[SR] An adventure/NPC idea, input? "The Rain-dar Tower&

A forum for discussing all roleplaying games, from Shadowrun to Bunnies and Burrows. For clarity, please state the name of the game you're discussing in the subject line.
Moto42
Wuffle Master

[SR] An adventure/NPC idea, input? "The Rain-dar Tower&

Post by Moto42 »

The run in short: Torrential rain has fallen in Seatle for 3 days, almost non-stop. A steriotypical aging redneck with a touch of conspiracy nut and more cash than someone in his position should have hires the runners to destroy the KBMB news-station's "rain dar" tower in an effort to stop the downpour. (He's convinced that the radar tower makes rain, they just aim it somewhere and it will "rain dar"

In a pretty simple B&E run the PC's fend off or evade corp security, blow up the tower and get the hell out of there. Within, 2 hours the rain has stoped and the clouds are disapating. Thanking them heartily Mr Johnson pays them and the players are left thinking that the old man knows much more about "what's really going on" than they originaly thought.

The kicker they will probably never know about is that the rain clearing up after their job is done is a complete coincidence. But I plan to use this NPC on occasion for similarely strange runs that don't always have the intended result.

This idea needs a lot more fleshing out, any advice/ideas would be appreciated. I'll have a better version up later.
Hello, I'm a signature VIRUS!
Copy me to your signature to help me grow.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I have a question. This is a broadcast tower right? For TV/Radio/Whatever right? So it's pretty big, and probably up high right?

So why wouldn't they just buy a mortar or a missile launcher and forget all that security bypassing stuff?
Moto42
Wuffle Master

Post by Moto42 »

GM fiat.

Their contacts can't get them a mortar/missile for about a week, the run goes down tonight..
Moto42
Wuffle Master

Post by Moto42 »

GM fiat.

Their contacts can't get them a mortar/missile for about a week, the run goes down tonight..
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

What if they already own a missile/mortar?
"There is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the present moment. A man's whole life is a succession of moment after moment. If one fully understands the present moment, there will be nothing else to do, and nothing left to pursue." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lord Death Hand
No-Life Loser

Post by Lord Death Hand »

Well its jammed. Why? Because the GM said so. :D
I am the evil monkey what lives in your nuts.

Lick my butt and suck my balls, America FUCK YEAH!
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Because the GM said so? Yeah, that's the best way to go. If you don't want the runners to bring their toy, figure out a believable reason why they can't bring it. Maybe the run is out of Seattle and customs is a bitch or it can't look like an explosion took it out....
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Moto42
Wuffle Master

Post by Moto42 »

If they have one already then you don't run this adventure. They already have a way of avoiding all the action ready made and won't have to think about it for more than a moment and there no fun in that.
Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

No! We mush hash this out! :D

Let us know how the run goes and what their reactions were.
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
I am poison
Tasty Human

Post by I am poison »

Using multiple rain-dar towers, scattered in various locations, might prevent or at least discourage the [over] use of expensive missiles compared to the free C4 granted by the Johnson.

Altering the mission so that the runners must redirect the tower or towers and thus the rain (how interesting would it be to watch as with each tower changed the rain reduces in one area and clouds form in another...). The difficulty increases as the runners must lock or block access to the rain-dar controls.

Perhaps the runners find a central command station or clues that point towards a Shalish syndicate using weather magic for extorsion, meaning that they must sneak unto Council Island to destroy the group's medicine lodge. Is it a corp using such magics to delay construction on a competitor's facility? Is the redirected rain now causing flooding?
_<font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Shedim Inside ®</hr>