[SR] Safes

A forum for discussing all roleplaying games, from Shadowrun to Bunnies and Burrows. For clarity, please state the name of the game you're discussing in the subject line.
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

[SR] Safes

Post by ak404 »

Out of curiosity, what kind of measures do you think will be built into safes in the SR world?

After watching a series of movies about expert safecrackers, I'm just wondering how well a professional safe cracking physical adept would do in the SR world.
"There is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the present moment. A man's whole life is a succession of moment after moment. If one fully understands the present moment, there will be nothing else to do, and nothing left to pursue." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I think there would definitely be some high denisty low weight materials being used at all levels. I could see sculpted host systems built into safes with data storage, as well as a variety of security features. Vanishing SANs, the whole works.

I could see biometric features being pretty big-maybe retinal scanners, thumb/digit prints, as well as maybe a voice code of some sort. Alphanumeric key pads, and slash card technology could certainly be intergrated. So could cybernetic interfaces-datajacks, induction jacks, maybe coded eye laser bursts to open it (Based of some sort of light recognition pattern), even ultrasound activated locking devices.

Lettering and numbering ont he safe could be printed a wider variety of spectrums, preventing normal vision from perceiving it.

Security features can range pretty widely, from stun pads and gas grenades to self destructing glass fragmentation plates, and conductive hinges/pieces that are tamper proof.
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

Fuck, you probably forgot to mention spell anchors, but damn. A mundane would have to be one hell of an individual to be a professional safe cracker (legal or no), a physad might be able to pull it off, but dog, what kind of adept abilities would we be going for here?

Also, I'm gonna make the assumption that shit like microscopic vision and stuff like overlay vision would be available as goggle wear in addition to cyber. I haven't been able to find any references to non-cyber microscopic vision, but how much do you think a monocle like that would run?
"There is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the present moment. A man's whole life is a succession of moment after moment. If one fully understands the present moment, there will be nothing else to do, and nothing left to pursue." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Not much. Figure what? Thermo Goggles cost 2200 nuyen? Add another 500 for lowlight on the same googles. Microscopic might run another 2k if that. And thats being exspensive.

I left magic out because thats a whole 'nother world. The stuff you can do with anchored and triggered spellls... Well I'd be scared shitless to crack a really good Magicers safe.
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

For serious vaults I'd expect them to utilise the whole spectrum of biometric features- thumbprint, voiceprint, retinal scan- all the way up the DNA scans. IIRC, SotA 2063 says they only take about a minute or two to do a scan so it wouldn't be a problem.

So if you wanted to be completely paranoid you get a safe with a combination lock- a manually keyed in number sequence, a swipe card type thing- probably an electonic key string stored on your credstick, a retinal scanner, voiceprint scanner, thumbprint scanner and DNA scanner. And that's ignoring the magical defences or the security systems you have on the room that the safe/vault is in. :D
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
MooCow
Orbital Cow Gunner

Post by MooCow »

high denisty low weight materials
Make it easier to pick up and cart off. :D
_
Cain is a Whore
Instant Cash is a Slut
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Yeah. Besides, there's just something reassuring about a safe that has some heft to it. :) But back to the topic at hand, what sort of nasty magical surprises can people think of to incorporate into a safe or vault?
The 86 Rules of Boozing

75. Beer makes you mellow, champagne makes you silly, wine makes you dramatic, tequila makes you felonious.
sinsual
Bondsman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by sinsual »

More like so you don't have to reinforce the shit out of the floor to keep the focker from falling thru.

Now the real question isn't whether there would be all that, the more realistic question is...how much does a fragger want to spend? Just do a look online for safes, look at the costs involved in whats available today and then figure in all the goodies you want. Now for say that penthouse owned by a mid/high level manager to keep his wifes precious jewels and some collector simsense, how much of all that other stuff do you think he would really have?

Flak: anything out of D&D for spell traps could be adapted if you think about it...
www.evieshope.com
No infant should have Eye Cancer...
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

In order to cart it off you'd have to remove it from its spot on the wall/floor/where ever and thereby disconnect the pressure sensors that keep the security system its there, plus you have to get to it. Add in GPS tracking and maybe a built in phone with some programming that allowed a user to remotely track it, listen to audio from its surrondings, maybe even live video, or worse remotely detonate it.

Magic wise I could easily see bound spirits for important enough stuff, maybe watchers. Any sort of combined detection spells to trigger all sorts of nasty surprises-Stun stuff I'd suspect in order to keep from damaging valueables. Wards possibly? Maybe even illusionary distractions and the like.
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Wards or barriers most likely so you can't have someone on the astral whiz through and take a look inside-but then you've got to consider lighting. The main thing would be having something like a fire elemental or the like materialise inside the safe to destroy anything inside it.[/quote]
The 86 Rules of Boozing

ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

I'd go for a high force single shot mana ball myself.
Paul
Tasty Human

Post by Paul »

Another thing to consider is who has a safe? People who have money, and more importantly a secure place to live. Corporate enclaves, AA neighborhoods, Gang bosses with lots of soldatoes. People with the security to consider leaving somethng valueable in one place.

When considering magic the contents of the safe become all important. Are they replaceable? If not then any sort of really damaging spell or any elemental manipulation is out of the question.
Kick Rocks
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

Which is why I'd suggest a manaball: IIRC, it targets willpower.
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

I'd probably suggest stunball since it's always nice to have a little... 'chat' with whomever was trying to rob you. Questions like what were they after, are they freelance or being paid by someone to do it etc. Also means it's all nice and legal. If however you don't really care what's legal or not, that's when you hook up the gas system spraying Seven-7 linked to the silent alarm on the thing. ;)

That's a thought. Have a dummy decoy safe and the real one. Drop a gas grenade with Neurostun in the decoy safe with the pin out and close the door before it goes off. You now have a safe filled with pressurised Neuroastun gas and whoever opens the door next gets a face full of it. :)
The 86 Rules of Boozing

Cash
Needs Friends

Post by Cash »

Doesn't Neurostun degrade after a minute?
<font color=#5c7898>A high I.Q. is like a jeep. You'll still get stuck; you'll just be farther from help when you do.
</font>
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

I can't recall, but even so thats 20 combat turns. Long enough to work! :D
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Hhmm, you could have a point. Okay, we'll just have to find something that doesn't degrade then.
The 86 Rules of Boozing

ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

Starving crotch weasel?
Anguirel
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Anguirel »

Cash wrote:Doesn't Neurostun degrade after a minute?
Most of them disperse or degrade, but they have to be contained initially somehow. Make the safe into the gas grenade. ;)
complete. dirty. whore.
_Patience said: Ang, you are truly a font of varied and useful information.
IRC Fun:
<Reika> What a glorious way to die.
<Jackal> What are you, Klingon?
<Reika> Worse, a paladin.
<Jackal> We're all fucked.
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

Y'know, I'm trying to remember this one movie - maybe it was The Jackal, but I'm only thinking that because I'm in a Bruce Willis mood. The guy doct taped a grenade into tthe inner wall of a safe and if you opened it too fast, the pin would be pulled out. What ya had to do was open it slowly, then cut the cable on the pin before opening it all the way.
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

As long as you could stand losing the contents of the safe, a great idea. Hell thermite could be used in an oxygen deprived environment...
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Thermite is what you hook up to the alarm system to kick in if someone tries to break into the safe and sets the alarm off- pretty much the ultimate safety precaution. But if gas wont work, how about a claymore mine attachec to the back inside wall of the thing with a trigger wire connected to the door? :)
The 86 Rules of Boozing

Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

Legality becomes a question too. How many people can afford to explain the results of a Claymore?Only a few.
FlakJacket
Orbital Cow Private

Post by FlakJacket »

Uh, who'd have to explain anything? Not like there'd be anyone around to lodge a complaint or anything? :D Although I suppose the noise from one of those things must be a bit loud. :/
The 86 Rules of Boozing