Shadowrun editions and ownership

A forum for discussing all roleplaying games, from Shadowrun to Bunnies and Burrows. For clarity, please state the name of the game you're discussing in the subject line.
paladin2019
Bulldrek Pimp

Shadowrun editions and ownership

Post by paladin2019 »

I just downloaded the SR plug-in for Hero Lab and it notes the Topps copyright as 2005-2011.

Does Topps only hold copyright on stuff produced in that time period? What about new material for older editions?

Not just random curiosity. I'd like to know what the ramifications of distributing a SR3 plug-in, for example.
-call me Andy, dammit
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

My understanding is that the copyrights (except for moral rights) transfer along with the sale of the property, so Topps owns the copyright to all previously published material - they're just affirming their ownership of the material produced since they bought the property.
Nicephorus
Bulldrekker

Post by Nicephorus »

Ancient History wrote:My understanding is that the copyrights (except for moral rights) transfer along with the sale of the property
I think that's true unless the copyright is in the author's name. In that case, the specifics of the contracts determine if the contract is still valid with the new company. For example, when Avalon Hill went under and then got bought, many of it's games were by outside designers and the rights reverted to them.
Sorry. I meant "psychometric analysis" in the Biblical sense. - Tip Wilkin.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Tell me about this hero Lab? and these plug ins? Just curious, as I am in the market for an SR4 character generator.