[D&D Forgotten Realms] Favorite spot in the Realms?

A forum for discussing all roleplaying games, from Shadowrun to Bunnies and Burrows. For clarity, please state the name of the game you're discussing in the subject line.
Patience
Bulldrek Pusher

[D&D Forgotten Realms] Favorite spot in the Realms?

Post by Patience »

I like Cormyr, and I also like Sembia, the racist plutocratic society that's so clearly the USA as seen by several WOTC writers. I think it'd rock if there were netbooks that showed the darker side of Faerun.

What's your favorite place on Abeir-Toril, canonical or not?
_
<b>Thorn said:</b> Patience really does rock!!
<b>CykoSpin said:</b> Every time I see Patience (that is, a post by Patience), I think of the Iron Maiden song "Can I Play With Madness". I don't really know why, though; for whatever reason, I just do.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Lurien (I've gotta give a shout out to my peeps...the halflings :D)

Mulhorand because it's a land of opposites. Old world technology and magic, a LG society the approves of slavery, a land that invaded Unther "for its own protection..."
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Lurien is a great time. I also like Waterdeep.
Reika
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Reika »

I'd say Waterdeep, Cormyr and the Dales. Not in any particular order though.
BloodHound
Bulldrekker

Post by BloodHound »

i prefer wandering the Sword Coast and Spine of the World Mtns. It just seems to be where all the action is.
------------------------------------------------------------------
If its one thing I learned from Ghostbusters, its that we never cross the streams.
Patience
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Patience »

Cash wrote:Lurien (I've gotta give a shout out to my peeps...the halflings :D)

Mulhorand because it's a land of opposites. Old world technology and magic, a LG society the approves of slavery, a land that invaded Unther "for its own protection..."
I also like that Mulhorandi's pantheon is terrified of merging with the greater Faerunian pantheon, as they've already sort of lost two of their deities to it. S' a nice tense atmosphere for clerical intrigue, when your gods are hitting the 'convert!!' button hard. Mulhorandi always makes me think of a Black & White MMORPG. :P
_
<b>CykoSpin said:</b> Every time I see Patience (that is, a post by Patience), I think of the Iron Maiden song "Can I Play With Madness". I don't really know why, though; for whatever reason, I just do.
Patience
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Patience »

Serious Paul wrote:Lurien is a great time. I also like Waterdeep.
Why Waterdeep?
_
Patience
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Patience »

Reika wrote:I'd say Waterdeep, Cormyr and the Dales. Not in any particular order though.

I know what *I* like about Cormyr. What do you like?
_
Patience
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Patience »

BloodHound wrote:i prefer wandering the Sword Coast and Spine of the World Mtns. It just seems to be where all the action is.
I've never had a campaign that went up to the Spine. Hm. Maybe I should change that.
_
Eliahad
Squire of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Eliahad »

Athkatla and Amn. One) I'm a sucker for the Baldur's Gate series, and Two) It's the city of coin. Where /aren't/ you going to find a boatload of intrigue :) Oh, and I rescued Waukeen once.
Patience
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Patience »

Eliahad wrote: Oh, and I rescued Waukeen once.
:lol

You dog, you.

Okay, spill.
_
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Waterdeep has a character to it, a sort of shady one at times, but with a code. I like that. Read my posts as Torin Proud in Artistic Liscense.
Reika

Post by Reika »

I'm not sure why I like Cormyr so much (many of my FR chars come from there). I think part of it is that it has somewhat a "real-world" Camelot feel, they're also fairly open minded, there is no state sanctioned religion, though there are preferred deities worshipped by the populace and the royal family.

Besides, how many other countries have a king who'll go out and kick the ass of an ancient red dragon that's terrorizing is nation? Granted, he did die from his wounds, but he got the dragon first (though according to the novels, it wasn't really a dragon, still fucking evil and super powerful though).
Patience
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Patience »

Serious Paul wrote:Waterdeep has a character to it, a sort of shady one at times, but with a code. I like that. Read my posts as Torin Proud in Artistic Liscense.
*lazy salute* after I take a nap, so I shall.
_
BloodHound
Bulldrekker

Post by BloodHound »

I like the Spine of the World Mtns because our DM had us looking for ancient Dwarven ruins and the such, and I usually play a coin hungry rouge or a restless adventuerer type, so it was a lot of fun, and cold, very cold.
Another DM of mine turned the time tables forward a little so we could have steam power, airships, and black powder weapons. We had a group of Gnome Pirates assaulting the airways. It was the most fun i've had out of a D&D game.
If its one thing I learned from Ghostbusters, its that we never cross the streams.
Moonwolf
Wuffle Master

Post by Moonwolf »

The silver marches for me. Just a good part of the world, lots to do, at most power levels really.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

BloodHound wrote:I like the Spine of the World Mtns because our DM had us looking for ancient Dwarven ruins and the such, and I usually play a coin hungry rouge or a restless adventuerer type, so it was a lot of fun, and cold, very cold.
Another DM of mine turned the time tables forward a little so we could have steam power, airships, and black powder weapons. We had a group of Gnome Pirates assaulting the airways. It was the most fun i've had out of a D&D game.

The gnomes and humans of Lantan already have all of that. :)
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
BloodHound
Bulldrekker

Post by BloodHound »

he made it so everyone else did too, that way we could pluder cruise air ships and the such. There were also railroads as I recall. The most fun was seeing my drunken monk jump over the side of the ship, plummet for a while, and then gracefully land (thanks to a ring of feather fall) in the midst of the guards.
Patience
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Patience »

Reika wrote:Besides, how many other countries have a king who'll go out and kick the ass of an ancient red dragon that's terrorizing is nation? Granted, he did die from his wounds, but he got the dragon first (though according to the novels, it wasn't really a dragon, still fucking evil and super powerful though).
I don't like D&D novels; I read the DragonLance stuff in a bookstore once and thought it was really stupid. I do, however, really really want to read <i>Cormyr</i>, because I too think Azoun IV was badass. :)

One of my favorite FR characters, a thief, came from Cormyr as well; her grandfather took Azoun IV up on his offer of conditional nobility, and the family still has a really small but well defended keep up in the Stonelands.
_
Patience
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Patience »

Moonwolf wrote:The silver marches for me. Just a good part of the world, lots to do, at most power levels really.
I like that Alustriel is trying to rebuild Myth Drannor; I think, unfortunately, it'll all end in tears.
_
Moonwolf
Wuffle Master

Post by Moonwolf »

Mostly because of that prat Dwarf Harbromm. He's going to screw it all up at some point.
Patience
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Patience »

Moonwolf wrote:Mostly because of that prat Dwarf Harbromm. He's going to screw it all up at some point.
I completely agree. I think he should have a horrible accident with a magic item that puts him to sleep for 100 years.
_
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Waterdeep? Is that the one with the second city underneath it from what I vaguely remember?
Moonwolf
Wuffle Master

Post by Moonwolf »

Yeah, Waterdeep has Undermountain (wacky dungeon of doom) under it. Undermountain has Skullport (fairly small city) on it's 3rd level.
Patience
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Patience »

FlakJacket wrote:
Waterdeep? Is that the one with the second city underneath it from what I vaguely remember?
Undermountain. Not so much a city as The Ultimate Dungeon. There's also the Promenade, which is under the city and is a temple dedicated to Eliastraee....oh, fuckit, yes, it's that one.
_
Reika

Post by Reika »

Patience wrote: I don't like D&D novels; I read the DragonLance stuff in a bookstore once and thought it was really stupid. I do, however, really really want to read <i>Cormyr</i>, because I too think Azoun IV was badass. :)
Azoun was a serious badass, the only problem is Greenwood is a truly sucktastic writer. He horribly mangled what could have been a really good trilogy, if you lived closer I'd lend you my copies of the books. They aren't worth buying new.
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Patience wrote:Undermountain. Not so much a city as The Ultimate Dungeon. There's also the Promenade, which is under the city and is a temple dedicated to Eliastraee....oh, fuckit, yes, it's that one.
Did a quick search and the bit I was remembering was Skullport - the really shifty cousin of Waterdeep.
Anguirel

Post by Anguirel »

I'd say people are probably partial to what they know. I ran a campaign through Amn, Tethyr and Calimshan that worked very well. Tethyr was still a complete anarchic non-country, so around Level 8 (in AD&D 2nd), after clearing a small rundown keep of undead out and acquiring the love of the local populace, instead of moving on they moved in and started building up their own kingdom in the middle of it.

So, I like that region, though I also like Thay for being a mageocracy with a Lich on the ruling council.
complete. dirty. whore.
_Patience said: Ang, you are truly a font of varied and useful information.
IRC Fun:
<Reika> What a glorious way to die.
<Jackal> What are you, Klingon?
<Reika> Worse, a paladin.
<Jackal> We're all fucked.
Patience
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Patience »

Reika wrote:
Patience wrote: I don't like D&D novels; I read the DragonLance stuff in a bookstore once and thought it was really stupid. I do, however, really really want to read <i>Cormyr</i>, because I too think Azoun IV was badass. :)
Azoun was a serious badass, the only problem is Greenwood is a truly sucktastic writer. He horribly mangled what could have been a really good trilogy, if you lived closer I'd lend you my copies of the books. They aren't worth buying new.
So many RPG authors are like that - great with the ideas, horrible with the execution. According to Greenwood, he was edited into below-mediocrity. I take that with some salt.

Damn. Yeah, too bad I'm not closer.
_
Patience
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Patience »

FlakJacket wrote:
Patience wrote:Undermountain. Not so much a city as The Ultimate Dungeon. There's also the Promenade, which is under the city and is a temple dedicated to Eliastraee....oh, fuckit, yes, it's that one.
Did a quick search and the bit I was remembering was Skullport - the really shifty cousin of Waterdeep.
Which is also directly underneath, IIRC?
_
Patience
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Patience »

Anguirel wrote:I'd say people are probably partial to what they know. I ran a campaign through Amn, Tethyr and Calimshan that worked very well. Tethyr was still a complete anarchic non-country, so around Level 8 (in AD&D 2nd), after clearing a small rundown keep of undead out and acquiring the love of the local populace, instead of moving on they moved in and started building up their own kingdom in the middle of it.

So, I like that region, though I also like Thay for being a mageocracy with a Lich on the ruling council.
I thought it was wow-fully amazing when Tethyr killed its rulers; even the ones that fled the country were tracked down and killed horribly. I was taken aback, I have to say.

That sounds nicely unsettled and plotworthy.

Yeah, but aren't there something like two people who know for sure he's a lich?
_
Reika

Post by Reika »

Having read enough of Greenwood's schlock, I can definitely say he wasn't edited into mediocrity. He's a truly crapass writer.

And yeah, Undermountain is directly below Waterdeep, there's several ways down iirc, but the main one is through a tavern. One of the favored games of chance is whether or not an adventuring group will survive going in and how long. :)
Moonwolf
Wuffle Master

Post by Moonwolf »

Patience wrote:
Yeah, but aren't there something like two people who know for sure he's a lich?
He doesn't try to hide it as far as the art goes, and he's been the Zulkir of Necromancy for ages, so it's fairly obvious to people, at least those near the top of the Thay heirachy.
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

Call me nuts, but I'm pretty big for Waterdeep. You can, if you choose, go both ways there: you can get your SR-esque urban RP above and your pure dungeon hacking down below.

I'm also a sucker for BG2 and Minsc, so I'd like to check out Rashamen sometime.
"There is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the present moment. A man's whole life is a succession of moment after moment. If one fully understands the present moment, there will be nothing else to do, and nothing left to pursue." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Patience
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Patience »

ak404 wrote:Call me nuts, but I'm pretty big for Waterdeep. You can, if you choose, go both ways there: you can get your SR-esque urban RP above and your pure dungeon hacking down below.
I just got the new Waterdeep sourcebook. What I liked best about it was that it suggested the sheer MASS of people in the city/surrounds; it's a canonically detailed urban environment that you can modify to your heart's content, and I love that feeling. :)
_
Reika

Post by Reika »

Patience wrote: I just got the new Waterdeep sourcebook. What I liked best about it was that it suggested the sheer MASS of people in the city/surrounds; it's a canonically detailed urban environment that you can modify to your heart's content, and I love that feeling. :)
That's always been one of the appeals of Waterdeep, it's a massive city that has so many different things going on that it's quite easy to set an entire campaign there.
Patience
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Patience »

Reika wrote:
Patience wrote: I just got the new Waterdeep sourcebook. What I liked best about it was that it suggested the sheer MASS of people in the city/surrounds; it's a canonically detailed urban environment that you can modify to your heart's content, and I love that feeling. :)
That's always been one of the appeals of Waterdeep, it's a massive city that has so many different things going on that it's quite easy to set an entire campaign there.
You could definitely do a Shadowrun-type thing there. Have you read Eberron? I'm waiting for them to come out with a sourcebook only on Sharn, which could be cool. I don't know about Eberron in general, though. I don't like it as much as FR, and I can't figure out WHY.
_
Reika

Post by Reika »

I haven't really read that much about Eberron mainly because I got tired of D&D, but having talked with a few friends it sounds like they're trying to make a new FR with little success.
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

The supposed premise for Eberron is interesting - an industrial revolution where magic is the new science. A familiar and popular theme in games like Arcanum and novels such as Pratchett's Discworld series and Turtledove's Darkness series. The catalyst for this industrial magic explosion was a massive, world-wide war, or the closest thing to it. Fair enough.

In practice, it doesn't work out like that, becuase the writers (most of them) seem stuck in the old D&D mentality that Science is Bad, and Magic Is Not Science. So you don't see guns or engines, you don't really see mass-manufactured magical items, and frankly you don't see a lot of industry or revolution. There's some clever ideas stuck in there, but they just don't see fruition.

Take dragonshards. What a great idea, a type of magical shard that empowers magical items, or at least certain types of magical items! Perfect material to explain mass-produced magical items, right? Wrong. Dragonshards are essentially window dressing - you need them to make some items, but they don't do anything, especially not in and of themselves. So instead of having an Artificer War (yeah, I'm harkening to Magic: the Gathering's Antiquities conflict), with rival nations combatting over scarce resources while their greatest sorcerer-engineers are at work building better stuff and refining theories...you get some dungeon crawls and Xen'drik, which is Australia with drow and ancient relics.

So it's disapointing. I mean, I'd have been happy with a simple Brust-style Dragaera setting, where magic is more commonplace, and even the kid in the street can manage a couple cantrips.