Stereotypical

A forum for discussing all roleplaying games, from Shadowrun to Bunnies and Burrows. For clarity, please state the name of the game you're discussing in the subject line.
Ancient History
Demon

Stereotypical

Post by Ancient History »

How stereotypical do you play a character of a specific race/profession?

For example: If you're a dwarf, do you go in for the long beard, the mining, the smithing, the living underground and whatnot?

Likewise, if you use a stereotype, where do you get it? Tolkein? Pratchett? Warhammer? Star Trek? Star Wars Before Lucs Fucked With It?
Serious Paul
Devil

Post by Serious Paul »

It's a pretty broad question, but for my own part I'd play a stereotype if it suited my purposes. I.e. if it played into my overall character sceme.

At times if it suits my needs as a GM, I will use stereotypes.

[Edit]As for whom inspires my stereotypes I use a mixture of Tolkien, and other fantasy authors at times, and in others I use various fiction authors who have written ins everal genres.
Reika
Freeman of the Crimson Assfro

Post by Reika »

The closest I tend to get to playing stereotypes is making the "typical" opposites. Such as a drow paladin of a sun god in D&D (a char I still want to play, but people twitch for some reason ;) ).
TheScamp
Wuffle Trainer

Post by TheScamp »

I like playing archetypes, personally. It's fun for me to make your 'typical' type characer actually interesting in a way that's more than just saying, "He's your everyday dwarven fighter, but he likes bananas!"
ak404
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by ak404 »

I like playing stereotypes as well: dwarven warriors with big fucking axes, halfling thieves, elven wizards or ranger with long bows. It just seems...right. I just screw up the personalities, that's all: that elven ranger will be abrasive as all hell, the halfling'll have a complex about his size, and the dwarf might be a little pansy with girly hands who doesn't like to get his armor all bloody. Who knows?

However, I also like playing wacky off-beat characters, and if there's a race that doesn't get a stereotype, so much the better. Show me a monster out of the Monster Manual, and I will make a character out of it.

Actually, that's one of the reasons I like Shadowrun so much: before D&D 3E, it was so easy to buck trends with dwarven mages and elven street sams, but then again, you really couldn't pigeonhole any of the races into a certain role and only that role...
"There is surely nothing other than the single purpose of the present moment. A man's whole life is a succession of moment after moment. If one fully understands the present moment, there will be nothing else to do, and nothing left to pursue." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
No-Life Loser

Post by 3278 »

I don't try to avoid it, but it doesn't seem to happen all that often, anyway. A character with a logical background seldom turns out to be stereotypical in any but the most peripheral ways.
Ghotty
Bulldrekker

Post by Ghotty »

D&D: I rarely play your average races, if i can get away with it. I don't mean i play bugbears and centaurs, but i like Hobgoblins, Orcs, and Goblins. Those a always fun to play.

As far as stereotypes go, i agree with three-two. If you sit down and logically create your character, and come up with an engaging story, then the character doesn't have to be stereotypical. Ideas like the son of a nobleman knight, who's son joined the Magic Guild. He was a wizard, but he had expertise and Bastard Sword skillz.

Or a human fighter/rogue, who is little more than a common street thug. Stereotypical, perhaps. But it makes excellent sense.

Clerics who are quite forceful in their condemation of other dieties and their worshippers.
Allahu Akbar
lordhellion
Wuffle Grand Master

Post by lordhellion »

I only ever seem to play as humans, so there's not much in the way of stereotypes to run with. The closest I get is that I always try to make my character as much like me as possible, only originating from the game world. (I'm sure that there's a psychological analysis in there somewhere...)
_No one was ever put in a history book for being a great conformist.
Ancient History
Demon

Post by Ancient History »

I once had a campaign with no humans. None. The reason why is because my group was bitching about stereotypes. Mainly elves and dwarves being "Elder races" and why they sucked next to their "young" human companions. I put this down to the fact that few games reach the point where PCs die of old age, wherin the demihuman players would have an advantage; and of course everybody wants to be Elric of Melnibone and Gotrek Gurnisson.

Shadowrun was actually the first game I came across that really shattered demihuman stereotypes; even Dark Sun didn't do as much to change how I looked at how the characters could be played rather than how most books play them.