[Dungeons and Dragons]Grappling?

A forum for discussing all roleplaying games, from Shadowrun to Bunnies and Burrows. For clarity, please state the name of the game you're discussing in the subject line.
Serious Paul
Devil

[Dungeons and Dragons]Grappling?

Post by Serious Paul »

Can someone out line just what differentiates Grappling from an Unarmed Melee attack? I think am clear on this but I want to make sure I am right before proceeding.
Eliahad
Squire of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eliahad »

Grappling involves wasting more time looking up the extra rules than an unarmed attack.

(I don't have 3.5 so I don't know how it's changed.)
Chocolate sauce on a buttery nipple. *Bliss*
lordhellion
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by lordhellion »

Grappling is wrestling/subduing/tying up, while unarmed attack is striking (punches, kicks, and what-have-you), by my interpretation.
_No one was ever put in a history book for being a great conformist.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Eliahad wrote:Grappling involves wasting more time looking up the extra rules than an unarmed attack.
That's D&D in 14 words.
TheScamp
Wuffle Trainer

Post by TheScamp »

Grappling requires more rolls to resolve. However, it also provides some other combat options.

A normal unarmed attack is made just like your generic attack roll: d20 + modifiers vs target's AC.

To start a grapple, you have to first make an unarmed attack roll vs the target's touch AC, not their normal AC. Without Improved Grapple, the target gets an attack of opportunity. The AoO cancels the grapple if it does damage.

Then, you need an opposed d20 roll from attacker and potential victim. If the attacker wins, he does unarmed damage and can then move into the target's space and they're officially all wrapped up together. You then get some combat options, which are listed in the PHB.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

3278: Ever play StarFleet Battles? D&D is rock-paper-scissors compared to that game.
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>