[SR] Web Comic: Bulletproof

A forum for discussing all roleplaying games, from Shadowrun to Bunnies and Burrows. For clarity, please state the name of the game you're discussing in the subject line.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

[SR] Web Comic: Bulletproof

Post by DV8 »

I don't like it, but I thought some of you might; Bulletproof.
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Hhmm, not really my kind of thing either. The art is just a little too cartoon-y for my tastes.
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
Subversive Agent
Bulldrekker

Post by Subversive Agent »

That makes three of us.
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

Four. Quasi-anime with a side of Elf fetish.
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

Not enough naked hamsters for my tastes.
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

I dislike web comics, I dislike most anime, especially the faerie-fetish type, but I do like shadowrun. It might not be my thing, but I'm going to support the initiative anyway.
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

I hate anime with a bloody passion usually reserved for people who talk at the cinema, but this at least has the virtue of being very beautiful. While I would prefer a different style - I mean really, really prefer - I find the artwork very pretty. Excellent use of color and shadow. Honestly, it's the writing that kills it for me, and that's /still/ a cut above most webcomics. I wouldn't have assumed this was amateur if I didn't know.
Reika
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Reika »

It's not bad, but I think it's overly melodramatic. Going to keep reading it on and off since it's something different, think the art is very good, but then again, I'm into that type of thing.

Anyway, thank you for pointing it out, Deev. :)
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

I gotta say, I'd kill to team up with the artist. Copious skill and talent aside, anyone who references Radiohead with the title of their webcomic is okay with me.
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

After reading Chapter 1, I have to say I really like the artist's interpretation of the astral pressence and spirits.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

twitch

Drawing style, its good for a non-professional. Color wise, nice use. But the two together...bleh. That digital colorization is just too smooth for the rough lines of the art. The outlines aren't hard enough to support that sort of gradieated shading. We won't get into my pet peeve of manga/anime wannabes who don't know how to cel shade though :7

We'll see if the story has merit later.

10:41 Kai: Ohayou minna
10:42 Adam: ENGLISH MOTHERFUCKER! :)
10:44 Kai: Fuck off, how's that? ;P
10:45 Adam: Much better.
Daki
No-Life Loser

Post by Daki »

Other note... why is everyone so damn pretty(*) in this story??? These are runners... not sim-stars!

(*) IC's Jake character is excluded from this generalization since Jake is a high-price whore. :D
Gunny
SMITE!™ Grand Master

Post by Gunny »

Bulletproof is pretty, but painful to read. I'm guessing Kitsune was surged, otherwise, I'd love to know how she got that look.
<center><b><font size=1><font color="#FF9900">"Invaders blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubber pants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!" -Zim</font></font></b></center>
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Given the title of the page, the manga style, the fact that Kitsune is the name for a japanese fox spirit, I am assuming author self-insertion either from online persona or other inspiration ;)

Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

Gunny wrote:Bulletproof is pretty, but painful to read. I'm guessing Kitsune was surged, otherwise, I'd love to know how she got that look.
I figured the author was doing an homage to the fox-shapeshifter of the same name in the SNES game.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Yeah, I was with AnHi on this one. It just screamed out in memory of the immortal, unlimited Essence, godlike magic toting, cyberzombie badass....Jake.

Badass here walking around toting an assault cannon and having way too much crap in his body...and they give him the name of Jake? How the hell did I ever think he was that badass?

"I'm in disguise now. Those doctors will never recognize me. I'm wearing sunglasses, dude."

Ah...memories.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

Armitage rocked.
Jeff Hauze
Wuffle Trainer

Post by Jeff Hauze »

Armitage was indeed cool. But I give the ultimate coolness award to Norbert and the word bowb.

A dwarf who yells "Let's set our hair on fire!" while negotiating contracts is just the shit. And the word bowb for bud...that's supercool.
Screw liquid diamond. I want to be able to fling apartment building sized ingots of extracted metal into space.
DV8
Evil Incarnate

Post by DV8 »

"Tee hee yo har!"
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

Kai wrote:Drawing style, its good for a non-professional. Color wise, nice use. But the two together...bleh. That digital colorization is just too smooth for the rough lines of the art. The outlines aren't hard enough to support that sort of gradieated shading. We won't get into my pet peeve of manga/anime wannabes who don't know how to cel shade though :7
Funny. Being an anime-hater, I prefer it to the look of "real" manga/anime.
Kai
Wuffle Master

Post by Kai »

Well, duh :) Anime/manga is primarily done in a tone shading style, usually hard edges to color/shade differentiation, blending and gradiation isn't the norm. Being someone who likes the manga style, seeing that sort of style with the 'wrong' shading method is irksome. Sort of like seeing a nice designer three piece suit and realizing its made of a plastic tablecloth upon closer look.

Patience
Bulldrek Pusher

Post by Patience »

Hm. I'm getting 404s at that page and at his/her main domain. Wonder if it was advertised over at dumpshock and if she/he then exceeded his/her bandwidth?
_
<b>Thorn said:</b> Patience really does rock!!
<b>CykoSpin said:</b> Every time I see Patience (that is, a post by Patience), I think of the Iron Maiden song "Can I Play With Madness". I don't really know why, though; for whatever reason, I just do.
I am poison
Tasty Human

Post by I am poison »

It seems to be up again. Rydia is a free service with multiple web comics and artists. And as typical for such services, it suffers occasional hiccups that can last for hours to days.

Bulletproof was mentioned on Dumpshock long ago.

And the artist is a she named Nicole Chartrand located in Quebec Canada, which partially explains the dialog. I love it anyways - despite her casting spells from the astral and other violations of SR rules and regulations. Melodrama suits Shadowrun very well, in my never so humble opinion.
paladin2019
Bulldrek Pimp

Post by paladin2019 »

Nah, her chars just have really good drain resistance rolls to avoid the physical damage you take casting while astral.
-call me Andy, dammit