[Dungeons and Dragons]Elemental Effects.

A forum for discussing all roleplaying games, from Shadowrun to Bunnies and Burrows. For clarity, please state the name of the game you're discussing in the subject line.
Serious Paul
Devil

[Dungeons and Dragons]Elemental Effects.

Post by Serious Paul »

Say I have a bow that is capable of using an elemental or energy effect. How do I determine what damage it does?

So in this example I have a a bow that uses sonic energy as a damage modifier. And I use it on a creature that has no particular resistance to sonic energy, do I just deal a set die roll of damage or is there, like in SR, a set of secondary effects?
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

A set damage die. For example, a +1 flaming longbow for a medium creature does 1d8+1 regular damage and 1d6 fire damage. As for secondary effects, that's up to DM ruling and what you're trying to do. We've used acid weapons to melt through locks (but it took a long, long time)
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Is there any kind of, say, description of the effects? Like "sonic" for instance?

Coming from SR, where elemental effects were spelled out in detail, I have a hard time understanding that the tactical wargaming system doesn't have some kind of rule for "flame weapons also cause one-quarter their initial damage every round thereafter until put out," or, "Cold weapons slow a target," or some damned thing. Just another 1d6 damage, and then a bunch of creatures who resist or are vulnerable to those effects, seems like a rip-off.

We usually do these things on GM ruling, like Fireball setting fire to grasses and trees and wagons and such, but I just can't believe there's no rule to fall back on.
Reika
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Reika »

The description is usually under whatever the elemental effect is under the magical weapons section of the DMG. Flaming is +1d6 fire damage, Frost is +1d6 ice damage, etc. The Burst ones do damage on crit and the higher crit multiplier the more elemental damage that does.

Secondary effects would be entirely up to the GM.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Reika wrote:The description is usually under whatever the elemental effect is under the magical weapons section of the DMG. Flaming is +1d6 fire damage, Frost is +1d6 ice damage, etc.
The fact that you use the term "description" for that shows you spent too much time playing D&D. :lol I mean, seriously, would it have broken the bank for them to include one sentence describing what "ice damage" and "sonic damage" are? Ghey.
Cazmonster
No-Life Loser

Post by Cazmonster »

Most of the elemental weapon damage is colorful and not tactical. A d6 or d8 of effect, when available level-wise, is only worth so much in game. Sure, you hit the right creature with the right effect and you can double, or triple that on a crit, but that is about it.

Spells will have specific elemental effects detailed.
<a href="http://heftywrenches.wordpress.com">Agent Zero Speaks!</a>
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Caz: Additional dice (elemental effects, sneak attack, etc) aren't multiplied on a crit. Only the base weapon's damage and any non-die modifiers (magical enhancement, high Str, etc) are.

However, what Caz said about the the spell/equipment listing any specific elemental effects is correct. Some spells will deal fire damage, but won't have a chance for secondary elemental effects, like Fireball. Some will and that will be noted in the spell's (or equipment or monster's ability) description.
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>