The Heroscape Thread

A forum for discussing all roleplaying games, from Shadowrun to Bunnies and Burrows. For clarity, please state the name of the game you're discussing in the subject line.
Serious Paul
Devil

The Heroscape Thread

Post by Serious Paul »

Recently my Roleplaying group has also started playing some Heroscape, a game we all seem to agree upon that D&D 4e aspire to be like. We've greatly enjoyed it, despite our initial misgivings.

For the price we, as a group, have laid out-so far-it's been well worth it. While we've universally agreed as a group that WoTC has marketed the game wrong, and missed a few opportunities (Why haven't they marketed GI Joe, and other properties?)-we've also enjoyed the games we've played so far.

Have any of you played? This thread will also serve as a place for after action reports from games, discussion on tactics, etc...
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I'm hoping to play a few games this week or so, after getting hurt at work I have some extra free time in which I can't quite get around like I'd like to.
Big Jim
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Big Jim »

Huh. I've never played, but I'm really interested in hearing how your group likes it, and what they like about it, given the sorts of games you normally play.
And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

It's really mindless fun. Sort of like a complicated 3D chess. It's nice, but only as long as it doesn't cut into our game time. I think we all come to the "table" for different reasons.

Personally I like not having to think-I spend a great deal of time planning my games. In Heroscape often all you have to do is pick Armies and battle it out. The hardest and longest part is often building the 3D terrain. I like it because it's fun, modular and pretty mindless.

I'll try to get the others to post up their own takes if I can.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Big Jim wrote:Huh. I've never played, but I'm really interested in hearing how your group likes it, and what they like about it, given the sorts of games you normally play.
This post is a good example of what we're thinking about while we're doing it, and sort of how we play, or at least how I do. Ultimately, I think it boils down to Heroscape being the opposite of what we like about roleplaying: this is just pure tactics, simple effectiveness. When we're roleplaying, tactics takes a backseat to characterization - ideally - and thus is a lot more complicated and convoluted. Heroscape is just complicated 3D chess, like Paul says, and so it's nice, simple fun.

I wouldn't spend any money on it, and I sure as hell wouldn't sacrifice a minute of roleplaying time for it. It's fun, but it's so not as fun as roleplaying. Fortunately, we know people who will spend money on it, so when there's a free night with nothing better going on, it's a good time.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

My kids love Heroscape. I snagged two Master sets, and one small expansion set-so far. (I have two more small expansion packs on the way, and wll likely order more.) My 9 year old daughter kicks ass, and is a smart tactician, and strategist. My other daughter, and my son just like picking "Flashy" characters. (Bigger is better in their book, so Dragons, Robots, and other over sized characters. They fill in the points with whatever else strikes their fancy.)

So far we've played three games, and I've lost them all. The first game I went easy on them, but frankly there is no reason to-they kicked my ass. The last two games it was all out war, and even though I looked like I was going to win at points they stomped me with a combination of good luck, good die rolls and strong strategy. (They've quickly discovered this is a game of attack.)

So as a starting introduction into the Hobby I give Heroscape a resounding recommendation.