanted to hack the code) If someone wanted, I suppose they could start a public album where people could upload their avatars if they wanted to, but since its all stored on the server space, that gets expensive in terms of hosting space real fast
_
"Are you alright?"
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

a no is down for avatar gallery from me.
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
Jestyr
Footman of the Imperium

Post by Jestyr »

A no from me as well.
__
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

I'd like to see a link to The Farm in the linklist at the bottom of the page, but only displayed for those who should see it.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Eva wrote:Have background of color picker pull-down in posting screen be color on black background.[/b]
Semi-random update, I've got code for this tested now, as well as making the word 'Default' actually display in the default color.

10:41 Kai: Ohayou minna
10:42 Adam: ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER! :)
10:44 Kai: Fuck off, how's that? ;P
10:45 Adam: Much better.
Salvation122

Post by Salvation122 »

Instead of a "Find all posts by user" under the Profile menu, a "Find all Topics" link that has only a list of the thread names with corresponding links.
Ryan Murphy
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by Ryan Murphy »

32: Hells yes. ;)

My wish? Killfiles, or the most modern equivalent. Yes, it'll never happen. Yes, I know it's against the spirit of the board. But I can't be the only one who would want them. I know that my Bulldrek experience would be enriched if I had the means to completely block certain elements...

Well, now that it's said, guess everyone can go on ignoring it as usual. Whee, unpopular ideas. :|
Adam
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Adam »

My thought is: If you want killfiles, you'll have to do the coding yourself. I can't think of many other people who have expressed a desire for them, and I remember Dennis posting a list of "things that need to be thought about before writing killfiles" list; it's not as simple as just not displaying posts from certain members.

Time to perk up those PHP skills. ;-)
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

A Revile-O-Meter. [The first order of business would be a new name.] Two small icons sit to the left of the username on every post, one a plus, and one a minus. When you read someone's post, and they really piss you off, you minus them. When you really appreciate something they've done, you plus them. Separate tallies would be kept for SST and Bulldrek, and the stats page could be changed to reflect things like highest and lowest in each, and greast difference between high and low in each. The userlist could be sorted by Revile, as well. A 1px height line could run under the username; the user would start centered on zero of overall - averaged - Revile, and could move left - lower - or right - higher - on the scale. The scale could be color coded in any gradient that was, you know, pretty.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

I think the Revile-O-Meter is a brilliant, if somewhat volatile, idea. And I love the name, I don't think it should be changed.
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

Topic/user ranking, yes, a fairly common thing implemented on boards and one that has about as much use as voting buttons on dating sites that ask "Am I Hot?". There's no way to log one vote per user or per topic, no way to prevent self-inflation of votes, and no way to make it useful, really. Its just formalized and public way to hold a popularity/pissing contest between some person and all their groupies to either raise someone's rank stupidly high or bash someone who they feel deserves it into the ground.

How bout we not do that?

As for killfiles, yes, the code would be insanely complicated as well as you'd have to store a complete listing of all the killfiled people for each user which is a bit ridiculous. There's just not enough of a demand for it to justify the effort it would take :)
_
"Are you alright?"
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Wildfire wrote:There's no way to log one vote per user or per topic, no way to prevent self-inflation of votes, and no way to make it useful, really.
Of course there is; the code from the voting system. Yes, there are ways around it, but if we don't tell everyone what they are, that won't be a problem. :)

Killfiles are, I think, out of the question.
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

Okay, technically, it could be done, not as complicated as the killfile, but almost just. There's a lot of data that needs to be kept for polls and voting and having it replicated across for every user is still a bit ridiculous. Concept wise, I'm still firmly against it as I can see nothing constructive coming of it.
_
"Are you alright?"
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

What, you've never heard of user ratings on eBay? :) But I get your point; don't worry, it's just an idea right now.
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

Yeah, but they wised up fast and got a nice chokehold on it with the required item number:) Now, see, if there was a way to restrict voting/ranking to 1 vote per person who actually posted to the thread, that would be worth it, but my mind kinda goes into meltdown trying to even think about the insane amount of code that would take :)
_
"Are you alright?"
Nigga JP
Bulldrekker

Post by Nigga JP »

I'd really like it if there was a button to change to background color from black to white, or a function like <a href="http://www.gamespot.com">Gamespot's</a> "Ice" feature. This is useful for me when I want to browse Bulldrek at work inconspicuously and don't want to use Ghostzilla. The black background just makes it really obvious that I'm not actually working.
Bitches aint shit but hoes and tricks - lick on these balls and suck the dick
Kwyndig

Post by Kwyndig »

Have you tried the [inverted] board style? You can adjust the 'skin' of the board under your Profile.
Nigga JP
Bulldrekker

Post by Nigga JP »

Kwyndig wrote:Have you tried the [inverted] board style? You can adjust the 'skin' of the board under your Profile.
I hadn't before, but that really did the trick! Thanks!! :D
Bitches aint shit but hoes and tricks - lick on these balls and suck the dick
Kwyndig

Post by Kwyndig »

Always happy to be of help Image
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I have been reading this thread on and off, and until earls suggestion I have been just sort of, well yeah thats cool. But the revile-o-meter is top notch! A truly sweet idea.