Lexicon

Users should come to the Embassy to make all suggestions, bug reports, complaints, and anything else relating to the forum itself. The Embassy Control staff will take all issues seriously. Or kill you. One of the two. Possibly both.

Should we build a Lexicon?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 04, 2002 6:16 pm

Yes.
100%
No.
No votes

Total votes: 18
No-Life Loser

Lexicon

Post by 3278 »

I've been thinking, since the board opened, about having a static page called the Lexicon that would be basically a thing we could point to to say, "This is what we've all agreed something is named, or defined as." It's mostly, obviously, an SST thing, but we're always repeating ourselves or dredging up old threads to point people at the definitions of some damned thing or another.

Commonly-used arguments would be nice to keep, too. The GitM/AE Nihilistic Paradox is the one that always comes to mind for me - with the knives and the asses and such, you know - but I'm sure there are others that other people have thought of.

Some easily-defined terms I can think of off the top of my head would be all the flavors of atheist and theist and deist and agnostic and so on, so that new people - or old people who never knew - can have the Definitive Bulldrek Definition™ of all those things. As time goes on, when issues are resolved and agreements made and no one ever wants to discuss some issue again, Marius or Bethy or some other poor volunteer could write an abstract people could link to, to avoid discussing the same damned issue over and over.

Anyway, let me know what you think.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

I'm for it, I like to have all the classics compiled in one place. Also, it's good for Eva's HTML gimping practices. Pretty soon I'll let her code parts of my page, too! ;)
Wildfire
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Wildfire »

Sounds like a plan to me
_
"Are you alright?"
"I'm a little fucked up in general so its hard to tell."
Salvation122
Grand Marshall of the Imperium

Post by Salvation122 »

I would vote "yes," but also submit that we should include threads that helped define us as a community, like the Best and Worst Time of Your Life threads, What Do You Want, and What Makes You Happy. (Shameless self-promotion ends here.)
Memory
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Memory »

Salvation122 wrote:I would vote "yes," but also submit that we should include threads that helped define us as a community, like the Best and Worst Time of Your Life threads, What Do You Want, and What Makes You Happy. (Shameless self-promotion ends here.)
Sal I'll put those type of threads onto the new link page. (If I get to play with it. ;)) As discussed in Bethy's suggestion thread. I think 3-2's talking about a page of terms rather than a page of Bulldrek defining threads. That's /my/ page. :D
_<font color="#5C7898">"You know, Memory?
I'd have to say that you are one cool, fucked-up guy.
Just like the rest of us.
It's a pleasure reading your posts in the morning over a cup of coffee. “ – JetPlane</font>
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

That's my page? Go Memory! :D

Ok but how easy would it be to get a term redefined when a new user comes in or an old user wants to bring it up again? I can see 5 posts saying, "Look at the Lexicon, stupid" and the term never changing.
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Adam
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Adam »

I like the idea. I do think that it needs to be done carefully; it needs to be well stated as "This is the opinion that many of the group have reached, it is not The Final Word, but please make sure you're familiar with what we mean before you talk about what you think it means" - 32, you'll recognize this argument, because you used it when people suggested a Shadowrun FAQ buit on DRF/DSF :)
Salvation122 wrote:I would vote "yes," but also submit that we should include threads that helped define us as a community, like the Best and Worst Time of Your Life threads, What Do You Want, and What Makes You Happy. (Shameless self-promotion ends here.)
This may be something to do elsewhere, but I don't know if it belongs in the Lexicon. While I find these threads interesting at the time they are posted, I tend to think that they may not be great long-term references.

While I post freely to Bulldrek and other online message boards with the knowledge that everything I post may be committed to someones grey matter or computer memory, some people have demonstrated that they are not so comfortable with this fact.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

*what Adam said*
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Sorrow
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Sorrow »

The good threads links is being discussed elsewhere in the Embassy and should be dealt with seperately.

BTW, I trust we can take it as read that there will not be a description of "wuffle" in the Lexicon?
<hr size=1 color=#5c7898><font face=font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" color=#6600FF>The more I overcome, the stronger I become
- Angel of Ruin<a href=http:\/www.chaosengine.com>.</a></font>
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

There'd better not be!
</font>
spudman
Bulldrekker

Lexicon++;

Post by spudman »

Adam wrote:when people suggested a Shadowrun FAQ buit on DRF/DSF :)
A spelling mistake? That's unpossible! :D

I like the idea of a Bulldrek Lexicon; I haven't been reading the boards long enough (much less posting) to catch all of the in-jokes, jargon terms, nicknames, etc.
Eva
Baron of the Crimson Assfro

Re: Lexicon++;

Post by Eva »

spudman wrote:..the in-jokes, jargon terms, nicknames, etc.
Will the Lexicon be covering those?
One time I built a matter transporter, but things got screwed up (long story, lol) and I ended up turning into a kind of half-human, half-housefly monstrosity.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

I would think it would be a good idea to have a couple sections; one for Bulldrek stuff, and one for SST stuff.

"But I could be wrong. I don't know. I'm pretty drunk." Toby Ziegler :)
Van Der Litreb
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by Van Der Litreb »

No! No, I say! *clicks 'Yes'* Crap!
\m/
Szechuan
No-Life Loser

Post by Szechuan »

Though I think it's a good idea... *votes yes*
This has the potential to get very big very, very fast, and most people aren't going to be in the mood to sift through it all before they start posting...
Last edited by Szechuan on Sat Aug 03, 2002 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlameBlade
SMITE!™ Master

Post by FlameBlade »

psst....Szechuan was busy posting again.
_I'm a nightmare of every man's fantasy.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

* DV8 looks at his drinks and decides to post what the drinks tell him too!

Yes!