Mapping Software

A forum for discussing all roleplaying games, from Shadowrun to Bunnies and Burrows. For clarity, please state the name of the game you're discussing in the subject line.
Serious Paul
Devil

Mapping Software

Post by Serious Paul »

This afternoon I purchased Dundjinni once I receive it, I'll let you all know how it works.
Ampere
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Ampere »

I've used Campaign Cartographer. It's nice.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I downloaded Campaign Cartographer, and it is so confusing that I end up hating it. I feel dumb trying to use it. The more I try to use it, the harder it gets.

It seems to me that CC requires a lot more computer knowledge than I have.
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

<i>It seems to me that CC requires a lot more computer knowledge than I have.[/i]

I would say specifically CAD knowledge more then general computer knowledge. You know I'm as retarded as a goat when it comes to computer knowledge, but I can CAD decently when I want to.

I got the trial version, found it pretty much like Microstation. Pretty easy for me, but then I spent six months in college as a CAD Monkey. I can steal Microstation from work if I wanted, so decided it wasn't worth the price just for a bunch of pre-made blocks.

However, for those not having access to a free copy of Microstation, I'd say it's well worth the price.
Last edited by MooCow on Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
Ampere
Wuffle Initiate

Post by Ampere »

Apparently you're just unable to close off bbcode/html tags.

;)
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Okay I have downloaded Dundjinni.

First major complaint: It was insane figuring out to get to the actual page where I could download my software. In my email it says click on the handy track order reference page link in the bottom left hand part of the screen, except at no time did I ever find said link. I had to type that into Google to finally get the link.

Pissed me right off.

Then I proceeded to download the three updates, and the updated art pack. Why couldn't those have come packaged with my download? Great question. When I have an answer you'll know as well.

So now it's off to play with my new toy!
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Second major complaint. The "tool box", and Map Items box cannot, as far as I can tell so far, be embedded into the screen and have to cover up portions of the screen I am mapping on. Well that sucks.

The manual does include as a way cool plus the entire SRD D20! That's pretty damn cool.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Fuck it seems I have a bug, or I screwed something up, because shit ain't right.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

I'll take a look at it ASAP, but I'm not sure when that might be.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Holy shit! This program is crazy amazingly cool. I am enjoying this so much I can't begint o say how much!

Thanks to 3278 for getting it all up and running.

I will try to have a map up for everyone to look at as soon as possible.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Okay here is the map I created in just under 30 minutes.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I still love this, even though it is a bit cost prohibitive to use all the time. I also need to get an over sized printer. Something that can print 24 inches in width, in color.
Bull
Tasty Human

Post by Bull »

I picked up a copy at Gen Con a couple years ago on a whim, though I never got around to really trying it out...

What I really want is a decent, but very basic and very easy to use overland mapper. The 2nd Edition AD&D CD Rom set that had all the core books and such on them came with a great mapper... But I've since lost my copy of the program, and the mapper apparently was unable (or unwilling) to save in any kind of readable image format, which made saving, viewing, and most importantly printing the maps a major PITA. Couldn;t exactly take the files up to Kinko's for printing since they required the program to read 'em :(

Really, all I want is a nice looking, if basic, paint program. Select the ground, terrain, or city/building/landmark image you want, and paint it on. Click and drag to draw roads. That kinda thing.

Can anyone suggest such a thing? Or, can Dundjinni handle that? Like I said, had the program for like 2 years now, but... I'm a slacker with a severe lack of free time. :)

Bull
Bull's Place at Dumpshock!

"Order is Illusion! Chaos is Bliss! Got any Fours?"
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Dundjinni can handle that, although you may have to spend a few minutes on their forums downloading add ons from the free threads. They also make a packet you can purchase and download for less then 15 dollars specifically designed for that.
Bull
Tasty Human

Post by Bull »

Cool, I'll have to play with it some this weekend. Thanks :)

Bull
Bull's Place at Dumpshock!

"Order is Illusion! Chaos is Bliss! Got any Fours?"
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Hit their forums, which is here and specifically this subfora which is filled with page after page of free user made content.