Keep on the Borderlands, GURPS-ified

A forum for discussing all roleplaying games, from Shadowrun to Bunnies and Burrows. For clarity, please state the name of the game you're discussing in the subject line.
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Keep on the Borderlands, GURPS-ified

Post by Bonefish »

Keep on the Borderlands was one of the first D&D modules I owned, and I derived great satisfaction from it, but it is a part of my infancy in role playing. I've always wanted to run a GURPS game set in the module, adapting it for GURPS, but keeping that sort of feel. Also, I figure it makes as good as any entry point for GURPS, as it allows one to distill the game to the vital elements needed, while also offering enough nuance.

To keep the game simple, while showcasing some of the strengths I find with GURPS, I opted for a relatively low points level(100 points), which I feel allows the PCs to be somewhat capable, but streamlined and focused. I've seen games where they hand a player new to GURPS a character sheet with 15+ skills, a host of advantages and equipment, and I think it just overwhelms people. Too much "crunch" as Jeff once put. To give variety, I decided to creat 12 characters, allowing multiple shades of a theme(Combat with 4, Stealth with 3, Magic with 5), including a few that are a little dual purpose.

These Characters are:
The Strongman: A massive giant of a man with a kind heart and a healthy appetite. His strengths are simple: he's a big blunt object, capable of soaking up and dishing out a lot of damage.
The Dwarf: A traveling dwarf who alternates between soldier and Builder. He's a doughty, capable fighter, though intolerant of elves and stubborn.
The Knight: The youngest son of a Noble family, the Knight has no lands or possessions other than a sword, mail and horse. He's skilled, strong and confident(perhaps overly so) in his ability.
The Man-at-Arms: A seasoned veteran of War, the Man at Arms is a rounded warrior, skilled with crossbows, Swords, shields and Pole-arms. He's well armored and boasts the greatest defenses of the fighters.

The Woodsman: A skilled man of the wilds, the Woodsman is an excellent shot with the bow, and knows how to keep one alive in the wilds. The stealth he displays in hunting is equally suited for battle, as he's lightly encumbered and deadly from range.
The Thief: the classic ne'er do well, the Thief is in it for the money, taken from wherever he can get it. He's glib, agile and more than capable of picking locks and climbing into second stories, while remaining deadly with his knives, both in melee and when thrown.
The Halfling: Curious to see the world, the Halfling has survived many scrapes due to his agility, size and bravery. While not as felonious as the Thief, the halfling is certainly a sneak.

The Bard: A wandering minstrel, the Bard bolsters the heart of his allies while charming his hosts. His wit and cunning often leave his enemies stunned.
The Hedge Witch: an old, hideous creature, the Hedge Witch compels truth from those she wishes, and utters savage curses that leave her foes Blind or in excruciating pain. She is also a master of concoting many and strange remedies and poisons from natural ingredients.
The Sorcerer: Controlling primordial, elemental forces by sheer wil land intuition, the Sorcerer impales his enemies with lethal icicles, burns them alive with gouts of flame, or shocks them with a grasp. He frightens people.
The Elf: Thin and agile, the Elf is skileld with sword and bow, but also knows many arcane secrets, conjuring webs to bind the body, or chains of sleep to bind the mind.
I suspect that people who speak or write properly are up to no good, or homersexual, or both
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

Walter, Man at Arms

Walter has seen many battles, and they have left their scars, both physical and mental. His sleep is light and troubled, while a jagged scar on his face renders him instantly recognizable. Walter serves no Lord, fighting as a mercenary for those who he finds tolerable, and those who can pay him. He is a sucker for a hard luck story, and even at his most destitute will attempt to help those who ask him for aid.

While a Mercenary, Walter does adhere to a code: He shall defend the interests of his Lord so long as he is paid, and he stays paid. He will never desert a close comrade, he maintains his equipment regularly and ensures he is prepared for battle and he treats civilians and grants quarter to those who request.

ST 11 HP 11 Swing 1d+1 Thrust 1d-1
DX 11 Per 12
IQ 10 Will 13
HT 12 FP 12

Basic Speed 5.75, Basic Move 5, Dodge 9, Block 13, Parry(sword) 12, Parry(halberd) 9

Advantages: Combat Reflexes(+1 to Active Defenses, +2 vs Fright Checks. You never freeze when surprised, and have +6 to wake up or recover from Surprise or mental Stun. Your side has +1 iniative, +2 if you are the leader), Fit(+1 to all HT rolls. You also recover FP twice as fast), Rapid Healing( +5 to recover from crippling injuries or to recover lost HP), Grip Mastery(Halberd)(Once per round, before or after you attack, you may change your reach, or switch between regular and defensive grip, as a free action)

Disadvantages: Code of Honor(Mercenary), Light Sleeper(roll HT when attempting to sleep in an uncomfortable place, or with the slightest noise. While sleeping, your Per is unpenalized, and you will wake up if you roll a successful perception roll. You may try to fall asleep again, as above, but you must fail a sense roll first) , Slow Riser(-2 to self-control and -1 to IQ and all IQ based skills for 1 hour after waking from any sleep longer than 1 hour), Nightmares(Upon waking, roll against self control(12). If you fail you suffered nightmares and lose 1 FP that can only be regained by sleep. On a 17 or 18 you are shaken; -1 to all skill and Perception rolls that day), Compulsive generosity(You always help beggars, and you give generously. When responding to large requests, roll against Self Control(12 or under), +1 reaction from Pious people), Sense of Duty(Party)(You never betray your party, and render aid when needed)

Quirks: Careful, Responsive, Distinctive Features(scar on face)

Skills
Crossbow 12, DX/E, DX+1
Sword 12, DX/A, DX +1
Shield 14, DX/E, DX +3
Polearm 11, DX/A, DX

Intimidation 12, Will/A, Will -1
Soldier 11, IQ/A, IQ
Hiking 12, HT/A, HT
Armory(Melee Weapons) 9, IQ/A, IQ -1
Armor(Armor) 9, IQ/A, IQ -1

Cheap Broadsword(+2 to Breakage)
Swing 1d+2 Cutting, reach 1, 3lbs, ST 10
Thrust 1d+1 Impaling, reach 1, 3lbs, ST 10
Shortened Halberd
Axe Swing 2d+1 Cutting, Reach 1, 2*, 10lbs, ST 13(-1 to Hit)
Back Spike 2d Impalling, Reach 1,2*, ST 12(-1 to hit)
Thrusting Spike 1d+2, Reach 1,2*, ST 11
* Requires ready to change reach
Wooden Round Shield, 7lbs, DB 2
Mail Hauberk with attached coif: This heavy mail hauberk protects the torso, including the groin and the uppe arms(5-6 on an arm hit protects). When the coif is up, it protects the skull and neck, and the face from attacks from behind. DR4*(-2 vs crushing), 25.35lbs.*Flexible

Iron Hat: Protects the skull, and the face on a 6, rising to 5-6 against attacks from above. DR 4. 4.8lbs.

Padded cap: worn under the coif, provides +1DR, Hard of Hearing while layered under coif. 1.8lbs

Small Backpack(holds up to 40lbs), 3lbs
Blanket, 4lbs; waterskin, .25 empty, +8lbs gallon of water; Personal Basics(flint and steel, knife and spoon, comb), 1lb; Whetsone, 1lb; 1day of old bread and cheese

Boots: Protects the feet and leg(on 1-2), DR 2*, 2lbs
*Flexible

With Halberd, and shield you are Medium Encumbered: Move 3, Dodge 7
Without Halberd you are Light Encumbered: Move 4, Dodge 8(10 with shield)
Overland you are Heavy Encumbered: Move 2, Dodge 6

You may attack with your shield at full skill. A shield bash does 1d-1 Crushing and is reach C. A shield slam does +1 damage. A shield push does 1d double knockback, but no real damage)

Defensive grip: +1 to parry attacks from the front, -1 to parry attacks from the side. -1 to Breakage, Swing damage is at -2 or -1 damage per die, whichever is greater.
Last edited by Bonefish on Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
I suspect that people who speak or write properly are up to no good, or homersexual, or both
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

That's excellent: keep it up. I'm maybe going to have to run a game of my own one of these days, and maybe I could use this.
Bonefish
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Bonefish »

Raymond, Poor Knight

Raymond is the youngest son of Sir Henri de Hauteville. Raymond's sole inheritance takes the form an a battered sword given to him by his father, a coat of mail from one of his brothers and a rouncey(a form of light, general purpose horse). He has the benefit of a childhood spent in the household of men of war, and he's ridden into a few battles as a squire. He has yet to prove himself as a true knight, but confident in his skills he has left his father's household to seek fame, glory and an inheritance.

Raymond is intensely proud of his accomplishments, acutely aware of his priveliged station in life by dint of his skill at arms, which is considerable. Raymond believes in the virtues of chivalry: absolute bravery on the battlefield, bearing pain and injury without complaint, to protect those who cannot protect themselves, to always fight on fair terms with honorouble foes of equal standing, consider your Lord's person to be you own and take his foes as your own.

Raymond is a tall, well built young man with noticeably bowed legs from long years in the saddle.

ST 12 HP 12 Swing 1d+2 Thrust 1d-1
DX 10 Per 10
IQ 10 Wil 13
HT 11 FP 11

Basic Speed 5.25 Basic Move 5 Dodge 8

Status 1(As a Knight, he recives +1 to reaction rolls from his status, so long as he maintains the cost of living for his status. If he does not maintain his cost of living, he gains no bonus in reactions with Peasants, and suffers -1 reaction in encounters with Nobility)
Wealth(Comfortable)
Grip Mastery
Armor Familiarity(Judo)(You may ignore -1 in encumberance penalties to Judo)

Code of Honor(Chivalry)
Over Confidence(When you show an unreasonable amount of caution, roll against self control(12). On a failure, you go ahead with your plan of action.)
Sense of Duty(Party)(You never betray your adventuring party. You will offer aid when needed.

Sword-12, DX/A, DX +2
Two-handed sword-14, DX/A, DX+4
Spear-12, DX/A, DX +2
Riding-12, DX/A, DX+2
Judo-14, DX/H, DX+4
Savoir-Faire(high society)-11, IQ/A, IQ+1
Heraldy-10, IQ/A, IQ

Bastard Sword
Onehanded Swing 1d+3 cutting, Reach 1,2, 5lbs, ST11
Thrust 1d+1 impaling Reach 2
Two-handed Swing 2d cutting, Reach 1, 2, ST10
Thrust 1d+2 impaling, reach 2
Mail Hauberk with attached coif: This heavy mail hauberk protects the torso, including the groin and the uppe arms(5-6 on an arm hit protects). When the coif is up, it protects the skull and neck, and the face from attacks from behind. DR4*(-2 vs crushing), 26.25lbs.*Flexible

Padded cap: worn under the coif, provides +1DR, Hard of Hearing while layered under coif. 1.8lbs

Mail Hauberk with attached coif: This heavy mail hauberk protects the torso, including the groin and the arms with full length sleeves. When the coif is up, it protects the skull and neck, and the face from attacks from behind. DR4*(-2 vs crushing), 2.5lbs.*Flexible

Iron Hat: Protects the skull, and the face on a 6, rising to 5-6 against attacks from above. DR 4. 4.8lbs.

Saddle Bag(holds up to 40lbs), 3lbs
Blanket, 4lbs; waterskin, .25 empty, +8lbs gallon of water; Personal Basics(flint and steel, knife and spoon, comb), 1lb; Whetsone, 1lb; 1day of old bread and cheese

Boots: Protects the feet and leg(on 1-2), spurs: +1 to control mount, DR 2*, 2lbs
*Flexible

Horse with Saddle and tack, bit and bridle, horse shoes, stirrups and saddle bags.

Light encumbered: Move 4, Dodge 7
Mounted Move 3/12