[Shadowrun]Tampa: Bright City Lights

A forum for discussing all roleplaying games, from Shadowrun to Bunnies and Burrows. For clarity, please state the name of the game you're discussing in the subject line.
Serious Paul
Devil

[Shadowrun]Tampa: Bright City Lights

Post by Serious Paul »

Jeff Hauze wrote:So, here's what I've been slowly chipping away on for SR recently. It's only a very rough draft, and just barely started. But eventually, Tampa will likely be the new setting of choice for me in SR. I'll post the info up for now and work on slowly adding to it and discussing it as I can. Away we go.
Tampa

City at a Glance (all population figures are approximate figures, and based from the 2070 Census)

Current Population – 3,360,019

Racial Populations
Human – 72.5 % (2,436,014)
Elf – 12 % (403,202)
Dwarf – 4 % (134,401)
Ork – 8 % (268,802)
Troll – 3 % (67,200)
Other – 0.5 % (16,800)

Ethnic Populations
White – 71 % (2,385,613)
Black – 11 % (369,602)
Hispanic – 14.08 % (473,091)
American Indian and Eskimo – 0.2 % (6,720)
Asian – 2.7 % (90,721)
Hawaiian and Pacific Islanders – 0.02 % (672)
Other/Two or More Races – 1 % (33,600)

Getting In and Out

Road

Three major interstates bring road traffic into and through the City of Tampa Bay. Interstate 4 brings in traffic from the eastern coast of Florida, through Orlando and Kissimmee. This road sees the most traffic of a commercial nature, dealing with moving goods from Tampa’s ports to Orlando and points north in CAS.

Interstate 75 passes through the northern borders of the Tampa City limits at Route 54 just northeast of the suburb of Lutz. This major commuter highway splits off into Interstates 275 and 75 just south of Route 54. Interstate 75 continues southeast through Seffner, Brandon, Riverview and Gibsonton before passing the southern border of the city north of Apollo Beach. Interstate 75 then traverses the length and width of the state of Florida; eventually passing through Port Charlotte, Bonita Springs, and Naples before reaching Miami in the Caribbean League.

Interstate 275 passes through portions of Downtown Tampa before crossing the Howard Franklin Bridge into St. Petersburg. The highway continues through south through St. Petersburg and moves back across Tampa Bay via the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. Roughly three-quarters of the bridge falls within the city limits, while the other portion (along with that portion of the Bay) is covered by the city of Terra Ceia. The highway then passes through Terra Ceia before rejoining Interstate 75 west of Rubonia.

Rail

Three regional rail lines provide access into and around the city of Tampa Bay. The Northern Red Line runs smaller fuel and electric cell powered trains and trams south from the origin point of North Brooksville. This line passes south through Brooksville, mostly following route 41 through Lutz and points south. It then parallels Interstate 275 until reaching the four way (Clover) exchange in the southwestern corner of Ybor City. Passenger trains move west towards the major transit hub of Union Station in downtown Tampa. Commercial units often continue southeast to the two major shipping and commercial hubs (North Gibsonton and Gibsonton) along the South Tamiami Trail. These hubs provide shipping containers to the extensive Gibsonton docks, as well as other commercial transit methods (road, rail, and air via Tampa International Airport). Additional commercial rail lines continue south and east from these two hubs to Miami (Caribbean League) and Port St. Lucie.

The City Blue Line runs passenger and metro style trains, powered by Gridguide systems. The line runs a loop starting from Union Station in the downtown district. The northern leg of the loop runs along aside the commercial Red Line until it branches off at Busch Blvd. It then moves west, passing through Tarpon, Oldsmar, and eventually south through Clearwater. This northern leg continues southwest from Clearwater, moving through the St. Petersburg District and eventually terminates just across from Tropicana Field at the Tropicana Station.

The Green Line is a high-speed maglev train that moves east from Union Station, utilizing two separate multi-line tracks that run parallel along 7th Avenue. As 7th Avenue and Broadway Ave combine, the two lines begin moving in different directions. One heads southeast towards Port St. Lucie and Miami, while the upper track heads towards Kissimmee and Orlando. Both commercial cargo and passenger trains run on these high-speed lines, though the higher price obviously keeps some customers from utilizing this service.

Air

Numerous airports handle the substantial air traffic found in and around the city, but two major airports handle the larger commercial and passenger vessels. Tampa International Airport (TPA) is the only airport in Tampa currently capable of handling the sub-orbital and semi-ballistic craft used for rapid passenger transport in the 21st century. It holds a place of prestige among the denizens of the city, offering a wide variety of both passenger and cargo airlines.

St. Petersburg/Clearwater International Airport (PIE) also handles all types of air traffic, though it cannot handle sub-orbital craft. This has forced SPCI into a secondary role in the city, something that causes the two districts’ Council representatives to grind their teeth. As of 2070, no current plans exist to expand SPCI to handle sub-orbital craft. This will leave the airport out in the cold for a large percentage of the passenger market, forcing SPCI to remain a second-rate primarily commercial traffic facility.

Two smaller airports exist to serve additional air traffic, particularly city transit VTOL craft. Peter O Knight Airport on the Davis Islands (Downtown District) and Albert Whitted Airport serve as the major municipal airports for the city.

Boat

It is called Tampa *Bay* after all. The amount of boat and naval access to Tampa is near limitless. However, we’re only going to deal with the major boatyards/docks. On the commercial side, two shipyards handle the majority of the larger cargo haulers. The Port of Tampa Bay (Downtown District) can handle all types of commercial and passenger vessels. Gibsonton Central Port (Riverview District) also handles the same class of vessels, but typically sees far more commercial traffic than any other type. Gibsonton Centra Port also seems to be the preferred docking place for smugglers and pirates who are selling their wares in Tampa. Buccaneer Pointe Shipyards (Downtown District) can handle medium size cargo vessels, but typically sees mostly passenger vessels and civilian watercraft.

Dozens of smaller docks, yacht clubs, and boat yards handle the large volume of civilian watercraft and small passenger transports found on Tampa’s waterways. The most prominent of these is the Isla Del Sol Yacht Club (St. Petersburg District), which handles the large majority of the city’s luxury watercraft and private yachts. This is also the home of the annual Rigatta Del Luna, Tampa’s famous non-powered boat race. Safety Harbor Boatyards (Clearwater District) is the home of the lower income fishermen and tourist lines that trawl the Bay. It also sees a great deal of quasi-legal water racers and smugglers, along with Buccaneer Pointe Shipyards (Downtown District).

Getting Around

Road

Tampa’s road system isn’t quite as overdeveloped as some of the larger metroplexes like Seattle and Denver. However, the organized chaos that makes up the infrastructure of the city doesn’t resemble anything found in either of those cities. The city’s roads tend towards the style of Miami’s streets, with wide streets focused more on style than substance. Slow curving boulevards often follow canals and inlets, attempting to provide some scenic driving routes. Don’t mistake the streets of Tampa for old-fashioned though. These streets hold the usual assortment of Grid Guide systems, cameras, traffic sensors, and automated tracking systems. But the city has tried to keep true to its South Florida/Gulf Coast roots, both in its architecture and infrastructure.

The city also runs a rather large busing system to handle the metroplex’s public transportation needs.

Air

Air transit is fairly common in Tampa, with around a dozen different companies providing various types of transport for hire. Most of these are small operators with only a few vehicles that provide public transit for the citizens through local government contracts or hire out to corporate executives and VIPs. Many corporations also have their own private aircraft that are used throughout the metroplex. The price still keeps this method of travel out of the hands of the lower income levels, but the popularity of this method of travel continues to grow.

Rail

There is no subway or monorail system that runs throughout Tampa, other than the previously mentioned Blue and Green Lines. However, the Downtown district also holds the historical TECO Line Streetcar system. This environmentally friendly electric powered streetcar system runs through Ybor City and the Channel section the Downtown district. The streetcars are modern creations, but resemble models used in Tampa during the early 20th century. The trains are meant more for tourism than actual public transportation, due to their slow speed.

Boat

As expected, the city runs several ferry services throughout the metroplex’s waterways. Private companies and corporate services also support the large aquatic transit system found throughout Tampa. A full overview of these services would be beyond the scope of this document. Of course, private citizens of all income levels also have their own watercraft that allows for even more transit possibilities.

Weather and Climate

The city’s climate is subtropical, with only rare occurrences of frost and snow. The highs typically range between 65 and 95 degrees Fahrenheit, with the lows occasionally going below 32 degrees Fahrenheit. The few cold seasons that the area faces pose a great risk to the area’s agriculture and aquaculture. Summer temperatures have never risen above 100 degrees Fahrenheit. The record high and low temperatures are 99 degrees and 18 degrees respectively.

Tampa has only suffered through one blizzard and a handful of “major” snow accumulations (often such snow storms leave less than an inch of snow). However, extreme warm weather conditions are a real concern in the city. Most summer afternoons bring the chance of a severe thunderstorm that can easily unleash high winds, hail, and torrential rain. Tornadoes are not common in the region, but have occurred often enough to spring up in recent memory. The city itself is known as the “Lightning Capital of North America”, and these summer thunderstorms often move out into Gulf of Aztlan as spectacular lightshows. Fog can also be another common side effect of these storms, especially in the rainy season. Tampa’s rain season typically runs between July and September, often reaching over 20 inches of rainfall during this time. Summer months are often hot with high humidity marks, rarely dropping below 75 degrees Fahrenheit. The rest of the year, the city tends to see moderate temperatures and abundant sunshine.

Of course, Tampa is located on the Gulf Coast. This puts the city directly in the common area of effect for Atlantic based hurricanes and tropical storms. The usual hurricane season runs from June 1 to November 30 and peaks in September. Tampa often feels the effects of such tropical systems every two to three years. However, the city has not suffered a direct hit by a hurricane since 2054. Since that time, a great deal of work has been done to keep the city as protected as possible from even the fiercest hurricanes. In reality though, the best chance Tampa has for survival is to evacuate the city. No matter how strong the protective measures are, Tampa is a city that has most of its downtown area within five feet of sea level. In a category four or five hurricane, storm surges could easily reach 20 to 30 feet in height.

Government

The city of Tampa runs on a strong mayor form of government. The mayor is the power in this town, and even all the years of upheaval haven’t changed that fact. As the city expanded though, the requirements to keep the metroplex under control grew. The city changed to a district representation style of city council, allowing a district’s group of aldermen to vote into office the district’s city council representative. The city council plays second fiddle to the mayor’s power, though they do hold the purse strings under their grasp. Each year’s operating budget must be approved by the city council. The aldermen in each district report to their district’s city council rep, and are voted on by the general population much the same as the mayoral position.
Additionally, here's the map of the city. Still a work in progress obviously.

Enjoy
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Jeff wrote:Yeah, I'm working on it. I'm not incredibly fast on putting out information like this when it comes to creating a new setting. I tend to be a bit pedantic (see above as a great example) and second-guess what I write. So sections get rewritten multiple times before I'm happy with them.

The general outline? It's probably easier to compare Tampa differs from SR's canon version of Seattle. First thing? No fucking Barrens. Low-income, poverty striken areas? Absolutely. Things that make mid-80's Beirut look like a cakewalk? Yeah...not so much. (One thing I always wanted GMs to explain to me in SR. If the Barrens, Redmond or Puyallup, are so poor that people are fighting over grocery store shipments and scraps of food....who the hell has all the money to buy the guns that inevitable end up being more common than people in the Barrens?)

I'm going for a bit different feel here, so overall, we're going to see a bit more money spread throughout the city. Even though OC is generally my big area of interest in SR, I haven't quite figured out how I'm handling that yet. Likely a larger Cosa Nostra presence than other syndicates, but we'll see how that pans out. Big changes off the top of my head? A city government that has some muscle for a change. Tampa also has some fairly significant Scientology presence in Clearwater, so I'm thinking that I'm going to port that over to be a fairly significant Intiaties of the New Dawn presence in Clearwater. (I can't honestly find an SR organization that I'm happy with replacing Scientology. And with the changes that result in SR's timeline, there is no way I can see for Scientogoloy to survive. Once magic returns to the world, I don't see how that particular group cannot take a huge hit. And I figure that the alien philosophy translates easiest into a sort of astral entity philosophy, which sinks in well with the magocracy of the IonD.)

Crime, there's a few thoughts floating around, but not much per se. Traditional drugs will have a presence more than they do in Seattle. The relative close proximity of the cartels' power base in Latin and northern Southern America certainly comes into play here. Plus many of the few remaining cartels don't exactly play friendly with the Azzies, which will make it easier for them to deal in the CAS (ergo, Tampa). A smaller runner community, probably. The whole idea of shadowrunners being a feature on the evening news is, and always has been, BS. Network TV shows devoted to them? Get fucking real. So, a smaller runner community, and one that is probably quite a bit less friendly to Yankee runners who like to play things loud. More money in the city means more heat. Quieter ops is the watchword of the day, most likely.

I also need to figure out what to do with MacDill AFB. Currently, it's the base of operations for CentComm and SOCOM, IIRC. CAS did some weird stuff in their setup after the split, and made almost all civilian intel assets combine into one agency (sort of a combined FBI, ATF, DEA, CIA). So I need to figure out if they would do a similar set up with the military side and what exactly that means for MacDill.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Jeff wrote:A few more random thoughts as well. Might as well organize them here before writing them. Lone Star is the PD in Tampa. I'm thinking that this is a long-time LS town, but that there was a rather spectacular leadership shake up post System Failure and all the events there. Haven't pulled out any major details on this yet, just an idea brewing in the back of my mind.

Wireless Matrix...I'm not sure how to go with this one. I was thinking of using my initial thoughts on the ill-fated Philly campaign setting here in Tampa. Philly was to have been a testbed case for Wireless Matrix long before SysFailure here on American shores. I could do the same with Tampa, though I'm not sure how I feel about that yet. Inversely, the idea that wireless is still new in Tampa is a bit appealing as well.

'Ware - Overall, probably less emphasis on visible cyber. More emphasis on nanotech and bioware, with the city being potentially higher income and more fashion focused.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I plan on dissecting and adding to a lot of this. A lot.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Wait...now I have to keep track of it in two places? Damn you, Khan! :lol
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

I repeat my personal misgivings on the existance of Tampa, and of your attempt to perpetuate the meme.
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

One question for you, what's the the local age range going to be for Tampa and Florida? IIRC in the past its been mentioned that with all the retirees moving down there its made them into a fairly powerful political block, helping keep the average age of elected officials fairly high. That and I just get amusing visuals of all the organised crime guys semi-retiring down there but still keeping a finger in the game. What's not to like about having to deal with a fixer who's an eighty-something Jewish retiree that has to spend half their time during negotiations popping pills or moaning about their medical conditions. :)
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Well, that's definitely going to be a factor in some ways. Not quite as much as it may be normally. One, it's an SR game, and I'm not a Tampa native. Obviously there's going to be some handwaving involved to make it fit the image I have in my head. Two, I'd think that VITAS and the first and second Matrix crash would certainly have some effect on taking out some of the older/sick portions of the population.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
Ampere
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Ampere »

FlakJacket wrote:One question for you, what's the the local age range going to be for Tampa and Florida? IIRC in the past its been mentioned that with all the retirees moving down there its made them into a fairly powerful political block, helping keep the average age of elected officials fairly high. That and I just get amusing visuals of all the organised crime guys semi-retiring down there but still keeping a finger in the game. What's not to like about having to deal with a fixer who's an eighty-something Jewish retiree that has to spend half their time during negotiations popping pills or moaning about their medical conditions. :)
Sounds like a scene out of The Godfather Part II.
;)
Quoth Drunken Master:
"When Colin Powell walks out of your cabinet because of doctrinal issues, you've got problems."
Quoth Moto42:
"Bulldrek, where love and appreciation are accompanied by a volley of gunfire."
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

Ampere wrote:
FlakJacket wrote:One question for you, what's the the local age range going to be for Tampa and Florida? IIRC in the past its been mentioned that with all the retirees moving down there its made them into a fairly powerful political block, helping keep the average age of elected officials fairly high. That and I just get amusing visuals of all the organised crime guys semi-retiring down there but still keeping a finger in the game. What's not to like about having to deal with a fixer who's an eighty-something Jewish retiree that has to spend half their time during negotiations popping pills or moaning about their medical conditions. :)
Sounds like a scene out of The Godfather Part II.
;)
Except all the real organized crime in Tampa tends to come out of Miami these days, or places further south. Well, unless you count the insurance companies.
Ampere
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Ampere »

You mean cartels and the like.

There's still plenty of old mob guys around down in FL, at least as far as portrayed on TV. And of course...TV mirrors RL.
;)
Quoth Drunken Master:
"When Colin Powell walks out of your cabinet because of doctrinal issues, you've got problems."
Quoth Moto42:
"Bulldrek, where love and appreciation are accompanied by a volley of gunfire."
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Ancient History wrote:Except all the real organized crime in Tampa tends to come out of Miami these days, or places further south. Well, unless you count the insurance companies.
Granted. I'm still batting around the OC situation in my head. Realistically, there is no need for the OC focus to move out of Miami and into Tampa. (Well, except for the realistic fact that the Caribbean League is the stupidest thing since forever.) This is probably one of the areas I'll have to stretch things a bit. Ideally, I'll put a few more independents into play, and keep most of the Mob influence tied into Miami. I can't see the yaks or the Triads/Tongs being much of a presence overall. But I have thought about having a bit more influence from some of the remaining Central/South American crime interests.
Serious Paul
Devil

Re: [Shadowrun]Tampa: Bright City Lights

Post by Serious Paul »

The following be my revised take on some of this, as I am also using the setting for an impending Shadowrun game. Many thanks to Jeff Hauze with out whom I couldn't have put this together. As an aside none of my changes should be interpreted to mean my material is any way better than Jeff's. It's just slightly different. I've tried to keep the two seamless as possible, so that my setting doesn't conflict directly with his too often, that way we can utilize each other as resources:

Greater Metro Tampa Sprawl

City at a Glance

The Greater Metro Tampa Sprawl includes the areas that used to be St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Brandon, Apollo Beach, Ruskin, Palmetto and Bradenton where the sprawl merges somewhat with Sarasota, which has crept ever northward since the turn of the century. With temperatures that average around 69.9° year round Tampa is a subtropical paradise where the rich and famous rub elbows while soaking up the sun, and sipping something cool! The latest fashions, ultramodern mass transportation, clean beaches and hot night life make Tampa one of the hottest spots in North America!

Facts at a Glance:

Current Population: 5,380,019
  • Human: 53%
  • Elf: 7%
  • Dwarf: 3%
  • Ork: 25%
  • Troll : 7%
  • Other : 5%
Population Density: 1,894 per square kilometer
Per Capita Income: 97,500 ¥
Below Poverty Level: 41%
On Fortunes Active Traders List: 2%
Corporate Affiliation: 67%
Voting Precincts: 13
Education:
  • < 12 Years: 32%
  • High School: 35%
  • College Degree: 26%
  • Graduate Degree: 7%
Hospitals and Clinics: 59

Geography and Demographics

Located midway down Florida's west coast, about 25 miles east of the Gulf of Mexico, Tampa is bordered on the south and west by the Hillsborough and Old Tampa bays. Downtown is divided by the winding Hillsborough River, which originates northeast of the city and empties into Hillsborough Bay. The city's year-round semitropical climate is free from many of the extremes found elsewhere. Its most remarkable feature is the summer thunderstorm season. On an average of ninety days from June through September, late afternoon thundershowers sweep across the area, making Tampa one of the stormiest cities in the United States.

Politics

Politics in Tampa can easily be described as convoluted at best. The current Mayor of the sprawl is Ray Simmons, an affable human who used to be a street cop, before Tampa privatized it's Police Department in the late 30's. Most famous for solving the Busch Twin murders Mayor Simmons came to office on a True American party platform, and a strong law enforcement platform, capitalizing on Mayor Breckin's administrations failure to protect several witnesses who were murdered while under the cities protection.

Mayor Simmons has close ties with the Governors office, in part because his wife is a close cousin of the governor and of course their party ties, which has lead to some conflicts with the United Corporate Council of the Greater Tampa Metro Area, which represents the 16 major corporations that operate in the Tampa Sprawl.

Mayor Simmons also has faced severe criticism from the Olivia Ruiz, an elven Federal Judge who presides over the 13th Federal District Court. Judge Ruiz has presided over several high profile cases including the cases which helped unseat Mayor Breckin. Judge Ruiz has faced criticism from Mayor Simmons for her heavy handed tactics, as well as her close corporate ties. Her honor was instrumental in setting up the local Lone Star and federal combined Organized Crime Task Force, as well as Evergate, the offshore underwater maximum security prison.

The United Corporate Council of the Greater Tampa Metro Area consists of sixteen Corporations, of varying degrees of influence. All of the big ten MegaCorporations have representatives on the council, except Aztechnology who has been cordially told to take a long walk off a short pier, as well as several local and national corporations. Membership for these smaller corporations is on a rotating basis and competition is fierce.

Getting In and Out

Road

Three major interstates bring road traffic into and through the City of Tampa Bay. Interstate 4 brings in traffic from the eastern coast of Florida, through Orlando and Kissimmee. This road sees the most traffic of a commercial nature, dealing with moving goods from Tampa’s ports to Orlando and points north in CAS.

Interstate 75 passes through the northern borders of the Tampa City limits at Route 54 just northeast of the suburb of Lutz. This major commuter highway splits off into Interstates 275 and 75 just south of Route 54. Interstate 75 continues southeast through Seffner, Brandon, Riverview, Gibsonton and Apollo Beach. Interstate 75 then traverses the length and width of the state of Florida; eventually passing through Port Charlotte, Bonita Springs, and Naples before reaching Miami in the Caribbean League.

Interstate 275 passes through portions of Downtown Tampa before crossing the Howard Franklin Bridge into St. Petersburg. The highway continues through south through St. Petersburg and moves back across Tampa Bay via the Sunshine Skyway Bridge, a six tiered bridge with 2 lanes of traffic going in each direction.

Rail

Three regional rail lines provide access into and around the city of Tampa Bay. The Northern Red Line runs smaller fuel and electric cell powered trains and trams south from the origin point of North Brooksville. This line passes south through Brooksville, mostly following route 41 through Lutz and points south. It then parallels Interstate 275 until reaching the four way (Clover) exchange in the southwestern corner of Ybor City. Passenger trains move west towards the major transit hub of Union Station in downtown Tampa. Commercial units often continue southeast to the two major shipping and commercial hubs (North Gibsonton and Gibsonton) along the South Tamiami Trail. These hubs provide shipping containers to the extensive Gibsonton docks, as well as other commercial transit methods (road, rail, and air via Tampa International Airport). Additional commercial rail lines continue south and east from these two hubs to Miami (Caribbean League) and Port St. Lucie.

The City Blue Line runs passenger and metro style trains, powered by Gridguide systems. The line runs a loop starting from Union Station in the downtown district. The northern leg of the loop runs along aside the commercial Red Line until it branches off at Busch Blvd. It then moves west, passing through Tarpon, Oldsmar, and eventually south through Clearwater. This northern leg continues southwest from Clearwater, moving through the St. Petersburg District and eventually terminates just across from Tropicana Field at the Tropicana Station.

The Green Line is a high-speed maglev train that moves east from Union Station, utilizing two separate multi-line tracks that run parallel along 7th Avenue. As 7th Avenue and Broadway Ave combine, the two lines begin moving in different directions. One heads southeast towards Port St. Lucie and Miami, while the upper track heads towards Kissimmee and Orlando. Both commercial cargo and passenger trains run on these high-speed lines, though the higher price obviously keeps some customers from utilizing this service.

Air

Numerous airports handle the substantial air traffic found in and around the city, but two major airports handle the larger commercial and passenger vessels. Tampa International Airport (TPA) is the only airport in Tampa currently capable of handling the sub-orbital and semi-ballistic craft used for rapid passenger transport in the 21st century. It holds a place of prestige among the denizens of the city, offering a wide variety of both passenger and cargo airlines.

St. Petersburg/Clearwater International Airport (PIE) also handles all types of air traffic, though it cannot handle sub-orbital craft. This has forced SPCI into a secondary role in the city, something that causes the two districts’ Council representatives to grind their teeth. As of 2063, no current plans exist to expand SPCI to handle sub-orbital craft. This will leave the airport out in the cold for a large percentage of the passenger market, forcing SPCI to remain a second-rate primarily commercial traffic facility.

MacDill Air Force Base handles military grade traffic in the area, and is the center of operations for the 23rd Tactical Fighter Wing, and the 4th Support Flight Wing of the Confederated Air Force. Special Operations Command also operates a training center out of MacDill that serves both civil and military training groups.

Two smaller airports exist to serve additional air traffic, particularly city transit VTOL craft. Peter O Knight Airport on the Davis Islands (Downtown District) and Albert Whitted Airport serve as the major municipal airports for the city.

Boat

It is called Tampa *Bay* after all. The amount of boat and naval access to Tampa is near limitless.Individually owned docks and berths are numerous, however there are several significant commercial, private and military sites worth mentioning .

On the commercial side, two shipyards handle the majority of the larger cargo haulers. The Port of Tampa Bay (Downtown District) can handle all types of commercial and passenger vessels. Gibsonton Central Port (Riverview District) also handles the same class of vessels, but typically sees far more commercial traffic than any other type. Buccaneer Pointe Shipyards (Downtown District) can handle medium size cargo vessels, but typically sees mostly passenger vessels and civilian watercraft.

The MacDill Confederated Naval Station handles the majority of military traffic in the area, as well as the Coast Guard and Privateer Fleets.

Dozens of smaller docks, yacht clubs, and boat yards handle the large volume of civilian watercraft and small passenger transports found on Tampa’s waterways. The most prominent of these is the Isla Del Sol Yacht Club (St. Petersburg District), which handles the large majority of the city’s luxury watercraft and private yachts. This is also the home of the annual Rigatta Del Luna, Tampa’s famous non-powered boat race. Safety Harbor Boatyards (Clearwater District) is the home of the lower income fishermen and tourist lines that trawl the Bay. It also sees a great deal of quasi-legal water racers and smugglers, along with Buccaneer Pointe Shipyards (Downtown District).